Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Registration Issues
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2008, 07:32 PM   #1

New Jersey Registration Issues: Possible Grey Market Bike.

Hey, I just bought a Chongqing Loncin Trailmaster 200. It is almost identical to the Lifan Enduro 200's that many people on this site have. I bought it for 750 dollars from a guy on craigslist. The bike had 20 miles on it and looked brand new. He gave me a bill of sale and a mco from the company he purchased it from, but had never gotten a title for the bike. I went to the dmv today to get a title for the bike, and they told me the bike was not on their list and thus I could not get it titled. I saw their list, and American Lifan along with Chongqing Loncin are on there, but apparantly my serial number did not match up properly. The woman claimed it was a dirt bike and not street legal, which is simply not true. I am going the New Jersey DMV headquarters tomorrow in Trenton to try my luck again. I think if they deny me again I may claim the bike is a custom/salvage bike and have it specially inspected. Does anyone have any ideas for what I can do to help get this title? Thanks.

Old 05-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #2

Are they going to inspect it, That should help clear it up once they see it.
And please post a pic..I have gotta see this bike

Old 05-21-2008, 08:35 PM   #3

Search for New Jersey. Others have gotton there bikes titled there.

Allen

Old 05-21-2008, 10:24 PM   #4

ask to speak to the manager or person in charge......here in CANADA I easily registered it but I went in with a title all my import docs and a safety inspection certificate, the clerk still took it all over to the boss and said we always have trouble with these bikes..they said just write out a declaration that I assure the bike meets all highway road requirements and has not been modified etc...
that was it, maybe ask if you can sign a form to declare the bike legal ...dunno man just some suggestions...if worse comes to worse you could just start crying and tell them you spent the rent money on a bike you cant drive......

thats what I would do!!

Old 05-22-2008, 02:36 AM   #5

Not sure what part of Jersey you are from, but the Oakland dmv didnt give me any problems for my Hi-Bird. If you are not too far, I'd stop by there because they seemed to understand these are legit.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:20 PM   #6

I am pretty sure that I am in a lot of trouble. The issue is not that it is an import. You can get the list of approved manufacturers and the accepted vin codes from those manufacturers. The problem is that my manufacturer/vin is not on that list. American Lifan, Hi-bird, and all of the others are on there, but mine is not. Chongqing Loncin is the manufacturers name and apparently the only way I can get it titled is to get that name/vin on their list. So basically I am completely fucked. I can find almost nothing about this manufacturer on the internet and I can find nothing about the dealer that I bought it from. The dealer is Pacific Direct Sports LLC. If anyone knows anything about this, please help me out. If not, would anyone be able to send me scans of the MCO from one of their Lifans so I can see what my MCO needs to have to get titled. I might end up simply doctoring an MCO to get it titled. Has anyone tried this? I am pretty sure if you put the correct first 3 letters from the VIN the rest will not matter. Anyone with any ideas please help me out. thanks

Old 05-22-2008, 11:53 PM   #7

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
I'd be real careful with with the altering an MSO idea. Sounds a bit like fraud against a state agency(DMV). Might run into legal issues. In Ca, some have gotten around shakey registration issues uning a 'special construction' application. This is used when building a kit care or the like.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #8

Call it a custom build and have it inspected for highway use.
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 05-23-2008, 02:48 AM   #9

how exactly could i go about that? anyone have any experience?

Old 05-23-2008, 10:55 AM   #10

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Head down to the DMV and ask them.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 05-23-2008, 01:53 PM   #11

Send a message via Yahoo to maf119l
Don't doctor the mco.Putting the "right" first 3 letters will not work.there is a formula based on the combination of values for all the numbers and letters and either the 8th or 9th number is determined by this formula.Change even a single digit and you blow the whole thing.Then possible fines and time.china bike not worth that.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:26 PM   #12

I may try to register it in new york state as I have joint residency. Does anyone have any experience with a gray bike in New York State?

Old 05-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #13

Give it try. NY was one of the tougher states too, but you never know.

Allen

Old 05-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #14

If my New York State registration does not work out, is there anyone in any of the more lenient states who would be willing to "buy" this bike from me, title it in their state and then "sell" it back. I will pay $100 to anyone who can get me a title this way along with the costs of purchasing the title it's self.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #15

Just to echo Mr. Maf119l, It's the ninth digit. The eighth digit is the engine size/type denominator.

--Vince