Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #1

Doh! Goodbye.

Just looking to vent.

Welp, this is goodbye. Can't even do basic maintenance without screwing something up. Tried servicing a brand new TaoTao Hellcat 125 I bought last month to learn manual transmission on at 1000 kilometers including replacing the fuel filter and now the thing bogs and dies when throttle is applied. Tried messing with the choke lever, carburetor idle speed, putting back the original fuel filter, tried it both directions, set petcock to 'ON' etc, nothing works. They say that the carburetor is probably clogged but it wasn't showing any signs of bogging until of course I actually tried to service it myself.

Even if it is the carburetor, my zero mechanical knowledge self would probably just mess that up trying to fix it as well so I'm staying away from that. Dealerships won't touch Chinese and I don't want help as it's a pride thing. Also because manual transmission turned out to be too bothersome for me to enjoy, I don't even enjoy riding the thing so I'm not gonna put all this effort in to a bike that I don't even enjoy riding. This is my THIRD day working on this.

Luckily this was just a "cheap" 1600$ practice bike as my main Yamaha Majesty 400 Maxi-scooter I can just take to the dealer to have overpriced service done to it by people who actually know what they're doing. I estimate a 400-600$ service fee coming up soon.....great.

Gonna delete this account after I go complain to the website I bought the bike from and see if I can get a refund. Toodles.

Old 09-18-2019, 08:16 PM   #2

I'm sorry to see that your pride overrides your initiative to learn how to fix something that certainly does not require a degree in Rocket Science to fix.

To me, you have a jetting problem, it isn't the end of the world, it's a matter of listening to what all the people on here are telling you and instructing you on what to do. It doesn't take much to undo a perfectly good running bike with the turn of a screw the wrong way; we've all done it on here, it's how you learn from your mistakes.

Owning a motorcycle is supposed to be rewarding, whether it's riding it, working on it, or both. You can ask anyone who has one, taking care of it and working on it is an intergral part of owning one.

To steal (and edit) a long popular sales pitch from a well-known Japanese manufacturer:
"...You meet the nicest people on a motorcycle..."
Sorry you weren't able to experience that...

Old 09-18-2019, 10:39 PM   #3

Three days? That's all you have in you? I've had my truck for 7 years an I don't think there has been a weekend I haven't worked on it. I had my Hawk for 6 months, again, not a weekend I didn't work on it. I love to tinker. Take step back, take a day off, then mess with it again. When you're frustrated, a lot of times you'll overlook simple shit in the moment. Cool off, try again.

Old 09-19-2019, 02:05 PM   #4

Auden, please post where you live. We are everywhere and may help. If you're not comfortable with free help, you can always pay with a meal or one's favorite beverage.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Tags
filter, fuel, goodbye, hellcat, taotao