Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2019, 11:25 AM   #1

taotao hellcat idle

So i purchased a taotao hellcat and i replaced the carb with another pz25 that wasn't tamper proof because of a float issue. Ive tried adjusting both screws on the carburetor and had slight idle change. idle is stuck somewhere between 5500 and 6000rpm's. i also checked the throttle slide and it wasn't installed upside down. at this point I'm really not sure what is causing the issue other then maybe its jetted different. But any advice would be great.

Old 08-06-2019, 11:28 AM   #2

sounds stupid but, is the slide facing the correct way? I.E. the rounded notch facing the inlet of the carb and not the engine. if thats switched around, it will make a big difference. you should only have a very small gap at the bottom of the slide, anything big will throw the idle off...

Old 08-06-2019, 11:39 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
sounds stupid but, is the slide facing the correct way? I.E. the rounded notch facing the inlet of the carb and not the engine. if thats switched around, it will make a big difference. you should only have a very small gap at the bottom of the slide, anything big will throw the idle off...
Yes its fitted the correct way.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:03 PM   #4

9 Times out of 10 it is the throttle cable.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoot newb View Post
9 Times out of 10 it is the throttle cable.
It's not that. The throttle slide is at tje bottom.

Old 08-06-2019, 03:49 PM   #6

if the slide is all the way down in the carb body, you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake. is the gasket on the back side of the carb in place? any open nipples for emmissions stuff on the intake? intake to head gasket in place?

Old 08-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogieboy View Post
if the slide is all the way down in the carb body, you have a vacuum leak somewhere in the intake. is the gasket on the back side of the carb in place? any open nipples for emmissions stuff on the intake? intake to head gasket in place?
there is a nipple on the side of the carburetor. tried covering it but it didn't change anything. the original wasn't hooked up to anything. as far as a vacuum leak im gonna take some time searching, weather permitting.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:18 PM   #8

While you are tinkering, take some pics for us. Front, back, left, and right. That way we can look at them and see if anything looks out of place.

Old 08-07-2019, 06:27 PM   #9

it has to be the slide not closed like it should be. if it were just a vacuum leak the rpms could be high but not that high. The carb is allowing alot of fuel and air in.
Either the throttle linkage is messed up, or the slide isnt going all the way down.
With the filter or airbox off, look into the carb throat to see the slide...the gap at the bottom should be pretty small.

Old 08-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by benhonda View Post
it has to be the slide not closed like it should be. if it were just a vacuum leak the rpms could be high but not that high. The carb is allowing alot of fuel and air in.
Either the throttle linkage is messed up, or the slide isnt going all the way down.
With the filter or airbox off, look into the carb throat to see the slide...the gap at the bottom should be pretty small.
As I've stated before, the slide is at the bottom. It has a very tiny opening. I'm past looking for the easiest explanation as I've checked for all of that. The only thing i could think of prior to this is that it has way to big of a jet. And as bogieboy pointed out a vacuum leak is something i haven't checked for yet.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:24 PM   #11

To big of a jet isn't going to make it idle high. my vote is a vacuum leak. Nipply on side of carb is an overflow for a stuck float, needs to stay unplugged.
Protaper se x110 bars/grips
1/4 MotionPro throttle
Kepspeed Braced swingarm
Chimera rear hub assy
Grom Intergrated tail light
Superlite Sprockets 17/32
custom made from Japan
Chimera Swing Arm Bolt
RK MXZ Chain #420
All Balls wheel bearings
Motodynamic fender eliminator
Coremoto ss brake lines
Composimo 2.5 lower link
Grom Calipers-w/ebc pads/rotors
Michelin tire 140&120
13x4/13x7 fatties
Grom forks

Last edited by Whisky; 08-08-2019 at 04:29 PM.

Old 08-08-2019, 07:34 PM   #12

did you check the choke to make sure it opens all the way when the choke is off? I don't remember if those carbs have a butterfly choke or a choke circuit, I replaced my carb with a vm20 before I ever rode it. I know you said you checked all the obvious, but i just thought i would throw it out there anyway.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
To big of a jet isn't going to make it idle high. my vote is a vacuum leak. Nipply on side of carb is an overflow for a stuck float, needs to stay unplugged.
Yea i have a feeling you guys are right about the vacuum leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellkitty View Post
did you check the choke to make sure it opens all the way when the choke is off? I don't remember if those carbs have a butterfly choke or a choke circuit, I replaced my carb with a vm20 before I ever rode it. I know you said you checked all the obvious, but i just thought i would throw it out there anyway.
Choke has full range of motion. And yea its a butterfly choke.

Old 08-09-2019, 01:12 PM   #14

You guys hit the nail on the head. It's a vacuum leak between the carb and the intake manifold. I even tried removing the heat shield between them but there's just the slightest gap that's letting air in at the top.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:30 PM   #15

So i decided to buy a mikuni vm22 that came with a intake manifold, bolted it on. changed the jet to a 115 and she is running. Al tho i suspect she might be running a little rich. But im just happy to know that she runs again.