Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-09-2009, 03:38 AM   #1

Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 CDI Failure at 10,800 Miles

After riding it for 10,800 miles, my Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 experienced its first mechanical failure. To be more precise, it was a failure in the electrical system; the CDI unit failed.

The failure occurred after I had washed the bike, so the diagnosis was not simple. After washing my Zong, the bike started right up, and I went riding for approximately two miles. At that point the engine stopped, and I coasted to the side of the road. The motorcycle would not start, so I walked home (I exercise every day, so the short walk home in fair weather was not a hardship). I hooked my ATV trailer up to my car, and retrieved the Zong.

Since I had just washed the bike, I suspected that water had collected somewhere in the electrical system. I examined the wiring system bundle located behind the headlight fairing; all connections were secure. However, I did find a small amount of green corrosion on the contacts of the white connectors leading to the ignition. I also found a small amount of green corrosion on the contacts of the white connectors that lead to the engine cutoff switch. I cleaned the contacts with WD-40 and a Q-tip swab. The engine would still not start. :(

The Zong's electrical connections behind the headlamp fairing are well designed, and covered by a large rubber boot. However, based upon my experience, I would caution Zong owners to never spray water directly into the instrument cluster. :roll: The water can drip down the wires and enter the backside of the white connectors, causing a small amount of corrosion.

Next, I sprayed WD-40 into the ignition switch. I then waited a while for water to be displaced, or evaporated, from the ignition switch, or any other hidden areas of the electrical system. After waiting several hours, the bike would still not start. :(

Next, I removed the ignition switch from the instrument cluster. I disassembled the switch and found a small amount of green corrosion on the contacts. I cleaned the switch, reassembled it, and reattached it to the motorcycle. The engine would not start. :( In case I forgot to mention it, it is wise never to spray water directly into the instrument cluster. :roll:

Next, I checked for loose connections to the magneto and pickup coil; all connections were secure. Then I checked the connection on the primary lead of the ignition coil; it was secure and dry. I then checked the resistance across the primary and secondary leads of the ignition coil; I obtained the correct resistance values.

Finally, I checked the output of the CDI. The CDI was not sending any voltage to the primary lead of the ignition coil. I switched my digital multimeter to AC voltage, and I checked for voltage coming from the magneto and pickup coil as I cranked the engine. Both the magneto and the pickup coil were sending AC voltage to the CDI. Therefore, I suspected that the CDI unit had failed. I called Manny at Zongshen America, and ordered two CDI units; each unit cost $25.

The CDI unit for the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is not compatible with the Lifan CDI unit. The Lifan CDI units are designed for Honda clone engines; the Zong CDI unit is designed for a Yamaha clone engine. The engine in the Zongshen Sierra 200GY-2 is a copy of the Yamaha TW200 engine. However, after some research, I have discovered that the Zong electrical system is slightly different from the Yamaha TW200 electrical system. Therefore, I believe that these two CDI units are not compatible. In any event, the Yamaha TW200 CDI units cost $125 each, five times the cost of the Zong CDI unit!

I did not want to pay for UPS 3-day delivery. Therefore, I received my CDI units eight calendar days after I placed my order. After they arrived, I installed a new CDI unit, and the Zong started right up! I substituted the old CDI unit, and tried to start the bike several times; it would not start. I reinstalled the new CDI; the bike started once again, and it has been running well ever since.

I highly encourage every Zong owner to get one or two spare CDI units. If you have an electrical system failure, you can swap in the new CDI to aid your troubleshooting. Also, if your CDI unit does fail, you will have a spare unit available. Having a spare CDI unit handy will allow you to ride, instead of waiting for a new one to arrive from Miami.

To the best of my knowledge, the Zongshen CDI units are not compatible with any other CDI. Therefore, you need to order them from Zongshen America, or any authorized Zongshen dealer. I am now very glad to have a spare CDI unit handy; I encourage fellow Zong owners to follow the same practice.

Ride Safely!

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894