Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #16

Took .5 of a gram off each valve decided to start small, I bought a valve removal tool that works so its easy to take off an put on now. Engine is mostly back together waiting for feeler gauges to set valves but I think I stopped the engine at beginning of exhaust stroke like a smart person so I need to turn it over to actual tdc before I do that. Main jets are otw as well. I drilled the one in it currently but I am almost sure its going to be too rich (went a little to far). Hopefully will be able to ride by this weekend. Leaving this as inspiration even though its shoddily done

Old 03-05-2020, 12:04 AM   #17

When you talkin about the 250cc upgrading to a 300cc jug would you feel that 30cc difference? Also what kind of Cam did you buy and do you have a link

Old 03-05-2020, 12:06 AM   #18

One of the reasons I'm asking is because here in Mexico they do sell a 300cc version of a hawk style clone but the price difference is about $1,000 more for the 300. Reading what you said it makes me wonder what actual cc's are in those 300s. Is it more cost-effective just to buy the 300 or how much do one of those 300cc jugs cost

Old 03-05-2020, 01:45 AM   #19

If it's on a standard CG 250, everything I've heard is that, for reliability's sake, don't do it. That being said, if it's a true 250 (like a ZS169FMM), I've heard they have some room to grow.

Old 03-05-2020, 12:16 PM   #20

Here is my weird take on it, and this is coming from a guy that has put a lot of time and a little bit of money into his CG clone trying to get more performance out of it.

You could spend quite a lot of money chasing power out of one of these engines. stainless valves, custom piston, cam, etc. Heck, even a small ihi turbocharger. You might get an impressive 25hp or so out of it, even without forced induction

Or, you could buy a used XR250R engine, instantly have 25hp, gain a 6th gear, have factory reliability, and all you need is to maybe fab a couple of mount brackets.

Sounds like a strange thing coming from me, but my pursuit of better performance from my Hawk engine is purely just because I love to tinker around. My whole goal was to get as much as I could with minimal investment. Porting the head myself only cost me maybe 40 bucks. The cam I ordered, 95 bucks. The carb I have, which I could have gone cheaper and probably had the same results, also 95 bucks (cheaper route is about 35 dollars).

At the end of the day, if I took this sub 15hp rated engine and got it to make even 22hp, I would be happy and impressed with the results. One thing I have always been cognizant of is the nature of this engine. It is a 2 valve pushrod engine made in China. It will have limitations, and it will never be as good as many other engines out there.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-05-2020, 03:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Here is my weird take on it, and this is coming from a guy that has put a lot of time and a little bit of money into his CG clone trying to get more performance out of it.

You could spend quite a lot of money chasing power out of one of these engines. stainless valves, custom piston, cam, etc. Heck, even a small ihi turbocharger. You might get an impressive 25hp or so out of it, even without forced induction

Or, you could buy a used XR250R engine, instantly have 25hp, gain a 6th gear, have factory reliability, and all you need is to maybe fab a couple of mount brackets.

Sounds like a strange thing coming from me, but my pursuit of better performance from my Hawk engine is purely just because I love to tinker around. My whole goal was to get as much as I could with minimal investment. Porting the head myself only cost me maybe 40 bucks. The cam I ordered, 95 bucks. The carb I have, which I could have gone cheaper and probably had the same results, also 95 bucks (cheaper route is about 35 dollars).

At the end of the day, if I took this sub 15hp rated engine and got it to make even 22hp, I would be happy and impressed with the results. One thing I have always been cognizant of is the nature of this engine. It is a 2 valve pushrod engine made in China. It will have limitations, and it will never be as good as many other engines out there.
Very well put sir. I've considered swaps more and more lately, your right it would be much easier made power. But then I would just end up tinkering with that

Old 03-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abramelin View Post
Very well put sir. I've considered swaps more and more lately, your right it would be much easier made power. But then I would just end up tinkering with that
You and I have the same problem lol.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 09-02-2020, 01:22 AM   #23

How is the CH engine coming along. I’m very interested

Old 09-02-2020, 02:43 AM   #24

If I am not mistaken BoostedBois Kyle on youtube made a shifter shopping go kart from what apears to be a Zongshen CG200/250 which ended up getting turbocharged and then more interestingly had an after market EFI/ECU unit installed.

Could be worth perusing if you trying to squeeze everything out of a Chonda engine.

Tags
cg250, hawk250, performance