Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2019, 10:26 AM   #1

Question Stuck drain bolt. Help? - TaoTao Hellcat 125cc

Welp, first oil change and the piece of crap drain bolt is too damn tight. Already damaged it using vice grips after unsuccessfully unscrewing it using a regular wrench. Tried turning both left and right. My torque wrench didn't have sockets large enough. I might just go ahead siphon the oil out but what happens when I have to change the filter? Why can't manufacturers just use screws instead of stupid bolts. Thankfully this bike was only 1000$ practice bike so if it ends up ruined then it's not a huge money loss but I obviously want to take care of it and I can't just take it to a dealer unlike my Japanese scooter. Plz help...

Last edited by AUDAN2019; 08-11-2019 at 11:05 AM.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Normally, the drain bolt on the horizontal engines is a 17mm metric head size, maybe you can try a 16mm 6-point socket tapped on with a hammer, just to remove it, and then dress up the 6 sides of the bolt until you can get another one.
It would be right-hand threads, BTW...

Old 08-12-2019, 09:16 PM   #3

You’ll need a stripped bolt socket. They work well. Notice it’s not a cheap noname brand cause if these fail it’s bad.
https://www.amazon.com/Irwin-Tools-5...gateway&sr=8-5

Tap it hard over the bad head so it takes a bite. Might have to gently lay the bike over to gain better axis. Times like this you’ll go from bad to worse if you rush or don’t make a calculated approach so work smart. Murphy’s law has a sense of humor I don’t like.

Don’t toss the bolt so fast, use it to match up a replacement on length. Napa has a lot. Good luck.
2018 Hawk P&P Decked .040 off the head. 17/43 D.I.D. 428, NGK Iridium plug, DeCat, Wrapped pipe, Custom S.S. Muffler core, Nibbi PE30 115/35, L.E.D. Lights, Digital Cluster, USB port, Cutting Bord skid plate, Oil cooler w/ custom CRF oil filter inline, 5Wt fork oil, Rear Shock, CNC Back Rack, 30mm FAT bars, Bark Busters, ProGrips, Adjustable levers, Shinko 700’s lots of Loctite!

Old 08-13-2019, 05:32 PM   #4

Could you post a picture of what your working with?

Have you tired using a six point socket?

Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM   #5

You can try welding a nut to the bolt head and removing it that way ,and I have used a pipe wrench dozens of times on badly mangled crap customers have brought me ,but your first tool should always be a six point wrench or socket so it doesn’t make a mess in the first place .

Tags
bolt, change, drain, oil, stuck