Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions

Old 06-18-2016, 02:06 PM   #1

Hehe The Ariel Red Hunter

Although I had various semi-junk motorcycles before I was fifteen, I lucked onto a Ariel Red Hunter 350 that had been well cared for before I got it. I was working part time in a motorcycle shop at the time. An older guy tried to trade it in on a new BSA, but the shop owner didn't want the Ariel because it was a 350cc. Hard to sell, he said. I said too bad, I wanted it, but I guessed I was out of luck. He said If I can get it for the right money, will you want to buy it and work it off? Oh yeah, I said. So began my love affair with Ariels, and singles all in one shot. It came with an Amal TT9 carburetor. The first thing I did to that bike was change the exhaust to a megaphone, so I had to learn how to re-jet the carburetor and change the throttle valve in order to get less cut-a-way. Less cut-a-way means more acceleration with the more open exhaust. When I finally got the jetting right, it would pull like a freight train from 1000 rpm right to redline which was 6000. It topped out at a little less that 85 mph. For those of you who don't know, the Mikuni round slide carburetors are pretty much the same as an Amal Concentric. I got involved in flat track racing a year later as a tuner because I was a hot hand at tuning Amal carbs. I was considered a minor league genius at making our BSA Goldstar flat tracker an easy starter. And that Goldstar was one of the fastest around - it was tuned to the eyeballs. Why did it start easy? I hooked back up the compression release and the manual spark advance.

Old 06-18-2016, 02:11 PM   #2

Welcome! Looking forward to your carb contributions. Do you have a pic of your Ariel?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 06-18-2016, 02:47 PM   #3

From Wikipedia

The Ariel Red Hunter was the name used for a range of Ariel single-cylinder motorcycles. They were designed by the firm's chief designer Val Page in 1932 around an overhead-valve single-cylinder engine he developed six years earlier. Originally a 'sports' version of the Ariel 500, 250 and 350cc versions were developed and became popular with grass track and trials riders.
All Red Hunters had a distinctive dark red petrol and oil tanks which were painted in the former Bournbrook cinema opposite the main Ariel factory in Dawlish road. The engines were all run for two hours on a test bench to maintain Ariel's record of reliability and quality control.
The Red Hunter was a success and formed the backbone of the company, and made Ariel able to purchase Triumph.[4] On the 500cc, acceleration from 0-60mph could be made in 10.9 seconds, while stopping from 25mph could be made under 24 feet.
Edward Turner developed the design further with added chrome and it became a popular touring road bike. Handling was improved by the addition of rear suspension and telescopic forks and it gained an alloy cylinder head from the 1950s.
Champion Sammy Miller had great success with a 500cc Red Hunter from 1955.

Arial...you have the honor of posting the first picture please
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-01-2016, 02:17 PM   #4

I regret to inform you all that I never photographed my Ariel. What a superb motor-cycle it was - lively performer, and easy starting. Ariel front forks were superb, and the Antsey-Link rear suspension was a treat. The Burman transmission and clutch were the best in the world at that time. The clutch was still the best of that on any other motorcycle I have ever ridden. I think that year model of Red Hunter was the last year before they changed to swing arm rear suspension. It came with a Lycette saddle, which I much preferred to a dual seat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Welcome! Looking forward to your carb contributions. Do you have a pic of your Ariel?

Old 07-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #5

http://www.arielnorthamerica.org/arielsforsale.htm

Enjoy
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 07-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #6

Thumbs Up

You guys got me classed out here, I remember something called an Ariel square 4, but thats about it. I bow to superior knowledge
Seer's First LAW-"FLY THE PLANE!", fail that, and nothing else matters. 12th Law- Consider what marvels you might do if only you had tomorrow to live over again. Third Law-When someone tells you some thing "Can't Be Done", what they're really saying is They can't do it!!14th Law-Just because something "IS", doesn't necessarily mean it SHOULD be.. Eighth Law-The only true personal security is anonymity.Ninth Law-Humans tend to learn very little when speaking.10th Law-Some lives ARE worth taking

Old 07-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeerAtlas View Post
You guys got me classed out here, I remember something called an Ariel square 4, but thats about it. I bow to superior knowledge
Not me seer... I'm a nubby, I just know what I like and I like what I see!