Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2023, 01:57 PM   #1

Bought the XPro Templar X250

For anyone considering buying who wants a closer look. First impressions, I think the quality of these versus the Hawk 250 platform seems fantastic. A shame this 6-speed Zongshen engine does not have a kick start as I've enjoyed that on the TT250.

Delivery was interesting. It was very quick to show up (ordered April 9th Sun, arrived April 13th Thurs) and did not require me to be home to accept delivery, which came as a surprise because the shipper did not communicate their intent, but it worked out perfectly.

Last edited by vividpixel; 04-16-2023 at 02:05 PM. Reason: comment on delivery

Old 04-16-2023, 04:18 PM   #2

Congratulations, Those are really sharp looking bikes.

Who did you purchase it from?

Old 04-16-2023, 05:40 PM   #3

Amazon seemed a safe bet, and 0% financing made it possible sooner rather than later.

Those keys are really something.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:33 PM   #4

a lot like Honda 4 wheeler keys

Old 04-16-2023, 08:58 PM   #5

OOOoooo. Fully adjustable suspension on an enduro platform with a ZS172FMM 20hp engine.

You will be pleased

Nice Blue bike

Don't worry. You won't need a kick start. You might want to get a replacement battery at end of season (80 CCA battery). Check the Resource Guide for info...

Old 04-17-2023, 12:04 PM   #6

you can't deny the templars are nice looking bikes!

Old 04-22-2023, 05:43 PM   #7

Today was the first ride on the TX250, and I feel like I've discovered the meaning of life. This feels like it's a great height seat for me (I'm 5'8", plus I wear MX-style boots), but wouldn't want an inch more. Ground clearance is amazing and it has some real power! Even when you're in sixth gear it doesn't feel gutless.

But importantly, it feels like a true dirt bike. All I knew was the TT250 up until this point, and this really makes that feel like a scooter. The sound of it idling is a really nice rumble and I'm in love.

I did receive the MCO that said OFF ROAD MOTORCYCLE but they're sending me a replacement that'll allow me to register it hassle-free. Nevada's cool enough to let you plate real dirtbikes if you get them inspected by a dealer or mechanic, but I'm fine choosing the simple route.

I did not adjust valves and perhaps that is why the idle sometimes is really high, sometimes low enough to stall. Tried adjusting the idle screw up a good ways and down a good ways, but it's just inconsistent. I did have to reroute the throttle cable a bit to stop it from getting tugged when turning right.

Old 04-22-2023, 06:43 PM   #8

seems like the best bang for the buck!

Old 04-23-2023, 08:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividpixel View Post

Today was the first ride on the TX250, ....

I did not adjust valves and perhaps that is why the idle sometimes is really high, sometimes low enough to stall. Tried adjusting the idle screw up a good ways and down a good ways, but it's just inconsistent. I did have to reroute the throttle cable a bit to stop it from getting tugged when turning right.
There a few things to check for this issue:

1. Definitely take the time to set the valve clearance:
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...4&postcount=23

2. Remove the carb and rejet it
https://www.chinariders.net/showpost...59&postcount=4

3. When you remove the carb to rejet (and drill the airscrew-4. below), remove the intake plenum/"manifold". It probably has no gasket. There is a compatible gasket someone found (I am not sure where this is posted). I will look for it, It should be in the Templar X resource thread!

4. When you have the carb out, also drill out the airscrew cover. It is a flat round plate on the right side just above float bowl seam height, behind the slide height screw (the idle adjust screw). Try a clockwise adjustment on the airscrew once you have uncovered it (enriches when you turn clockwise). Anywhere between half turn and two turns might be right-mine is at ~3/4 turn.

Getting the carb sealed up against the head, and jet properly with airmix adjusted, and getting the valves at ~0.0015 to 0.002" will make a huge difference in how stable and responsive this engine idles and runs!

Also, change the oil immediately if you haven't already. The original oil is probably substandard. Some people call it "shipping oil". Rotella T4 10w-40 is one option (Walmart has it). ~1.1 quart

Last edited by Thumper; 04-23-2023 at 09:26 AM.

Old 04-24-2023, 09:24 PM   #10

Thanks Thumper. I did at least change out the shipping oil before even starting the bike. I'm hoping to not have to learn to work on a carb in the near future. And on that note, I commuted today (26 miles round-trip) on the Templar X aka CB250F. The idle remained consistent!

Shifting up still likes to be difficult at times, a big deal on the road since you quickly get into 6th gear, but I assume this should improve as the miles increase (currently 46). Haven't adjusted valves yet, though she does start up effortlessly.

I can't get over how MEAN this thing sounds, and it looks badass, too! The graphics on one side had some big air bubbles that needed popping upon arrival but a small price to pay for a bike that kicks so much ass for so little cash.

Old 04-29-2023, 04:49 PM   #11

Today's adventure

"Watch mod" - Big digits that are SUPER visible outdoors (more so than the gauge cluster)

Though my pictures look like I was having a tame stroll, I took the X250 on routes that the TT250 would have struggled due to ground clearance and suspension. Absolutely loving this upgrade, feels like a real dirt bike. Of course the first gas station I go to, someone wanted a wheelie. One of these days I'll have to post some video of me having fun out there, since I'm typically recording.

Old 10-29-2023, 10:30 AM   #12

This weekend I've checked a lot of things off the Templar To-Do List. It's at 444 miles.
  • valve adjustment # this SUCKS compared to Zongshen's 229cc engine
  • oil change
  • air filter replaced
    Maxima Racing Oils AFR-2401-00 ProFilter Ready to Use Dual Stage Foam Air Filter, Single, Green + K&N Air Filter Oil
  • headlight replaced # hi-beam is lo-beam, but looks like a consistent and concentrated pattern!
    H4 LED Headlight Bulb Motorcycle w/ Angle Eye Daytime Running Light 9003 Hi/Lo Beam 25W 3200LM Custom Chips High Bright 6000K Conversion
  • battery replaced
Some pictures:

High beam:

Low beam: (lifts up & splits the beam into 2 beams)

Old 10-29-2023, 12:10 PM   #13

Interesting bulb. But that high/low thing would bug me. I'd have to pull the plug and swap two wires. So you have a link to the exact bulb you bought? Google bring up multiple choices.

Old 10-31-2023, 10:20 AM   #14

It is the very first result when searching that exact string on Google or DuckDuckGo, or view HERE!

The high-beam and low-beam reversal is just due to an upside down mounting of the light, but I believe the beam just didn't seem to aim as well when right-side up. Either way, I decided to mount it however it would stay in place. Sadly, it still didn't.

The original black plastic ring for the headlight bulb has a broken tab, and the metal one coming with this light does not secure it in the slightest. Purchased a set of 2 plastic LED adapter rings that I'll try out this evening as otherwise I'm not sure how the hell to secure a headlight on the Templar. Bought a set of metal clips intended for motorcycle headlights, but none fit. I can see the appeal of buying an entire replacement LED housing but I hope to make this work.

Old 10-31-2023, 01:41 PM   #15

Thanks for the info on the headlight. I copied and googled the description you posted and sure enough, it showed up an exact match on Amazon. $17.39 after my State tax added. Not bad! I will wrangle with the bulb securing issue later this Winter after my Fall projects are done. I have a head to port as well. Lots to do this Winter!

The Hi/Lo bean button has never made sense to me because neither seems like a high beam

Tags
dualsport, quality, templar, xpro, zongshen