Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2017, 07:55 PM   #1

anyone own the TaoTao Hellcat 125?

Been looking around for a cheap project grom style bike to mess around with and get around town. Seems like a lot of people have the vader/boom and this one looks pretty similar except for $1100 shipped. Thoughts? Thanks!

https://www.wmsbrighton.com/product_p/tthellcat125.htm

Old 08-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #2

Taotao have been making strides in adding in quality to their bikes the past 2 or 3 years. People have been noticing the improvements. In fact, my friend who is the general manager for Excalibur Motorsports, who are the exclusive distributors for TGB Scooters in the US, has found out, is that many scooter rental businesses in the US do not find using a top of the line scooter, such as the TGB, good for their business model. Many are now using Taotao models because they are so low cost and have surprising quality. Coincidentally, Alan Tang (the manager) is friends with a few people at the Taotao So. Cal. warehouse, and Excalibur do distribute their scooters and quads. Also, Excalibur have a retail license, so can sell you a Hellcat, as well as any other Taotao. I always recommend Alan because he answers the phone all day, making him easy to get hold of. Several people ordered Bashan Brozz and Bashan Sharks through him, and all offered praise for him (if you research Chinariders). 909-591-8800

I would order one of the Taotao Hellcats over the Vader or the Ice Bear, and even the SSR Razkull (due to the SSR's higher price and I am not sure if one can be mail-ordered).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 08-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Taotao have been making strides in adding in quality to their bikes the past 2 or 3 years. People have been noticing the improvements. In fact, my friend who is the general manager for Excalibur Motorsports, who are the exclusive distributors for TGB Scooters in the US, has found out, is that many scooter rental businesses in the US do not find using a top of the line scooter, such as the TGB, good for their business model. Many are now using Taotao models because they are so low cost and have surprising quality. Coincidentally, Alan Tang (the manager) is friends with a few people at the Taotao So. Cal. warehouse, and Excalibur do distribute their scooters and quads. Also, Excalibur have a retail license, so can sell you a Hellcat, as well as any other Taotao. I always recommend Alan because he answers the phone all day, making him easy to get hold of. Several people ordered Bashan Brozz and Bashan Sharks through him, and all offered praise for him (if you research Chinariders). 909-591-8800

I would order one of the Taotao Hellcats over the Vader or the Ice Bear, and even the SSR Razkull (due to the SSR's higher price and I am not sure if one can be mail-ordered).
does alan know you are telling all his secrets ?

hot enough for ya (don't you love it when that question is asked? duh)
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 08-19-2017, 05:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
does alan know you are telling all his secrets ?

hot enough for ya (don't you love it when that question is asked? duh)
It has 'cooled' down from the 115 range the past couple weeks. I dare say it is 'cool' on my morning commute nowadays. Actually, Alan has had a surge of TGB sales lately, starting a couple weeks ago, including a few rental shops in Florida. One dealer bought 10 of the X-Race scooters for his Key West location. Another dealer (I forgot where, but apparently an island attached-ish to Florida, but I don't believe the Keys) bought 6 of the Key Wests (ironic, huh? ).

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #5

Did you end up getting the Hellcat?

Old 08-24-2017, 11:04 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortor View Post
Did you end up getting the Hellcat?
Haven't heard from him or anyone getting one! Am curious as to if my theory on Taotao's quality is correct, but seeing at the things people had to do to get the Vader running properly once they got it assembled, I couldn't imagine the Taotao being WORSE...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-26-2017, 03:06 PM   #7

Right. I'm leaning towards the Razkull, even though it's considerably more expensive, but I know for a fact it's running and assembled ^_^.

Though for a 1100 shipped.......................... Hard to beat that honestly. Even project bikes are 1000+ in my neck of the woods. And they usually have multiple carburators that need to be ungunked >_<

Old 08-26-2017, 04:07 PM   #8

Do you have a SSR dealer nearby? Our local Honda/Yamaha dealer took on SSR, but they strategize what bikes they sell--only the pit bikes and one XF250, one of the funky-looking electric scooters, both of which have been sitting for months, and recently they added the 450 MX bike; but no SSR scooters or Razkulls so as to not poach from their Honda scooter or Grom sales (my guess). I am sure I could special order a Razkull, if I was in the market, but could imagine having to pay MSRP plus fees. I am cheap, and would order the Hellcat through my buddy, after all is said and done...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 08-27-2017, 12:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
Do you have a SSR dealer nearby? Our local Honda/Yamaha dealer took on SSR, but they strategize what bikes they sell--only the pit bikes and one XF250, one of the funky-looking electric scooters, both of which have been sitting for months, and recently they added the 450 MX bike; but no SSR scooters or Razkulls so as to not poach from their Honda scooter or Grom sales (my guess). I am sure I could special order a Razkull, if I was in the market, but could imagine having to pay MSRP plus fees. I am cheap, and would order the Hellcat through my buddy, after all is said and done...
There is a Razkull dealer here, they're charging 1999 USD. But I can get a clone with a lifan engine from Belmontebikes for 1299 or this Hellcat for 1100 and go to town with the remaining cash on modifications. Specifically that tboltusa mikuni kit.

Your buddy is Alan from Excalibur, yea? I shot them an email about the Hellcat and got nothing back. But I think you suggested to call.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortor View Post
There is a Razkull dealer here, they're charging 1999 USD. But I can get a clone with a lifan engine from Belmontebikes for 1299 or this Hellcat for 1100 and go to town with the remaining cash on modifications. Specifically that tboltusa mikuni kit.

Your buddy is Alan from Excalibur, yea? I shot them an email about the Hellcat and got nothing back. But I think you suggested to call.
If you can swing it, the Razkull should be a good bike. Belmontebikes is Venom? They sell the Boom Vader and the other Boom bike that looks the Razkull. I am not sure--heck, I doubt, Alan can get the Taotao to you for $1100, as he does not like to price match with the heavily discount retailers because he has an implied warranty built in to his deals. Couldn't hurt to call and see what kind of deal he will make.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150

Old 11-08-2017, 11:04 PM   #11

Not to revive a old thread but I just picked up a TaoTao hellcat 125, got 245 miles on it so far. Getting ready to change the oil on it, runs pretty smooth. Had to trim the throttle tube a little to get the idle low enough, due to cheap controls holding the tube. Still need to go through the bike with red loctite on motor mount bolts and major bolts. Probably replace the motor mount bolts with stronger ones. I have to tighten up the steering stem nut and cap bolt to, little movement in the steering stem, just someone slacking when it was assembled at the dealer I guess. Other then that little bit of vibration due to loose stuff, should smooth out more after tightening everything. I'm happy with it so far. Plan on a mikuni carb kit and exhaust soon and remove the egr stuff. Might look into a piranha motor or something from tboltusa later. Just want to upgrade everything that seems cheap now and the carb and exhaust. Might do some wheelie practice soon if I can get a few nice weather days soon lol.