Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2013, 04:55 AM   #1

Opinion about Zongshen 250 ccm (orin,bull) offroad

Guys can someone give me some info about these bikes (zongshen is only chinese brand available in Croatia with offroad type of bikes). I'd use 'em 99% for the offroad rides. i'm pretty much lightweight myself (65kg) so i think 250ccm with 20KW should be enough for a enjoyable ride with a occasional wheelie or two, or i may be wrong... your experiences with those bikes? power? reliability? maintenance? durability?
Please don't advise me jap or ktm, husa, etc... bikes coz they cost a bit to much for my taste in this moment, and zong is about 20% of their price.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:08 AM   #2

send some links with photos and specs.

i have two zongshen motors now (the yamaha copy and a honda clone) and i like them. zs is good quality china :-) genuine china. but of course, the 250 is probably only a 223cc.

the main thing is to check the valve clearance before you start, change the oil soon - but there s the stickies for that. on my 230 the valves were supertight and no timing mark on the flywheel...no big deal, but one may have to do a little work.

as for the frame and other aspects, quality varies greatly. i have not heard of orin or bull - and in australia, "bull" would not be good marketing strategy :-)

Old 11-27-2013, 07:21 AM   #3

why...isn't a bull just an domestic animal (male cow)...what so offensive about it
ZS Orion

ZS Bull

both are 249ccm 4T (i think that means 4 stroke) as i could see and both can be found from 15 to 20KW output power engine

Old 11-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #4

bull is short for cowdung if you get my meaning :-)

the bikes look similar and generic for cheapos. i don t have one of those, so all i can say is i think the zongshen motor and the frames would be okay and the rest may need a bit of help - try to test ride them before you buy one. the dirt bike thread on this forum will have lots of info about similar bikes and what can go/be wrong and what can be improved.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:39 AM   #5

The Orion you showed us was available in Canada as a Gio, and it had a pushrod CG223 engine. The later version has an OHC engine (that is also likely 223), and is available with small wheels (19 inch and 1 inch) or large wheels (21 inch and 18 inch). The OHC motor is good for another 1 or 2 horsepower. It comes with a free-flowing exhaust and a 30mm Mikuni carb, but the air filter is very poor.

The Bull is definitely an OHC engine, and is also likely to be 223cc. Both bikes are likely to have excellent inverted forks, and they both have wide footpegs and decent braking. You'll have the usual trouble with poor quality bolts, chain and bushings.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 AM   #6

Zongshen builds good engines.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 11-28-2013, 05:14 AM   #7

Check this youtube video on buying second hand bikes in case you are not familiar.

Old 11-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #8

I like that guy. He does some fair, honest, and funny motorcycle reporting. His review was one of the reasons I wanted a Ducati ST4S-ABS so much.

Old 03-12-2014, 08:55 PM   #9

apollo oroin

I had bought a 40 ft container about 4 yrs ago.. 125 & 150 & 250 bikes..... ZHONGSHEN is the best motor in CHINA..... GOOGLE and see.... they win a lot of races in their class against JAPenese motors.. Harley Davidson is using their motor for the newer Harleys.... check it out on google to see... no bull.... the bikes that GIO is selling are the orions... as there was other sellers... not all GIOS are the ORION... I forget who else is selling them in CANADA as well...... GIO is also in CALIFORNIA... I just came back from there.. giobikesusa.com so the people in USA can get parts from them as well... so do not be afraid of the orion.. BUY ONE..... better that the GIO 250 as the rear gear bolts come loose or break off whether you lock tight them or not..