Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Media/Reviews/Classifieds/Sponsors > Video and Pics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2023, 02:46 PM   #1

What's " Good Enough" for an action camera ?

I went for a ride a few days ago, and it had rained earlier, and was kinda windy, and the backroads had a lot of bright oranges, yellow,and red leaves all over the roads, and the trees still had a lot of color, and there was leaves in the air as well. I thought to myself that it would have been a nice ride to record. I happened to look at action cameras, and was surprised that many were surprisingly inexpensive. I don't mean the $30 ones, but ones that are getting good reviews, like Akaso V50X, Akaso Brave4, And several of the Wolfang brand . I don't need professional grade, but also have to have something with " good enough" imagine stabilization for backroads on a motorcycle. Have any of you had good results with any of the " better" generic cameras? What could you recommend, or warm me of? I figure black Friday sales will have some good prices.

Old 11-01-2023, 03:11 PM   #2

Most of those cameras work pretty good. Just makes sure it has a jack for an external mic so you can mount the mic inside the camera. Otherwise you will have nothing but a bunch of wind noise.
Something like this one which had 50% off right now. https://amzn.to/47fzF77
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-01-2023, 03:38 PM   #3

I had this one in my Amazon cart last night, but didn't know if it would have good enough imagine stabilization on a bumpy road.https://www.amazon.com/WOLFANG-GA300...0-4513d670b6bc

Old 11-01-2023, 04:00 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I had this one in my Amazon cart last night, but didn't know if it would have good enough imagine stabilization on a bumpy road.https://www.amazon.com/WOLFANG-GA300...0-4513d670b6bc
Yes it looks like it does have it. Should be good.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-01-2023, 05:51 PM   #5

I shot my videos with the Akaso EK7000. It does 1080P at 30 fps, pretty well, but I'm more interested in the 720P at 120 fps. Future videos will be shot at that setting. It will do 4K at 30 fps, just not very well and definitely not "good enough".

https://www.amazon.com/AKASO-EK7000-...0-4513d670b6bc

"If there were more bloody noses, there would be less wars." - Hagbard Celine

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-01-2023, 06:14 PM   #6

I went ahead, and ordered this one, just a few minutes ago. It came with a $40.00 off coupon. I think it may have a little better stabilization than the Wolfang GA300, but the main difference that I am paying $30.00 more for it over the 300 is that it's waterproof without a case, and evidently has a more durable construction. I was going to wait for black Friday sales, but I went ahead, and got it over with. I hope to be able to get it mounted on a helmet, so it basically sees what I see.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B09J4...b_b_prod_image

Old 11-01-2023, 11:21 PM   #7

Nice, I'm interested to see how it does. I personally would not trust my mount to a piece of two way tape, so I went with this guy's mounting method. Very secure and does not interfere with the vent. I had to modify the nose piece inside the helmet. Basically cut notches in it to account for the straps.

"Someday, after mastering the waves, the winds, the tides and gravity, we shall harness for God the energies of love and then, for the second time in the history of the world, man will have discovered fire." - Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Old 11-02-2023, 10:28 AM   #8

can you power them from a USB port on the bike? I was thinking about mounting it on my dash. if not, how do the batteries last?

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 11-02-2023, 06:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Rider View Post
can you power them from a USB port on the bike? I was thinking about mounting it on my dash. if not, how do the batteries last?
I don't know, but I would bet that you could, because, on the one I ordered, and a lot of others as well, they don't have a dedicated charger for the batteries. I will get 2 batteries, but can only charge one at a time, because the camera has a jack ,and the proper cord for charging the battery, while the battery is in the camera. I have a fairly good size powerbank, that I hope I can run the cam off of using the charging cord, while simultaneously recording.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:27 PM   #10

My Akaso EK7000 came with a dedicated charger with two charge slots, and two batteries. They do seem to die pretty quick, but I believe most of these things can be run by a power bank or USB charge port.

If you want to be able to connect a wireless lavaliere mic, forget any camera made by Akaso. Just found that out today. They have proprietary micro USB, USB Type C and some other old data port that acts as a microphone jack. My guess is they rearranged the pinouts. The only external mic that works is one Akaso sells, and it's corded. I'm slightly pissed about this, but will likely keep the camera. It should come down to a matter of two wires from the Akaso cable that I will cut, expose and solder to an industry standard micro USB cable to 3.5mm audio jack.

