Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-09-2015, 10:21 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVa Rider View Post
I just installed Oxford Touring heated grips on my RX3. My experience was similar to Katflap's.

Installing the grips themselves was challenging. The grips have a hard inner plastic liner, and its impossible (at first) to get the left grip over the knurling on left handlebar end. I used a rat tail file and a dremel with sanding drum to remove some of the inner plastic on the grip. And also used a rubber mallet to get the grip finally in place. I do not recommend this method but I was getting frustrated.

I do not use brush guards, and had planned to use a pair of universal fit bar end weights (the kind with the inner rubber expansion plug for standard 7/8 inch bars) to close up the ends and finish the job. But I discovered you can't use bar end weights on the stock RX3 handlebar. The bar inner diameter is too small. Also the throttle tube end is closed. I ended up carefully cutting the ends of the original hand grips off, and glued them to the end of the Oxford grips to close up the ends. Looks OK.

I would be interested in how the Bikemaster grips actually install. I like the looks of the Oxford grips and the controller, but I am not sure they are worth the extra $35.
Yep, that left hand grip is a real pig

I would also be interested to know if other makes are as tight.

I was thinking perhaps sanding down the knurles a bit on the bar might be an option if i ever have to install a grip again

These are the end bar weights that I used that fit
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RYDE-22MM-...-/331150544290

I used a couple of large washers (the same dia. of the handle bar) on the throttle side to space it out a little so it could never be pushed in enough to jam the twist action of the throttle.

I'm sure the Bikemaster grips are good but the oxford grips do have a few advantages.

Automatically turns off if battery voltage is getting too low. always leaving enough power to start the bike.

Automatically turns off after a period of time if you forget to turn them off after riding your bike.

So no need to fit a relay

Also they have a good track record of reliability and parts can be bought individually.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:56 PM   #17

Kat, thanks for tip on the bar end weights. I may try ordering them.

One other nice feature on the Oxfords is the "up" and "down" buttons on the controller. You don't have to cycle through all the settings just to adjust the heat level. Much more convenient to adjust on the fly.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #18

After much deliberation, I decided to order the Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring grips. Thanks for posting the great review, with your usual, excellent photos, Kat.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #19

I have had the oxford grips on my Ural for 4 years used daily thru the winter months with zero problems and I can say along with the Hippo Hands they have kept me warm even when riding in at -21F (-29C). The control unit has been exposed to rain, sleet, hail, snow, salt and calcium water slush, and even some sun. The grips are still working perfectly.
I really think they are great for the price I paid $59.00.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:14 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
After much deliberation, I decided to order the Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring grips. Thanks for posting the great review, with your usual, excellent photos, Kat.
Good choice spud, I'm sure you will be happy with them

I think I read somewhere that the oxford grips draws its power in a pulse pattern, apparently this is kinder to the battery.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaine View Post
I have had the oxford grips on my Ural for 4 years used daily thru the winter months with zero problems and I can say along with the Hippo Hands they have kept me warm even when riding in at -21F (-29C). The control unit has been exposed to rain, sleet, hail, snow, salt and calcium water slush, and even some sun. The grips are still working perfectly.
I really think they are great for the price I paid $59.00.
A good testament to their quality.

Riding in - 29C, brrrr or what !

keith, you have my respect

Old 10-27-2015, 12:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
A good testament to their quality.

Riding in - 29C, brrrr or what !

keith, you have my respect
Thanks Katflap

I was using the Ural as my primary transportation year round here in Maine.
This winter the Ural is being stripped down, the salty roads have taken it's toll on the paint and metal parts.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #23

I put a pair of under grip heaters on my old GL500, the Chinese ones on eBay that sell for $3.60 per set. Not real hot but they do work. The only control is a toggle switch that turns them on and off. No way will you find me riding at below zero F temps!

Old 10-27-2015, 10:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithmaine View Post
Thanks Katflap

I was using the Ural as my primary transportation year round here in Maine.
This winter the Ural is being stripped down, the salty roads have taken it's toll on the paint and metal parts.
I do hope you'll share the project with us as a new thread. Do you plan to paint or powder coat?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2015, 12:13 AM   #25

X2.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 10-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
I do hope you'll share the project with us as a new thread. Do you plan to paint or powder coat?
Okay, if you guys are interested in the project I will start a new thread and start posting.

The Ural is powder coated now but it will be stripped and painted as the powder coat does not hold up to the winters here and paint is far easier to touch up. The Gobi camo color will become just Olive Drab.

I will post the Ural Project in "other brands"

Thanks for your interest, I find ChinaRiders seem to have more in common with Soviet Steeds than other cycle forums have with each other.

Old 10-28-2015, 11:04 AM   #27

Keith, just before you joined, I shared about how Mrs. Weldangrind and I were camping in the fantastic Rasar State Park in WA, and there was a coincident Ural meet there. I had the opportunity to chat with several riders, and compare the Ural history to that of the CJ750 (which I was most familiar with). I'd love to get my hands on a Ural or a CJ, and I'd really enjoy a build thread from you.

/hijack

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 10-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #28

Enough hijacking
Ural link below:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthrea...871#post195871

Now back to heated grips

Old 11-01-2015, 07:20 PM   #29

Yesterday I installed the Oxford Heaterz Premium Touring grips. Thanks to Katflap and Nova Rider for the installation tips; I was prepared for what to expect during the installation.

I removed the stock left grip with an air compressor. I needed to cut the right grip from the throttle with my razor utility knife. With both of the stock grips removed, I trimmed the Oxford grips with a hacksaw to the shortest length of 110 mm.

After a preliminary test fit of the new grips, I shaved the small nubs from the throttle tube with my razor utility knife. I trimmed away the checkerboard pattern on the left handlebar with my angle grinder, as shown below.

After sliding the Oxford grips into place, I still could not attach my Tusk D-Flex hand guards on either side of the handlebars. The switches on both sides of the handlebars have locator pins. Instead of removing the locator pins, I removed both switches, and drilled new location holes slightly inward on the handlebars.

I applied the included superglue to the left handlebar before I installed the Oxford grip. The right Oxford grip was tight enough not to require glue. I did need to tap the right Oxford grip lightly with a rubber mallet to seat it the final inch on the throttle tube.

I mounted the Oxford V8 controller on the clutch perch. I used the small collars to space the mounting plate away from the clutch perch, so the plate would not be bent. I discovered the mounting bolts were too short, so I bought some longer mounting bolts from the local, ranch supply store. I believe the bolts were 6 mm with a standard, 1.0 mm thread pitch, and 35 mm long.

I attached the power cable to the battery terminals, and routed the wire along the main wiring harness to the front of the engine compartment. I exited the wire from the left side of the bike, and located all the plugs outside the frame on the left side of the bike, just above the radiator.

The Oxford grip heaters work great. I really like the V8 smart controller, and the easy installation, which does not require an electrical relay.

2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Last edited by SpudRider; 11-01-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:50 PM   #30

Sweet installation, Spud! Thanks for sharing. We appreciate your in-depth tutorials.