Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-10-2016, 07:33 AM   #1

Hawk Luggage Options

I'm exploring options to mount luggage on my Hawk. I have a top case and soft panniers on my DR650, and I would like to get a similar setup. Has anyone put together some luggage options for their Hawk? Would anyone be interested in doing a deep dive into some options? I'm thinking something along the lines of a hard top case, and a set of side racks that can support either soft bags, or roto-pax cans. I'll get some pictures of the DR setup and post them if anyone is interested in working with me to create/build a setup for the Hawk world. Thanks!

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-10-2016, 09:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
I'm exploring options to mount luggage on my Hawk. I have a top case and soft panniers on my DR650, and I would like to get a similar setup. Has anyone put together some luggage options for their Hawk? Would anyone be interested in doing a deep dive into some options? I'm thinking something along the lines of a hard top case, and a set of side racks that can support either soft bags, or roto-pax cans. I'll get some pictures of the DR setup and post them if anyone is interested in working with me to create/build a setup for the Hawk world. Thanks!
FWIW, I really think the soft bag solution such as Giant Loop, Wolfman, Mosko etc is the way to go on 250's. Keeping it as light as possible pays big dividends in regards to performance and economy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hawkster.jpg (98.9 KB, 4014 views)

2015 Haosen Hawk 250
2014 CRF250L
2014 CB500X Rally Raid

Last edited by Weldangrind; 12-12-2016 at 11:19 AM.

Old 12-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #3

I really like the durability and weather-resistance of hard bags, but they can be tough on your leg if you go down with the bike. For that reason, I'm inclined to go with soft bags.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 12-12-2016, 09:07 PM   #4

Wolf, your setup is an inspiration, however it's way over the top for my use of the Hawk. If I were ever able to make a trip like yours, I would take the mighty DR with the hard top case (It's actually a Rigid toolbox that's been pressed into service), and the soft-sided panniers. The soft bags were actually a perfect fit for two walmart trash cans cut down about two inches from the top. They make a perfect semi-rigid liner that helps the bags keep their shape when empty, and a perfect makeshift cooler when I get to camp. Then when the beer is gone and the ice is melted, pull the can/liner out and dump the water, and they're ready to repack.
Weld, I agree that the hard cases have a little more security, however the newer soft cases are just as good at keeping the contents dry. I also like the fact that if I punch a hole in my soft case, a piece of heavy duty duct tape seals them up with no fuss. I honestly don't think the Hawk can take much weight on the frame for hard cases. I haven't spent a ton of time looking at the structure on the Hawk, so I'm not sure what the mountings would look like for hanging racks and such. I'm thinking of making a bracket that goes in the four holes on the tailpiece (covered by the diamond-shaped rubber inserts), and using that as the anchor point. I haven't had time to dig into it too much, and I have to pack for another trip out of town.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-12-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

http://californiascooterco.com/blog/?p=23221

Old 12-12-2016, 09:29 PM   #6

CSCDude, That's a great pic! What is the top duffel on the tail there? How is it mounted to the bike?

The Stable:
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 12-12-2016, 09:31 PM   #7

Her is my cheap and easy method:

http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=17096

Old 12-13-2016, 12:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerikol View Post
CSCDude, That's a great pic! What is the top duffel on the tail there? How is it mounted to the bike?
That tail bag is an old Nelson Rigg I bought about 15 years ago. I don't think it is still offered. It has built-in bungee cords for attaching it to the bike. If I were buying a bag today, I would get the Wolfman tailpack I show in the link above. The photo is on the Rumarosa Grade in Mexico on our CSC ride to San Felipe a couple of months ago.