Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Riding > Ride Reports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 06:16 PM   #1

1st ride with my GY-5

Today was my first offroad riding with it. I was just loosening a few bolts, locktightening them, tightening the chain and such and thought I would go for a little spin to warm the chain up. We live within 3 miles of the lake and a small ORV trail so I headed that way. Went back into the narly trails where I haven't ridden on since I shattered my legs about 5 years ago. Cruised down in there and then started to get nervous. I didn't take any of the vertical wall trails out, but I feel glad to of had to guts to finally go back in there. Maybe next time I go back it will be more fun.
Left there and went down a gravel road to the damn where lots of people were fishin'.
Nothing too exciting but it was fun to get out and cruise on a street legal dirt bike!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:38 PM   #2

Word of advice...

If you go offroad out into the trails it is best if you ride with a buddy. Much safer and it really is good to get help for pulling your bike out of the mud!!

Congrats on the new bike!

Old 03-17-2007, 07:45 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to mdsuave13 Send a message via Yahoo to mdsuave13
not to mention if you break your cellphone or you dont have one.. they can help you or get help if you get hurt...

plus dragging a 250lb bike out of a 20 foot long mudpit up to your knees is also a pain...

what did you think of the bike performance wise? what kind of bike did you have before?

2008 Kawasaki KLR650 Candy Lime Green

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #4

I shattered my legs on a modded CR250R.
I just recently bought a YZ 125 with lots of hopups and sold it with enough profit to buy my GY-5.

Took the YZ out a few times and it was a RIPPER! Barely goose the throttle and it would hit the powerband HARD. AWESOME! I loved the quick speed of it and wanted to keep it but I know how fast you can get launched into the air only to slam on the flat bottom. Just sitting here thinking about it makes me wish I still had it BUT with little ones I wouldn't have much time to get out and ride and I can't afford to be in a wheelchair again.

So... The Lifan is a turd compared to my previous dirt bikes but it'll be more practical for me. I could barely gas the YZ in the field out back and it would shoot big ole roosters. Tried it with the Lifan and the rear tire usually hooks up and bogs down the engine. Booo

Old 03-17-2007, 09:22 PM   #5

gotta love 2 strokes! i loved my blaster with a big bore kit, that thing was a blast.. until i rode a modded banshee that made my blaster feel like a power wheel..

I am the official China bike registration Guru For the State of Maryland..... HA.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #6

Me and a smalled guy swapped one day (after I started my bike for him) and I thought the blaster was a snoozer. Slow and I could of easily went over the handlebars because of it's small size.

I'd love to build a 2 stroke go cart!!!! Whaa, whaa! lol

Old 03-17-2007, 09:46 PM   #7

I know better than to get back on another 2-stroke, I've owned many but I know as soon as I get back on one I'd try some stupid stunt from the old days and get myself all banged up so I'll just ride my GY and keep it real...

Old 03-17-2007, 09:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage

I'd love to build a 2 stroke go cart!!!! Whaa, whaa! lol
what about the gixxer kart on youtube? its got a 750cc inline 4 from a suzuki gsxr 750.. it looks to be insanely fast.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #9

Suave, there is another vid on Youtube that has a kart with a 1000cc in it, absolutly sick, if I find the link I will post it, off to go watch a movie w/ the woman...

Old 03-18-2007, 09:13 PM   #10

Took it out again a couple times today. Fun! Was riding in the grass and 3' tall brush in the steep ditches between our housing area and another one. It was fun to get acquainted with the bike and learn how it does descending and ascending hills.

Then we (family in the car, me on the bike) went out to one of the little lakes behind our house tonight so I got my first taste of how it handles rock and gravel roads. Did just as good as I would expect a dirt bike to do.

Only complaint so far is the vibrating is gives you when you're off the throttle deccelerating. (and that it can't power wheelie, lol)

Old 03-18-2007, 09:21 PM   #11

Savage, good to hear ya like your bike, not a whole lot of power wheelies with these bikes but it can be done, my girlfriend is going to video me doing one or crashing, either way should be entertaining, ha, ha... Seriously, rev to 3k, and dump the clutch, I'm light, lifts right up but can't get it into 2nd gear and maintain it but it will stay up in 1st and keep your toe ready to hit the back brake if you feel like your going over...You can wheelie anything, well not my car...yet...

Old 03-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambassador
Savage, good to hear ya like your bike, not a whole lot of power wheelies with these bikes but it can be done, my girlfriend is going to video me doing one or crashing, either way should be entertaining, ha, ha... Seriously, rev to 3k, and dump the clutch, I'm light, lifts right up but can't get it into 2nd gear and maintain it but it will stay up in 1st and keep your toe ready to hit the back brake if you feel like your going over...You can wheelie anything, well not my car...yet...
I would defenitely like to see some video!!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #13

with my zonsheng 250 i can pop a wheelie whithout even popping the clutch just give it gas and it comes off the ground in first and in second i do it all the time heres one i did today in first gear

Old 03-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
Yeah, no clutch work is necessary on my bike either. Just punch it and the front end comes right up.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 03-22-2007, 11:12 PM   #15

My GY-5 wont do that. Are those dirt bikes lighter? I think if I had a larger rear sprocket I could do it. Popping the clutch brings it up just fine. I do it every time I stop :twisted: I do mean every single time. Stoplights, stop signs, sitting in traffic, etc... I'll probably get a ticket sooner or later