Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #16

Things for you to research:

Cassiar and Stewart highways (37 and 37A) in BC are awesome and you'll see lots of bears and other wildlife

Salmon Glacier in Hyder, AK is beautiful
The Bus in Hyder has the best Halibut in the world
Telegraph Creek is a cool ride out with an awesome view of the gorge. 80 miles dirt each way but in great condition if dry
Dawson is a cool town
Ride out to Eagle, AK is a great dirt road. We ended up in large herds of Caribou.

40 mile town site in the Yukon is awesome but a more primitive dirt road and you have to walk a mile after riding in so not molested like easy to access sites are. Was a gold mining town. Worth the walk though!

Don't ride the Dempster unless its been dry for a few days and the forecast says it will stay that way! Make sure the ferries at Peel and McKenzie Rivers are running!
If you decide to go to Tuktoyaktuk, ask to leave your luggage at the hotel in Inuvik so it's an easier ride up and back.

Alcan is an OK highway but not great. Might see Bison though!

Watson Lake is a good stop to see the signpost forest
The Icefields Parkway in Alberta is worth riding through. Gorgous! Stay outside of Jasper or Banff or the hotels will be stupid expensive.
Revelstoke to Nakusp to New Denver to Kaslo to Balfour to Kootenay Bay to Creston is some of the best motorcycling roads I've ever been on. Tight, Twisty, Views, free small ferries to cross the lakes...awesome
The more north you get the less capable they are of forecasting the weather! Best bet is about 48 hours of semi-accuracy. If there is above a 10% chance of rain...it will rain.
After riding any of the dirt roads with Calcium Carbonate (Telegraph Creek, Dempster), get to a car wash and clean up the bikes. That stuff is like concrete AND it will eat your bike (oxidation and corrosion).
Before going on your trip, coat your entire bike (Except grips and seat) with ACF-50. Watch YouTube videos on how people do it. It will help keep your bike from coming back looking "vintage"!

Old 08-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #17

I can see map now.
I like the idea of camping a few and moteling a night . Theres only so much a guy can put up with if you have a hot dusty day , or a cold wet day. Most of the RV camping places will have showers.
I also don't plan a lot so a rough idea at night where to be is close enough. Your on vacation and need to be flexible.

"Personally, I don't usually plan out my daily distances and destinations much. I prefer to just ride and as the day progresses figure out where to stay the night. Sometimes its a roadside stop, sometimes a camp ground, sometimes a motel."

Just be aware of the Bear situation and stay where locals say is safe.

This works for me. Last year I rode with a guy in Alaska who had to have the nights destination figured out every morning and it drove me up the wall. Cause it doesn't take into account break downs, unexpected side trips, road construction which there will be a lot up there. And then it puts you under stress to get to a certain destination.
I understand having to do it if your on the guided rides like Joe B has done with having to all get up at a certain time and be at a certain place at night because of reservations.
We'll see how life progresses for us with work and in general. It would be cool to be able to do this.

Old 08-13-2018, 02:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmartin View Post
Things for you to research: . . .
Cheers for the info. It's been a bit over 20 years since my foray to Prudhoe Bay. I bet a lot has changed since then. I remember quite a bit of those places, but I do need to get up to date.

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 08-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Just be aware of the Bear situation and stay where locals say is safe.
Definitely.

Quote:
This works for me. Last year I rode with a guy in Alaska who had to have the nights destination figured out every morning and it drove me up the wall. Cause it doesn't take into account break downs, unexpected side trips, road construction which there will be a lot up there. And then it puts you under stress to get to a certain destination.
I agree. I don't want to stress about getting to somewhere just because that's where the motel room or campsite is located. The two week trip I took to the south east and east coast last Summer I did totally without any reservations or daily mileage requirements. It allowed me to stop wherever and whenever I wanted and I made a few side trips that I otherwise would not have done had I needed to be somewhere at the end of the day.

Cheers,

Dan K.

Dan's Motorcycle Blog - "Lost? I'm not lost. I'm just exploring. . ."

Old 08-13-2018, 02:48 PM   #20

If you don't already have one, Get a "the Milepost 2018" Alaska travel book for planning. Very informative. rj