Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2017, 12:02 PM   #16

Work in progress but I'm happy so far. Probably going to switch to all white plastics over the winter.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170904_105549.jpg (94.2 KB, 291 views)

Old 09-05-2017, 05:59 AM   #17

Nice nice one mate, took the china girl out on a date today she went well,gave her a go on steep dune she ate easily, ive got same gearing awesome on tight trails, my carb set up is standard keihin 38mm, middle clip, airsrew just on 1.75 turns out,im at sea level though, cousin got a carbi-crf450 paid 5k, engine seized, quoted 3.5k to rebuild, great bike, but when they go bang its $$$ ouch! !!!!!!!, you got best of both worlds, stiff light frame & reliable simple engine, im shorter than you, not much drama with riding, used to ride xr600 that was animal couldn't even touch the ground lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170905_105758.jpg (95.5 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 20170905_120129.jpg (97.1 KB, 271 views)

Old 09-05-2017, 11:25 AM   #18

Very cool. Nice to see another conversion out there. Makes you wonder why some of the main manufacturers haven't seen a market for an air-cooled type bike in this class? The CRF230s and CRF100F are not really there in my opinion. Pretty versatile and reliable setups though!

For many years the stock motors in most of the CRF250/450 Xs and Rs had the motors fail only after a few hundred miles due to poor valve and head designs. :(

My buddy has already blown a rad hose a few times on his KTM and he is a maintenance freak like me.

I'm happy to just have some good oil in it and go with this thing.

Old 09-06-2017, 05:05 AM   #19

just replace the titainum valves with stainless & a
real piston with a skirt....
Those motors are stressed to the limit... a CRF250
has a detectable power loss after 5 hours use..
They are built to win races not last...
but the CRF dose seem to be the most fagile of
the jap 4T MX bikes..

77 Montesa Cota 348 MRR "Malcom Rathnell Replica"...

Current resto projects..
81 Honda CT110...
80 Kawasaki KL250A1...

11 Husaburg TE125 enduro... "sold" along with another 31...
Lifan 125 Pitbike.. "stolen" ...

KIWI BIKER FORUM...... http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/content.php

All the best offroad rides in NZ...
http://www.remotemoto.com/

E-mail... xtpete1@gmail.com

Old 09-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #20

Around here you'd be paying around $12K easily for a newer bike and racing it or not I'd be pissed if I had to rebuild or replace an engine only after a nominal amount of hours not even beating on the thing. Really bad design on Honda's part. No wonder people flock to KTMs.

Rest of the bike is pretty solid other than the damn Honda wheel spokes that always seem to loosen themselves off no matter what you do.

I picked up my 450X, less motor, for next to nothing because the guy did just that, blew the motor, and he barely rode the thing! Sad, Honda lost another customer there.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:55 AM   #21

Yeah just can't justify that kind of coin & rebuilds considering I'm no racer, there a bucket loads of crf250r/450 for sale here, wonder why .how does aftermarket cdi go? Is it the racing one with no rev limiter? Did look into that but thought it may shorten engine life, as bike already gets a hard time, if i come across another crf250r clone with a blown engine ill probably build another one,robust ,cheap & reliable.that 450 chasis actually looks slightly larger than the 250,

Old 09-09-2017, 12:09 PM   #22

The CDI is from Casoli, one of the gold 6 pin units. It has a rev limiter built in, which I prefer to be honest, and is suppose to have an advanced timing curve. Is it better than stock? I believe it does work better although I had to tune the carb differently for it. The stock unit has a nice smooth idle and ok rev up. The Casoli unit causes a bit of light burp and farts at idle but the ramp up response from idle to full throttle is insane! It did actually wake up the motor if you have a few mods like we do. Only my opinion though.

The 450X (not R) chassis is really nice to work with. No cutting to fit these motors. It is different from all the rest of the bike frames in the CRF lineup and is obviously a bit larger due to the stock 450X having electric start etc. which makes these conversions so nice. The Zong 250 motors fit right in you'd think it was design for it. The main front mount lines up perfect with the top front motor mount on the zong with no extra brackets, just spacers for the bolt through. It was easy to weld a few extra tabs for the other motor mounts and for extra assurance I made a bracket setup for the back that allows the swing-arm pivot bolt to act as a support like the stock CRF motors but it really isn't necessary, just extra assurance.

My biggest hurtle was the wiring. I've done electronics all my life and this is extremely basic wiring but the routing of the wires (since it's not the CRF setup) was a bit tricky. Having to over think it so it was still all accessible but safely tucked away in the frame.

Only other thing was a bit if plastic modding to the stock 450X fuel tank. It's over sized from the factory and sits low in the frame which hit the tall head of this air-cooled zong motor. Basically heat with a paint stripper gun and slowly push the bottom bulge inward. A bit of work but turned out nice.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Old 04-14-2018, 03:58 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanbeing View Post
Chinese had 2 type:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=546435316215 (ie. the oil-cool system is NOT always ON)
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=546033184506 (ie. the oil-cool system is ALWAYS on)
Sorry for being off topic please can you provide the difference between those. And my engine has no provision for it in stock settings. Can I still use it?
I wonder how is the oil pumped from the drain bolt?

Old 05-02-2018, 02:31 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkhangee View Post
Sorry for being off topic please can you provide the difference between those. And my engine has no provision for it in stock settings. Can I still use it?
I wonder how is the oil pumped from the drain bolt?
The second link is the oil cooler style a few of us run now. It doesn't pump from the drain bolt. It replaces the filter screen spring and cap with a pickup and return plug for the oil cooler. This is the main feed and return for the oil pump, and thus the oil pump pumps the oil to and from the cooler.