Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2019, 02:07 PM   #1

think Im done with grom clone

so far Ive had zero enjoyment of my tao tao hellcat.
It really just has an issue with the clutch not fully disengaging.
First I bought a new clutch, which made no difference.
Then, I bought a new clutch/engine cover which should have come with the clutch lever and clutch parts that are behind the chrome cover. I had to buy from Partskit since I can't find hellcat parts anywhere else. I've already had issues with their service before...so I emailed them to confirm that the cover comes with those misc clutch actuation parts. Basically I was told it comes as pictured.

Well, the new cover arrived today, I excitedly unboxed....
Here is the pic on partskit's site...and the pic of what I received:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled_10517.jpg (45.5 KB, 1435 views)
File Type: jpg 0729191355.jpg (82.5 KB, 1454 views)

Old 07-29-2019, 07:38 PM   #2

Bummer!

Old 07-29-2019, 08:37 PM   #3

Man, thats complete bs! And it looks scratched to hell too. WTF Partskit?

Old 07-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #4

I wrote partskit an email stating the issue and that I wanted a refund.
I actually got a phone call, they said they would see if they have all the misc parts that were missing and if they do, they will send them...if they don't they will refund me. Will just have to wait and see how that turns out.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhonda View Post
I wrote partskit an email stating the issue and that I wanted a refund.
I actually got a phone call, they said they would see if they have all the misc parts that were missing and if they do, they will send them...if they don't they will refund me. Will just have to wait and see how that turns out.
I ordered the left side plastic trim piece that goes under the seat of my Hellcat from Partskit, they sent me the right side, I emailed them and about a week later they sent me another one, again it was the wrong one. I took a picture of the one I needed and copied and pasted their diagram with the correct part circled and about a week later I finally received the correct one. To their credit they never asked me to send back the other two so I have two extra right sides, which is a good thing because when I bought mine they were $7 plus shipping, now they are asking $40 for the same part! Kudos to them for taking care of their mistakes no questions asked, but I feel this is a high volume item so now they are price gouging. I could probably get a genuine Grom part for less.

Old 08-01-2019, 11:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
Go to tboltusa.com and look at the tech data #1001 on how to convert automatic to manual clutch. It will show you how to put your clutch together. The pictures should be the same for your front clutch engine.
Partskit is giving me a refund, so I guess they didn't have all the small clutch actuation parts.

I tried opening up the case and comparing it to the pics at Tbolt, but they don't match up.
Not only does mine not have the stepped collar, it doesn't have a dimpled bushing either. Just the primary gear that sits flush and then the clutch goes on after it.
But I did notice that there was some slop with the clutch on the shaft, as though it was loose. But I used the proper tool, an impact gun and had the cup washer in place. So it's hard to imagine that it had started to come loose. This makes me wonder if maybe there is supposed to be a washer/shim that would go between the inner case and the primary gear?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0801192322a.jpg (94.3 KB, 1303 views)
File Type: jpg 0801192322b.jpg (95.7 KB, 1299 views)

Old 08-02-2019, 07:43 AM   #7

1. It looks like the dimpled bushing is inside your primary drive gear in the above picture, sometimes they get stuck due to oil stiction.

2. Usualy there is a collar next to the crank bearing, but are the rear drive teeth for the oil pump correctly lined up with the oil pump gear in the above pic?

3. You shouldn't use an impact gun when installing the clutch nut, it may cause binding against the crank bearing.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:01 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbkr188 View Post
1. It looks like the dimpled bushing is inside your primary drive gear in the above picture, sometimes they get stuck due to oil stiction.

2. Usualy there is a collar next to the crank bearing, but are the rear drive teeth for the oil pump correctly lined up with the oil pump gear in the above pic?

3. You shouldn't use an impact gun when installing the clutch nut, it may cause binding against the crank bearing.
The rear teeth are lined up OK, but if a thin collar were missing...one not much thicker than a washer, the teeth could still line up. I can't fine any videos of rebuilds that match this setup. All the vids have different primary gear with a thick, stepped collar. If only I had an exploded view to reference! This is how the bike was when I got it, but I have no idea if the previous owner or shop that worked on it knew what they were doing.

Old 08-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #9

Talking to others on "clone army" forum, there seems to be a pattern of having a lot of problems with the Hellcat clones. I don't see as many complaints about the Vaders or Boom Lil Ducatti`s. Could be just a coincidence maybe.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Old 08-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #10

I went to TaotaoUSA, and emailed their service contact stating the issues Im having and that I was looking for exploded parts view.

They sent me a link to the partskit website for the hellcat

Old 08-02-2019, 06:39 PM   #11

Anyone know a way to bench test a clutch to see if it can disengage?

Old 08-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #12

The only thing I could suggest to bench test it is with a piece of wood across the front and a small block of wood on the back where the primary gear goes, put it in a bench vise and slowly close the vise to compress the clutch springs. The whole basket should move inward, toward the back of the clutch. I'd want to take my time by slowly cranking the vise in, it probably won't go that far.
I'm inclined to believe that there is something missing on the shaft, not letting the clutch to be out far enough for the actuator arm "top hat" inside the cover, to push the basket in far enough to disengage.
Did you get my PM from earlier today?

Old 08-04-2019, 11:34 PM   #13

I put the bike back together since I needed it out of the garage for a couple of days.
Did as suggested, used a wrench rather than impact gun to put the nut on for the clutch. Put everything else back on the same as it was before.
Now it won't disengage at all!

Old 08-05-2019, 08:27 AM   #14

Are you getting any actuator arm movement up when you pull on the clutch lever at all? Did you adjust the actuator plate screw correctly, under the smaller engine cover?

Old 08-15-2019, 10:26 AM   #15

Yeah... these frustrations you're having is pretty much par for course if you don't get one that is working.

The reason I recommend the Grom clones and not the SSR Razkull clones is you bypass a lot of the chinese suppliers by being able to use the Grom Plastics and parts.

On that same note... there's no dealership for these Chinese bikes. Some are good, others not so much. Some have said that Taotao Hellcat is better quality, but it honestly seems like the Boom and the Icebear are a step up. The Taotao came out last. Feel like the Boom and Icebear had a lot more time getting things down pat.

For your issues... Honestly... you may want to consider just getting a new 125cc pit bike engine. People swap the 190cc in and will sell their 125cc for a couple hundred. Or, if you have the budget for it, just throw the 190cc in and call it a day. That way you don't have to worry and mess with anything.