On a side note, if you're having trouble getting your wireless lavaliere mic to work with a Samsung phone, just install Open Camera. I am completely baffled as to how a third party app works better than the one that came with the phone.

Old 11-02-2023, 07:59 PM   #11

I ordered some off brand micro SD cards from Walmart.com, and they, are supposed to come tomorrow via FedEx, which could be late in the evening, or around noon, you never know , and the camera is coming tomorrow by UPS. I hope I didn't cheap out on cards too much. I really don't even know how to post a video. I assume I will have to figure out how to get it on YouTube first, but I figure it will have to go to my phone before posting it on YouTube. Here are the cards I ordered.KOOTION 5 Pack 64 GB Micro SD Cards TF Card SDXC U3 Memory Cards High Speed microSD Card for Phone Security Camera https://www.walmart.com/ip/129249167

Old 11-02-2023, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hilly View Post
I ordered some off brand micro SD cards from Walmart.com, and they, are supposed to come tomorrow via FedEx, which could be late in the evening, or around noon, you never know , and the camera is coming tomorrow by UPS. I hope I didn't cheap out on cards too much. I really don't even know how to post a video. I assume I will have to figure out how to get it on YouTube first, but I figure it will have to go to my phone before posting it on YouTube. Here are the cards I ordered.KOOTION 5 Pack 64 GB Micro SD Cards TF Card SDXC U3 Memory Cards High Speed microSD Card for Phone Security Camera https://www.walmart.com/ip/129249167
youtube is easy enough to post vids to. Here's my site which I posted some vids several years ago from a cheap camera which did a 5 min rolling video.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7e...HWUI3ZBYfkjwjg

Bikes I've owned: Suzuki GS450T, Yamaha XS500, Honda V45 Sabre, Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic (2), Suzuki VX800, Kawasaki Ninja 650, Triumph TT600, Honda Superhawk, Kawasaki Concours 1000 (3, including a sidecar rig), Buell XB9R, Kawasaki Nomad 1500, Concours 14, Honda Goldwing (2), Housen Hawk, Suzuki Intruder 1400, Kawasaki KLR650, Victory V92TC.

Old 11-04-2023, 10:16 AM   #13

I got my camera, and cards in time to go for a little spin on both the Hawk, and KPX, and the video quality, and stabilization really pleased me. The only helmet mount bases were two peel, and stick ones, one for flat, and one for slightly curved surface. I wanted my camera on the right side, and after mounting the camera, I realized that I couldn't use the external microphone, because there is a little panel that swings out, and the mic plugs in behind it, and I didn't have room to do it because the cam was too close to my helmet. I set my cam's angle with my visor up, and when I put it down, some of the camera view was through the visor. I recorded at 30 frames per second, because I think that's what most people do. I think I used 4K. I don't know why, but on each of the 2 recordings I made the video stopped at about 14 minutes, and started again on it's own in a separate video. I tried to get them on YouTube, and they seem like they will take an EXTREMELY long time to upload. Is there a better method ? What about recording on 2.7 K? Would that make uploading easier? I am going to try, and do something about my helmet mount ,so I can use the external microphone, and may experiment with different resolutions. I really got frustrated last night trying to get the videos up on YouTube.

Old 11-04-2023, 03:13 PM   #14

Upload speed is ridiculously slower than download speed, so you're gonna be waiting a while no matter what, but the smaller the video, the faster it uploads.

Most of these action cams are designed to film in chunks like that when you film for a long time.

I would recommend shooting quick vids on each setting. Do a lap, change setting, do a lap, etc. You will see the difference.

Old 11-04-2023, 03:55 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdano711 View Post
Upload speed is ridiculously slower than download speed, so you're gonna be waiting a while no matter what, but the smaller the video, the faster it uploads.

Most of these action cams are designed to film in chunks like that when you film for a long time.

I would recommend shooting quick vids on each setting. Do a lap, change setting, do a lap, etc. You will see the difference.

I just got back from an experimental ride. I had extended my camera out from were it was yesterday using another one of those links that come with the camera, so I could hook up the mic, and I also went to 1080P 30 frames per second, and figure I would go up on a near by high ridge, and do a short video. Well when I got up to were I intended to start the video, I couldn't hear the beep from the camera,so I took my helmet off to see if it was recording, and the one of the bolts that holds the links on the camera mount together had backed out, and I lost it. It must have just happened, because the the piece was still there in the interlocking slots, but the camera had flopped over. I came back, and may just take the KPX out on a short run, just up the road to at least see if I can get something on YouTube.