Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2019, 10:02 PM   #1

Hand guards

Anyone got hand guards like barkbusters fitted? I've never used them before but they look like a really good idea. I'd appreciate your thoughts, for and against.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:04 AM   #2

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...ng+hand+guards The search bar is your friend

Old 08-12-2019, 12:39 PM   #3

I haven't yet, though I've looked at quite a few. Fitment on this bike is a pain. I saw some guards on a GS that were really awesome, and what I'd really like. But they were some crazy price like $200. The ones from CSC themselves are unimpressive, and overpriced (not as much). My bike is mostly an in-town errands bike with a little light trail action though. How important they are to you depends on how you ride and where.

Old 08-12-2019, 12:53 PM   #4

Added benefit is that the guards keep the wind off your fingers at speed. Since I added the hand guards to my RX3, I do not need heated grips or super heavy gloves to ride.

Old 08-12-2019, 07:48 PM   #5

wind free sounds good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Math Teacher View Post
Added benefit is that the guards keep the wind off your fingers at speed. Since I added the hand guards to my RX3, I do not need heated grips or super heavy gloves to ride.
That's what I was hoping. I don't ride much in foul weather (by choice)but this being New Zealand do a fair bit of riding in the rain and water deflection would be nice. I had a look on ebay and barkbusters websites and the seem really pricey and then I went to ali express and will buy from there soon.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:10 PM   #6

Givi HP4103's, If You Can Afford Them

I have the CSC handguards and have to agree with calvarez, they don't do much in the wind and rain protection department. They do a decent job of shielding your hands from road debris and bugs in the summer, though. In the winter, I use Rain Seal hand grip covers (think Hippo Hands), with Koso Apollo heated grips (which CSC now sells, IIRC). I have the same heated grips on a Versys 650, combined with Givi HP4103 hand guards and no grip covers, and they outperform the ones on the RX3 with the grip covers. I'm considering fitting a pair of the Givi's to the RX3, but they are bike specific and will need a little adapting to fit up to the RX3. They are also expensive at $134, considering that they are just plastic with thin steel mounting brackets, but that's a Givi thing. You're paying for the name, and I haven't been able to find any Chinese knockoffs. But, they work very well at keeping the wind and rain off of your hands. They also accommodate handle bar end weights.

Here's a link to them:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-650-1000-z900

Old 08-14-2019, 01:09 AM   #7

This is my bike - these are pretty large wind gaurds

http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1548252883

Old 08-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NzBrakelathes View Post
This is my bike - these are pretty large wind gaurds

http://www.chinariders.net/attachmen...1&d=1548252883
I saw those on a few Chinese sites, maybe Aliexpress? They seem huge, for those who want that. Were they easy to mount? I'm looking for something much smaller with air flow, but others may be interested.

Old 08-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #9

I use some KTM handguards i found (used on everything from the 1290 adventure to the EXC250). I had to cut a bit out so the banjo bolt for the front brake fits, and i used a bit of strap wrapped around the handlebar to increase the diameter so the clamp fits.

They are very good handguards, they are relatively light (lighter than my knock off bark busters), give good wind projection and have kept my levers safe in a fair few low-medium speed off road spills. Besides a few scratches, they have not taken any damage. My fake bark busters took much less punishment before breaking.