Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2023, 09:49 PM   #1

TBR7 Dies riding in rain

Hi,

Today coming home from work I got caught in a downpour. A few minutes later it cut out. Attempted to restart and got a popping sound. It cranked but would not start. It has been out in the rain before but it was parked. This is the first serious rain I have encounter while riding it. I am at 2000 miles~ (GPS) on this 2021 model.

I pushed it to a gas station and parked it the rain stopped and 15 minutes later it started. I rode home with no rain.

Has anyone figured this out? I read the other post on this topic but no one found the problem. Like mine there's just started back up.

My TBR7 is all stock except for the spark plug and rear sprocket. I get 72-74 MPG (gps).

I run 10-40 Amsoil with a 15 front and 40 rear gearing

Old 07-25-2023, 09:58 PM   #2

Carbed or is this a DLX, EFI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adb1779 View Post
Hi,

Today coming home from work I got caught in a downpour. A few minutes later it cut out. Attempted to restart and got a popping sound. It cranked but would not start. It has been out in the rain before but it was parked. This is the first serious rain I have encounter while riding it. I am at 2000 miles~ (GPS) on this 2021 model.

I pushed it to a gas station and parked it the rain stopped and 15 minutes later it started. I rode home with no rain.

Has anyone figured this out? I read the other post on this topic but no one found the problem. Like mine there's just started back up.

My TBR7 is all stock except for the spark plug and rear sprocket. I get 72-74 MPG (gps).

I run 10-40 Amsoil with a 15 front and 40 rear gearing

Old 07-25-2023, 10:43 PM   #3

TBR7 dies in storm

Hi,

It has the stock carb. I have not had any starting problems with it. The only issue is it leans out causing the engine to spitter and miss at times under hard acceleration. I like the MPG so I have not swapped it for something richer.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:14 PM   #4

I think I solved the problem - very simple

Hi,

I recently adjusted the valves so while I was at it I decided to find the reason my engine was cutting out in the rain. When I put the plug wire on after the valve adjustment I pushed extra hard and got it to seat another click. After that I started the engine and used a spray bottle at each suspect area. Nothing happened it kept on running. So I got my garden hose and went at it trying to soak the coil, plug and every other connection, still nothing. Finally I took it out in the rain for a good ride and still nothing happened.

My conclusion is the spark plug boot was not fully seated against the head.

Old 01-05-2024, 10:34 PM   #5

Carry WD40 , and spray up under the tank, around the coil, and any electrical connectors you can hit. I assume you are still using the airbox?

Old 01-05-2024, 11:46 PM   #6

Ran into similar events, down poor, lights started changing on my dash, and bike ran like crud.

I checked the bike and after ensuring what exposed wires were connected, it ran better, but the dash lights were whacky like the 'neutral' was lite while riding.

I suspect, it was a loose spark plug boot. Check your connections.

Testing a YouTube Channel

Old 01-06-2024, 05:06 PM   #7

Yes the TBR7 is stock so it has the airbox. I will try to coat the connections with dialectic grease but for now giving the spark plug boot an extra push has ended my engine dying in the rain problems.

Tags
tbr7 rain stall water