Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Reviews
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #1

Gio (Tao Tao) 150 ATV Review

I've had my 150cc ATC for a few weeks now. I wanted the 250 but was told they are not importing them anymore. The 150 has the same size frame and the venerable GY6 motor with the advantage of parts availability (they've built millions of these engines). It has a little less power than the 250 (which is really a 200cc engine) but is an automatic which I think I like a little better.
The build quality seems quite good. Obviously, corners were cut to keep the low price point but it all depends on what you intend to use it for. Checking the perimeter of your property or lazy rides around the gravel campsite trails is what this rig is best for. I don't think it would stand up to the abuse of a risk-taking twenty-something year old.
Some surprising features are the triple disc brakes, remote starter, and included trailer hitch. The carburetor is made in Japan.
It starts easily every time and I think the motor is very solid and will probably last much longer than the rest of the machine.
Compared to the next cheapest Japanese machine, a Kawasaki Brute Force 300, it seems pretty comparable. I only paid $2300 including taxes, where the Kawi would ring in at about $6300 after all the taxes and fees - so I'm only it in for 1/3 of the price. The Kawi is definitely not triple the quality.
Expect to have to do a little tweaking. I have gone over many of the bolts with lock-tite, added some brake fluid, added an exhaust clamp, and made a few adjustments here and there. I've also added a winch and my GPS mount.
I'm very happy so far and I could buy 3 of them for the price of a Japanese one.

I'll update in a couple of months after I get some miles on it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0619.jpg (96.1 KB, 925 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0679.jpg (94.1 KB, 925 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0675.jpg (98.0 KB, 864 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0672.jpg (96.2 KB, 881 views)

Old 08-15-2017, 10:47 PM   #2

I think your point regarding parts availability is probably one of the biggest factors in deciding which non-big 4 quad to buy. You've made me think! : )

Old 08-26-2017, 04:14 PM   #3

FLASHLIGHTBOY is a dealer in Canada for Gio/Taotao, and will ship nationwide, so parts shouldn't be an issue for you guys up north. I know a dealer who can deal in Taotao here in the US, although that is not his main product, so if I ordered a bike through him, I know that parts wouldn't be an issue, although one can never be certain if the source does not have them.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 09-02-2017, 10:24 AM   #4

Parts

YES the big thing is the parts.... a lot of times it is can you get your parts in your area.. or if you can order them... some companys change their models and then drop all the parts.. so you are screwed... a lot of the TAO TAO are alover the USA and CANADA and other parts of the world... plus the used the same stuff... so that is ok.. and then on ebay as well .. cheap parts when you buy on ebay from CHINA... just the wait kills you.... I see 150 cc gy6 carbs from CHINA WITH FREE SHIPPING FOR ABOUT $18.00 USD... Why rebuild one?? everyone should have one as a spare... carbs for 6.5 hp motors... trail bikes or snowblower stuff... $6.00 or so.. it is good when you find a line of parts for cheap..... like BONUS DAY.. nice atv you have posted above.. this is a nice 150 cc atv... good build ,,,, nice winch setup..