Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #1

Heated Grips

Just fitted some OXFORD HotGrips (Of691 Touring).

Bieng the summer you can sometimes get a good discount.

Ive used a different model of the Oxford hot grips before and thought them to be quite good as I don't really like wearing mega thick gloves in winter.

Name:  Oxford Hot Grips.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  95.3 KB

Fitting
--------
The throttle side grip fits quite easily with just a little trimming required of the throttle tube.

The clutch side grip is a very tight fit. I only just managed to do this it actually gave me blisters twisting it on.
(I didn't bother using the glue for this grip , there was no way it was going to come off)

The bare end of the handle bar has a Knurled section, this worked like a cheese grater, grinding off a small amount of plastic from the inner of the grip as I twisted it on.

I'm sure a sensible person would file the inner of the grip for an easier fit.

I connected up via a relay because i didn't read the instructions, apparently a relay isn't required.

I'm sure a sensible person would read the instructions prior to fitting.

taken from instructions
Quote:
Switch features
• Now has 5 heat settings:- 30%, 40%, 50%, 75% and 100%
• Battery saving mode (BSM)
– This amazing new feature recognizes if either the battery voltage falls too low, or it’s high enough but suspiciously
quiet (ie. the engine has stopped)
– When in this state, the BSM LED flashes, the power LED still lights as normal, and the button still works - but the
grips don’t actually get powered.
– As soon as the battery voltage recovers and/or there’s a bit of noise on the power supply, the ‘battery saving’ LED
goes out and the grips work as normal
– The controller goes into BSM after 5 seconds of the voltage being less than 11.5V, or after 2 minutes of not
detecting any noise on the 12V power lead. Once in this mode, it will wait a further 5 minutes or thereabouts before
switching off completely.
– If the rider does not want or like this feature, the BSM can be disabled by switching the controller on and then
pressing and holding both buttons together for 5 seconds.
– During this time, the BSM LED will indicate whether the BSM feature is currently enabled (LED on) or disabled
(LED off).
– After 5 seconds the state of the LED will change, and the user can let go of the buttons.
– The controller remembers this state permanently, or until the user switches it back by repeating the above procedure.
Oxford fitting instructions & info download https://mega.co.nz/#!18YSCBiC!KZXbQM...8RW4IleZO3Bu2o

Old 07-18-2015, 03:19 PM   #2

Thanks for the write-up. I like that heater control.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 07-18-2015, 03:25 PM   #3

Yeah, the control seems quite good and easy enough to operate with gloves on. Also the fixing bracket comes with the grips

Old 07-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #4

Those are very nice heated grips. I also like the heater control. Thanks for posting the nice thread.

If I may ask, how much do the Oxford heated grips cost?

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2015, 06:07 PM   #5

I paid £52.50 which I think is about U.S. $82.00.

Here in the UK that's about 20 quid cheaper than the regular price.

I don't know how well the price compares to other makes of heated grips.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:06 PM   #6

I think that's a fair price for high quality, heated grips such as those. I must admit, I have installed 2 pairs of these cheap, $20 heated grips.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...d%20grip%20kit

I have a third pair which I plan to install on my RX3.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 07-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #7

I've had Oxford heated grips on my KLR for a few years now, I love them! I have the older style controller though, it still has the percent's but doesn't shut the grips off when you shut the bike off like the newer ones do (I think that's why they don't recommend a relay).

My controller crapped out this spring. The grips wouldn't totally shut off and would potentially kill the battery. I was going to install a relay to solve the problem but when I contacted Oxford they offered to send me out a new harness with controller... Even though I was long past the warranty period! Now that's what I call awesome customer service!

Old 07-19-2015, 09:30 AM   #8

MICRider,

Brilliant customer service, you can't argue with that

Here's a promotional and a installation vid, I think they are called Heaters or heaterz in the US
I got the touring ones because they can be trimmed to 110mm in length

Old 07-19-2015, 09:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
I think that's a fair price for high quality, heated grips such as those. I must admit, I have installed 2 pairs of these cheap, $20 heated grips.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...d%20grip%20kit

I have a third pair which I plan to install on my RX3.
Absolute bargain spud,

I probably would of tried some if I had known

Old 07-19-2015, 10:39 AM   #10

Thanks for posting the great videos, Kat. Those heated grips have very nice features, and are very easy to install.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 02:26 PM   #11

At first I wasn't sure I would like heated grips, so I choose the inexpensive Tusk grips for my first installation. Also, I wanted to be able to choose, and switch the rubber grips on the handlebars whenever I liked. The inexpensive heated grips work well, but I really like the heat controller, and the quality of construction of your Oxford heated grips.

I might return my Tusk Heated Grip Kit, and try the Oxford grips on my RX3. I also discovered the Bikemaster Heated Grips with Controller selling on eBay for $47.99, delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWIST-THROTT...-/160897933692

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 07-19-2015, 11:19 PM   #12

Thanks for the link Spud, that's the nicest pair of grips I've seen in a long time, and hot too

2016 CanAm Spyder F3-L

Old 07-20-2015, 12:35 AM   #13

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Old 10-08-2015, 07:13 PM   #14

Another Oxford Heated Grip Review

I just installed Oxford Touring heated grips on my RX3. My experience was similar to Katflap's.

Mounting the controller on the clutch level perch was super easy. Used included mounting plate, spacers and bolts. No mods or other parts needed. Looks great.

No problems with the wiring. Ran connectors under the front of the tank, and used the battery connector harness to run back to the A2 plug under the front seat left side. I soldered the wires in once I determined which was hot (brown I think) and which was ground (green).

Installing the grips themselves was challenging. The grips have a hard inner plastic liner, and its impossible (at first) to get the left grip over the knurling on left handlebar end. I used a rat tail file and a dremel with sanding drum to remove some of the inner plastic on the grip. And also used a rubber mallet to get the grip finally in place. I do not recommend this method but I was getting frustrated. Fortunately I did not damage the heater element. Throttle side was easier but I had to use an exacto knife and sandpaper to smooth the nubbins off of the throttle tube until I could finally work the grip into place.

I do not use brush guards, and had planned to use a pair of universal fit bar end weights (the kind with the inner rubber expansion plug for standard 7/8 inch bars) to close up the ends and finish the job. But I discovered you can't use bar end weights on the stock RX3 handlebar. The bar inner diameter is too small. Also the throttle tube end is closed. I ended up carefully cutting the ends of the original hand grips off, and glued them to the end of the Oxford grips to close up the ends. Looks OK.

I would be interested in how the Bikemaster grips actually install. I like the looks of the Oxford grips and the controller, but I am not sure they are worth the extra $35.

Last edited by NoVa Rider; 10-09-2015 at 05:41 AM.

Old 10-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #15

Thanks for posting the review of your installation, NoVa.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220