Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2014, 03:49 PM   #1

sweet!! i just put tape over my beeper and its much quieter! at least until i get used to turning it off. about to go look at my chain roller, ill have to order that one from rocky mtn atv. and definitely getting those foot pegs too!!

Old 07-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #2

Thanks for posting more, great tips. As usual, your photographs are superb.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

Matt, I don't know how I missed your post on modifying the cat, but that's awesome. How did you remove the honeycomb from the tube? When I tried it that way, I had a brutal time removing the cat.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2014, 12:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Matt, I don't know how I missed your post on modifying the cat, but that's awesome. How did you remove the honeycomb from the tube? When I tried it that way, I had a brutal time removing the cat.
I put the cut pipe sections in the vice then I drilled it out. I started small to larger on the drills and once I hit 1/2" it just caught and ripped all the remaining crap out.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
I put the cut pipe sections in the vice then I drilled it out. I started small to larger on the drills and once I hit 1/2" it just caught and ripped all the remaining crap out.
You're luckier than me. I tried that, and the drill eventually stalled. In my case, the cat was in a scooter muffler, so I fixed it buy using a different muffler.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 AM   #6

It takes all of 15 min to take the smog crap off. The hose that connects to the engine goes to the pump then to the carb. Just remove all of the stuff and hoses. Make a plate to cover the hole in the side of the engine and buy a vacuum cap kit from the auto parts store.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1167&ppt=N1171

How it works. The hose that goes from the carb to the pump is there to use the engine vacuum to generate a pulse signal for the pump to work. The pump has a hose connected to it that has a small canister on one side to bring in fresh air. The pump then takes this fresh air and pumps it into the exhaust to meet the emmissions test minimum.

Old 07-31-2014, 11:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmprestine View Post
It takes all of 15 min to take the smog crap off. The hose that connects to the engine goes to the pump then to the carb. Just remove all of the stuff and hoses. Make a plate to cover the hole in the side of the engine and buy a vacuum cap kit from the auto parts store.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1167&ppt=N1171

How it works. The hose that goes from the carb to the pump is there to use the engine vacuum to generate a pulse signal for the pump to work. The pump has a hose connected to it that has a small canister on one side to bring in fresh air. The pump then takes this fresh air and pumps it into the exhaust to meet the emmissions test minimum.
I found that I had to jet accordingly. Since there was an increase in air flow, I had to add more fuel.

Old 08-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #8

Here is the TMEC manual

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6V...it?usp=sharing

Old 08-01-2014, 11:52 PM   #10

Has anybody tried to change the front sprocket on the TMEC. I have a few customers thinking about doing that mod but I'm not sure what it will do.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 PM   #11

Thanks for the carb and manual links mmprestine!

If I fail plugging the tube with weld or a bolt I'll do the aluminum plate option.

Thanks again!
Jim

2007 Shineray Speedee 150, 1P57QMJ: Needs: starter rewired, exhaust connected, cleaned up, ignition switch simplified, new seat and lights, new front and back racks.

There's no such thing as a free puppy or motorcycle. I think I have caught the fever from y'all.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankme View Post
Thanks for the carb and manual links mmprestine!

If I fail plugging the tube with weld or a bolt I'll do the aluminum plate option.

Thanks again!
Jim
I wanted to see all the bits and pieces of the smog stuff on my new TMEC (the '09 did not have ANY of it), and noticed that the hose that attaches to the first outlet tube was disintegrated thanks to Yuma's tremendous heat--my bike has been much louder and more aggressive sounding for a while now. I have not seen this tube because it is hidden behind the front body plastic--the plastic that attaches to the gas tank. IN other words, the air coming right out of the tube was pretty much going nowhere but out into the atmosphere.

It was disintegrated for a couple inches, and the rest of the hose is fine, so I simply cut the hose down and reattached it to the tube. Out of curiosity, I fired the bike up, and it sounded like it did when new--very quiet, almost like a scooter! It died a couple times too, at idle, although I only ran it for about 45 seconds and was not ridden (it was not warmed up). Here I thought I have been helping the atmosphere with smog equipment, and nothing was farther from the truth!

I will be looking for a plate and the removal of the smog equipment soon--I want the bike to run like my '09. I will see how it runs on Monday on my commute to work with the smog hose back on, to see how much of a difference it makes compared to it not properly attached.

Once I get the plate and it is properly sealed, and the carb capped, I envision it will be like 'old times' again!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-02-2014, 01:31 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedogracing View Post
Has anybody tried to change the front sprocket on the TMEC. I have a few customers thinking about doing that mod but I'm not sure what it will do.
Back when I had my '09 model on the road, and had over-rear-sprocketed (if that is the technical term, LOL) with a 40 tooth rear I had custom made, I did try a couple different front sprockets. I had a couple, maybe a 13 and then a 14? But again, that was with a waaay too high geared (I think the smaller the number of teeth on the rear, the higher geared it is called) rear sprocket, so I never really got to know any effect.

When I finally had the 56 tooth rear back on there with that bike, I had the stock 17 tooth front back on.

If your customers are looking for a higher top speed, don't touch the front sprocket since it is a 17 tooth. Other than custom ordering a rear, for about $45 including shipping, one can order one from a place in England. They were the only place that would ship to the US. http://www.urbanbike.co.uk/jtr113454...ket-6129-p.asp (I would not even bother with this sprocket since the stock one is 56 tooth)

I bought this one:
http://www.urbanbike.co.uk/jtr113448...ket-1655-p.asp
(you can even read my review on this one, LOL)

You could order these via JT Sprockets US subsidiary, but the transaction is more complicated and costs more(I think it was going to cost something like $52).

I have tried to convince Wade Liu to find a supplier in China that can make 46 tooth rears for these bikes, as even the 48 does not seem to allow the bike to go over 65 mph. If you mention it to him (don't tell him I said so) he might consider it more seriously coming from a dealer!

If your customers are looking for wheelies and such and DON'T want a higher top speed, then disregard the above and slap on a 13 or 14 tooth front. I think the ones I got were off Amazon for the XR200 (don't quote me on which model Honda, but it was common, and the sprockets were cheap and relatively straightforward to put on--someone could steer you as to what model Honda the front emulates (the rear does NOT emulate any Honda!).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-02-2014, 11:47 PM   #14

Culcune, if you remove the smog equipment, you might need to rejet. That is, unless you keep the catalytic converter in place. You could swap the carb and exhaust from the '09 to truly achieve the 'old times'.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:44 PM   #15

What effect was happening if the tube that sticks out of the side of the engine was simply going into the air (bypassing the smog pump) since the rubber tube was disintegrated? The bike sounded and drove like my '09, and was kind of loud (I had bought a copper grommet for the exhaust to quiet it weeks ago, not realizing the rubber tube was disintegrated and the smog tube was simply emitting into the air--the body plastic hid all of this).

Once I cut the tube and reattached it, the bike sounded like a scooter. It seems restricted a little bit, too, but I kind of enjoy the quiet?! I might not remove it after all...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Tags
163fml, 200cc, tmec, tmec-200, tmec-200-1