Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2011, 01:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipryHippy
Ill most likely give it a go. I read his post and the pipe seems it will be lighter and provide a noticable performance increase.

Will it install easily or will i have to do any welding or alter the pipe?
As usual, Weldangrind has given you superb advice. The FMF silencer comes in two sizes, so make sure one of them fits your exhaust header. This FMF silencer also comes with a stainless steel midpipe, which you can easily cut to the desired length. However, the midpipe is fairly straight, so you need a pretty direct line from the silencer's mounting point to the exhaust header. This silencer also includes mounting hardware.

If you have more questions, please post some photos, and we can try to judge if this FMF silencer will fit your quad.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #17

Some pics of the stock exhaust.

Will i be able to alter the shape of the new exhaust if i have to? Thanks

Old 11-01-2011, 07:59 PM   #18

Ugh, the dreaded factory air filter. You're miles ahead with a pod filter, such as a Uni. I bought two of these: 42mm Air Filter Cleaner 250cc ATV Quad Dirt Pit Bike The angle is perfect for my first generation Beast, and the filter quality is quite good. I coat it with Maxima Fab 1 spray oil.

To your question, it's kind of hard to tell, but it looks like the layout is the same as my Beast. The only difference I see is that my Beast has no joint in the middle. Can you show us a pic from a few feet back? I'd like to be able to see the entire muffler, and its relationship to the rear fender.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #19

BTW, the price is certainly right on that filter. $6.99 including shipping.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
...Can you show us a pic from a few feet back? I'd like to be able to see the entire muffler, and its relationship to the rear fender.
Thanks for posting the photos, Hippy. I also would like to see photos of the muffler, and its mounting points. Is the muffler mounted at an angle? I think you might be able to mount the FMF TC2 silencer, but I need to see the entire muffler, without any body shrouds blocking the view.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #21

I got a high performance air filter on the way, so dont worry

Ill post some pics tomorrow...

Old 11-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #22

Here ya go. I can post anotherone farther away if you want.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:30 PM   #23

That's identical to my stock Beast muffler. Don't expect to gain a lot by swapping it for something else, because it flows pretty good as is. If you install a Mikuni 30mm carb (assuming you don't already have one), jet it properly and install a better air filter, you'll feel an improvement.

I've dissected two Beast mufflers so far, and they're an intelligent design. They're a bit restrictive, but not so much that you'll feel a dramatic improvement; just more sound.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #24

Thanks for posting the photo, Hippy. Your photos reveal that installing the FMF TC2 would require a bit of extra work. Since your exhaust's midpipe curves through the frame, you would need to cut the midpipe off the stock muffler, just ahead of the canister, and use it to connect the FMF silencer to the exhaust header. Also, it appears your exhaust's midpipe enters the muffler at an angle, which also complicates matters. Is your exhaust system supported only at the muffler itself, and the exhaust header?

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-02-2011, 10:46 PM   #25

You're exactly right, Spud. If you remove the gussets from the muffler, you can clearly see the angle that the pipe is cut on to accomodate the muffler. This is a shot of the angle I had to observe when I welded a new flange onto my pipe:

Old 11-02-2011, 11:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind
That's identical to my stock Beast muffler. Don't expect to gain a lot by swapping it for something else, because it flows pretty good as is. If you install a Mikuni 30mm carb (assuming you don't already have one), jet it properly and install a better air filter, you'll feel an improvement.

I've dissected two Beast mufflers so far, and they're an intelligent design. They're a bit restrictive, but not so much that you'll feel a dramatic improvement; just more sound.
You posted your reply while I was composing my reply, Weld. I'm glad to hear Hippy's muffler flows well, and he doesn't need to replace it! By keeping the stock muffler he will save the money he would have spent on the FMF TC2, and he also won't need to worry about repacking the FMF silencer. The money saved on the FMF silencer can be better spent on a new carburetor and/or air filter!

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-03-2011, 12:30 AM   #27

Thanks for the help guys. Yes i already have the Mikuni Carb and an air filter is on the way. Do you know if the highperformance exhaust from gio would work ok. Even if it is the same performance it looks wayyyyy better and is veryyyy cheap on the auction. (Around 40 bucks)

http://www.giobikes.com/Performance-...mance-Exhaust/

Thanks

Old 11-03-2011, 01:54 AM   #28

I assure you that pipe would result in a degradation in performance. I took one apart, and it's much more restrictive than the stocker.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #29

I guess in this instance "high performance exhaust" is a misnomer. :roll:

Spud

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #30

SlipryHippy, the real performance answer is to buy a performance exhaust for both the Monster and Beast ATV. Use the head pipe from the Beast and the muffler from the Monster, and you'll have a decent muffler with a spark arrestor. Many of us went that way, but the Monster mufflers don't come up on the Gio site very often anymore.