Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2017, 11:24 AM   #1

250cc Rhino chain Q/A

morning all,,
250CC rhino and 150cc bulls;
how do I get the best or lets say "correct" chain tension on each??
I've ridden and haven't touched in a bit and would love to know if I'm on borrowed time or too tight ect...
Maybe a tension tool someone recommends or a guide someplace online, or a trick you have for these ATV's
ps- Is there an official tension spec setpoint?
Thanks again

Old 08-18-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

You have to loosen the bolts on the rear suspension. after that there are 2 gold ibolts (might be silver) that you have to loosen the nuts on to either tighten more or loosen. on youtube they have a few videos showing how to exactly do it. they do it with bikes and atvs. same process.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:44 PM   #3

Two large nuts on each side will need to be loosened up a hair. Think they are 17mm maybe bigger. That will free up the rear axle swing so the two chain tension adjuster screws will have effect.

I just set mine snug with just a tiny bit of play. There is a technique here using ratchet straps to keep the rear axle square with the front wheels but have not tried it yet. Haven't gotten around to it. There is a couple of threads on it in this board.

Doing it by hand your rear axle will be a little crooked... guess you call that rear steer. Once you get everything tight and straight you go ahead and lock down the adjusters and lock the rear axle swing bolts.

Old 08-18-2017, 04:36 PM   #4

Darth has it down. I will add what I did but your mileage may vary………

You don’t want the chain too lose or it will come off and conversely if it’s too tight bad things are bound to happen. When you compress the rear suspension you will notice the chain gets tighter and you want to avoid a no slack situation at the bottom of the compression.

I will loosen the two large (17 mm) nuts, and use the two adjustment nuts to get it so there is about 3/4 to 1 inch of play in the chain between sprockets. Then I have my 200 pound son compress the rear end by sitting as far back as possible to check to ensure there is a small amount of up and down play in the chain when it’s bottomed out. Adjust as needed so there is that small amount of play and then tighten the large nuts. If you don’t have a human weight like I do you can always use a ratcheting strap to compress the rear end.

While I had my rear axle loose I also measured from a fixed point on the front of the ATV to the rear rim on both sides to ensure the rear axle is square to the ATV so I wasn’t “crabbing”. One of my ATVs were dead on and the other needed adjustment. Hope this helps.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
Darth has it down. I will add what I did but your mileage may vary………

You don’t want the chain too lose or it will come off and conversely if it’s too tight bad things are bound to happen. When you compress the rear suspension you will notice the chain gets tighter and you want to avoid a no slack situation at the bottom of the compression.

I will loosen the two large (17 mm) nuts, and use the two adjustment nuts to get it so there is about 3/4 to 1 inch of play in the chain between sprockets. Then I have my 200 pound son compress the rear end by sitting as far back as possible to check to ensure there is a small amount of up and down play in the chain when it’s bottomed out. Adjust as needed so there is that small amount of play and then tighten the large nuts. If you don’t have a human weight like I do you can always use a ratcheting strap to compress the rear end.

While I had my rear axle loose I also measured from a fixed point on the front of the ATV to the rear rim on both sides to ensure the rear axle is square to the ATV so I wasn’t “crabbing”. One of my ATVs were dead on and the other needed adjustment. Hope this helps.
HUMAN WEIGHT PLUS ONE SWAMPY DOG
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 PM   #6

Good tip on the ratchet strap to simulate weight didn't think of that. Thanks Swampy.

I guess you strap the sprocket side axle to something up front to keep it from getting crooked/rear steer?

Old 08-18-2017, 08:55 PM   #7

I have a board on my garage wall to strap front of bike and use my suv trailer hitch to try and balance the axle straight. Some guys count the nmbr or turns as they unscrew it.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Racer View Post
Good tip on the ratchet strap to simulate weight didn't think of that. Thanks Swampy.

I guess you strap the sprocket side axle to something up front to keep it from getting crooked/rear steer?
A strap would have worked! I just backed both sides off, made a measurement, adjusted using the "boot" method (kicking the rear tires while holding onto the rear rack.....) and tightened the correct adjuster. Did this about three times till I got it lined up.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

I tried the boot with not much luck.. will try the strap next time.

Old 08-23-2017, 09:31 AM   #10

HMMM,
I'm going to try utube as a backup,
I also know exactly where the 17mm bolts are, as on a recent trip it loosened and sons 150CC chain came right off.
so overall; The two 17mm get loosened, then the tension Ibolts with the lock nuts on each side, then set the tension to 3/4 when all said and done..
Super,, thanks all...

Old 08-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #11

Chain adjustment

HELLO.... here is what I tell all my customers to do..... after they take the extra nut from the right side adjuster... as it is for a adjustment they will not do... once it is removed... then do the following.... the main thing is not to have the axle correct compared to the front steering axle... if the right side is farther THEN you can use a comeable strap..( tarp strap tie down strap ) whatever you call it.. to sinch the right side up to even the sides.... only once the axle bolts are loose... then follow the instruction... about 1/2 inch free play on the chain... allows for weight... can not load pic ... too big.. but that is the key thing.... MAKE both sides the same spread... then the rear axle runs straight.. and the gears are inline with each other

Old 08-23-2017, 09:35 PM   #12

axle adjustment

ok, I got the pic... a lot of you guys know how to adjust the axle so this is for a lot of the new people..... the main thing I see a lot of pushing their atv up against a wall or other things... this is simple... if one axle has to go forward... AFTER YOU HAVE ALL THE BOLTS LOOSE... just use the ratchet strap around the rear axle and up to the front right A ARM... then ratchet forward to move the rear axle until the measurement is within 1/2 spread.... this is the LAZYMAN WAY... works for me...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg axle adjustment.jpg (19.8 KB, 269 views)

Old 08-24-2017, 10:16 AM   #13

wow that's awesome,
truly appreciate the picture..what's interesting overall is how basic the units are, as they require wratchet straps and the like for adjustments, but it is what it is..
The reason I asked for spec on the chain tension was that there is a chain tensioning tool called "chain monkey" that seems to work spot on but only if you know the exact tension amount per the manufacturer. thought it would remove the guesswork.
thanks again FLASHLIGHTBOY that was an awesome reply!

Old 08-24-2017, 02:42 PM   #14

I leave about 1/2 inch play or so. some ppl do more. as long as u don't go and have it flopping all over it's all good. No special tools needed. just have to loosen all the bolts on the rear lower part of the frame to do it correctly.