Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street

Old 06-21-2016, 08:01 PM   #1

2006 Zongshen 250GS won't start, I'm clueless as to why

Hey everybody,

I recently picked up a 2006 Zongshen 250GS from an associate of mine with only 3,300 miles on it. I drove it for 700 miles without any major issue.

After a severe thunderstorm about a month ago, the bike will not start. The storm may have been a coincidence, I really don't know. It turns over but the engine never kicks on for more a second before it sputters and dies. The same thing happens when trying to start it with the ignition button, and also when attempting to push start it to life.

I have replaced the CDI, the battery, the plugs, and checked the compression, which was fine. Still not having any luck. This is my first sportbike, previously my bike experience was strictly dirt bikes and motocross.

Any help, suggestions, or theories are greatly appreciated. This bike is very hard to find parts for, especially stateside.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #2

Not knowing more, I would start to try to eliminate the easy stuff first. Going with the basic "air, fuel, spark" approach (all things an egnine needs to run... well, besides oil), I'd check:

1. Check the fuel - maybe put in fresh fuel?
2. How does the spark plug look? oil fouled or clean?
3. Battery strong?
4. Have you checked spark across the spark plug gap when trying to start the bike? (to ensure you have good spark? Best to hold the spark plug & boot with a pair of pliers to avoid getting shocked.)
5. Air filter clean and no obstruction?
6. Assuming it is carbureted, the carburetor is clean and bowls/floats aren't stuck?

If all those are found to be OK, I'd look into the valve gaps to see if those are set properly. I'm not sure what the gap should be between the rocker arms and the valve stem, so maybe check online to see if there's a specification for this engine.

Good luck.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtking View Post
...so maybe check online to see if there's a specification for this engine.Good luck.
Steroid Yamaha TW200... The REAL thingy is a good guideline...

Old 06-22-2016, 01:12 AM   #4

After everything you have done, I would start by checking to make sure the 'choke' is working/set to the proper setting, then move on to pulling apart and actually clean out the Carburetor/jets/adjustment screws/etc... and also check the valves for the proper gap

"You never know what someone is hiding beneath their smile..." - NinjaTom - R.I.P.

Old 06-22-2016, 03:28 AM   #5

OK folks, place your bets, place your bets.

Fouled spark plug
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 06-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #6

valves way out of spec?

" Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - John Lennon

“I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
― Thomas Jefferson

"If you don't know where you're going any road will take you there" ....George Harrison song

Old 06-26-2016, 07:53 PM   #7

I would check for spark first. The few of these that have been around all seemed to have weak spark. The other issue was low compression.

I do have a parts bike here. Sold all the engine parts, but if you get it running again and need anything let me know.

Tags
250cc, unknown cause, won't start, zongshen 2006