Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2023, 03:52 PM   #1

HAWK 250 spoke torque?

Hey guys im new here, this is my first post here.
i have been pretty active on the hawk 250 facebook group but sometimes they can give some misleading answers or just conflicting opinions.
long story short I bought the warp 9 spoke torque wrench.
what i did not do before ordering was confirm the torque spec on the spokes. when i asked the group on facebook (and from my own research online) i found VERY conflicting answers. i saw a video of some guy torquing his to 18inlbs and ive seen another do 24. most people online are saying 48inlbs but only because that what a honda rims is specd for. obviously the hawk does not have a honda OEM rim so im not willing to just "send it" and crank it to 48. is there anyone on here that torques their hawks spokes? any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance!

Old 07-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman32100 View Post
Hey guys im new here, this is my first post here.
i have been pretty active on the hawk 250 facebook group but sometimes they can give some misleading answers or just conflicting opinions.
long story short I bought the warp 9 spoke torque wrench.
what i did not do before ordering was confirm the torque spec on the spokes. when i asked the group on facebook (and from my own research online) i found VERY conflicting answers. i saw a video of some guy torquing his to 18inlbs and ive seen another do 24. most people online are saying 48inlbs but only because that what a honda rims is specd for. obviously the hawk does not have a honda OEM rim so im not willing to just "send it" and crank it to 48. is there anyone on here that torques their hawks spokes? any help would be appreciated
thanks in advance!
There is no "spec" for it. Anybody giving you any sort of figure is either using a spec from another bike or just making shit up. I have been doing spokes with a simple spoke wrench for my entire life.

I use the old school tap test, aka tension resonance. A properly tightened spoke will give of a middle C note, or close to it.

6 years with a Hawk and I have not broken a spoke or had a single wheel issue. No expensive tools and made up BS figures.

Now. If you want to figure out what that spoke spec should be, you could incrementally increase the torque setting, give the spokes the old tap test, and keep doing so until you hear that nice middle C note. That's the figure I would use.

As for the Facebook group. Most of them are wannabe experts that got most of their information from me or other members here. This is the source of all their "expertise." I am on the same group as you. It mostly makes me laugh
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-02-2023, 05:08 PM   #3

As for the Facebook group. Most of them are wannabe experts that got most of their information from me or other members here. This is the source of all their "expertise." I am on the same group as you. It mostly makes me laugh[/QUOTE]

I don't know about that Dan. The only thing I know is that a lot of people on the Facebook sights have bikes that will pull the front wheel straight up in 3rd gear, and cruise 80 mph all day long , simple by adding a Nibbi PE30 with a 140 main, and an aftermarket exhaust with the muffler mounted 6" lower than it should be. I figure their bikes are probably putting out a good 30hp on the wheel.

Old 07-02-2023, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
As for the Facebook group. Most of them are wannabe experts that got most of their information from me or other members here. This is the source of all their "expertise." I am on the same group as you. It mostly makes me laugh

I like your attitude. Refreshing to see people tell it like it is.

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-02-2023, 06:23 PM   #5

guess thats gonna be my best bet thanks

Old 07-02-2023, 07:30 PM   #6

Maybe a chromatic tuner? I had to dig the guitar out for these pics.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuner1Resized.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	29566   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tuner2Resized.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	29567  

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 07-02-2023, 08:00 PM   #7

hey im desperate here i will try anything lol thanks guys for the help!

Old 07-02-2023, 09:06 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I don't know about that Dan. The only thing I know is that a lot of people on the Facebook sights have bikes that will pull the front wheel straight up in 3rd gear, and cruise 80 mph all day long , simple by adding a Nibbi PE30 with a 140 main, and an aftermarket exhaust with the muffler mounted 6" lower than it should be. I figure their bikes are probably putting out a good 30hp on the wheel.

So true.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
I like your attitude. Refreshing to see people tell it like it is.
According to a couple of members here, it makes me "rude."

I didn't grow up around soft feelings and boo boo kissing. I grew up around a bunch of Military, Vets, and old farmers. All people who don't have time to mince their words and just tell it like it is. If it's the truth, then feelings come second. Guess it just rubbed off on me.

Old 07-02-2023, 09:30 PM   #10

Quote:

I didn't grow up around soft feelings and boo boo kissing. I grew up around a bunch of Military, Vets, and old farmers. All people who don't have time to mince their words and just tell it like it is. If it's the truth, then feelings come second. Guess it just rubbed off on me.
My next door neighbors, all 10 of them, had a father who fought in Korea. He was hard/fair/funny, it was a good combination. Any good traits I ended up with can be directly attributed to him.

First time he heard me whalin' because I crashed my BMX bike in the street, he came over and asked me if I was a man or a mouse? The question made me ponder and in my preponderance, I had stopped whalin'. He said, "That's it, think about it. You don't wanna be a mouse, do ya?" It was kinduva no-brainer, but he saw a "teachable moment" and that has stuck for about 50 years.

God bless his soul and, if you've read this far, here's a pic from my front porch. Never seen a baby horse up close and personal. He's about 3 days old.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Porch Resized.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	29577  

Old 07-03-2023, 08:44 AM   #11

Quote:

Funny how rude and honest are interchangable depending on which side of the argument you are on...

Tags
rims, spoke, torque, wheel, wrench