Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Street
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2021, 03:47 AM   #1

Zongshen ZS250GS Sport (2007) Workshop Manual

Hi all, I'm a new member to this site so bear with me as I learn the ropes! As an avid motorcycle tinkerer I always like to have a two-wheeled project on the go. Just recently I picked up a 2007 zongshen zs250gs sport for next to nothing, and aim to bring it back onto the road. However, as you can imagine for the price I paid for the bike there are some mechanical issues, and more importantly a couple of pieces that need replacing. In an effort to streamline the mechanical process I thought I'd ask if anyone here has access to a workshop manual or even a service manual that they could shoot my way. I've tried for hours to track one down online but the closest I got was for a zs200gs and it was in Russian anyway haha. So that's where I'm at, if anyone could come to my rescue I would be extremely grateful!

Old 02-13-2021, 05:38 AM   #2

Welcome! If you post some detailed pictures of the engine, as well as the parts you're looking for, we'll be able to better help you.

Old 02-13-2021, 02:28 PM   #3

I don't believe that the 250 was Yamaha-based, if my memory is correct, it was only the 200. That's why I asked for pictures first, we don't want to jump the gun and send someone down a rabbit hole.

Old 02-13-2021, 09:51 PM   #4

Thanks for the quick reply franque! I tried to attach some pics to this post but however much I tried I could not get the file size to the required 195.3kb for jpeg nor the 19.5kb for PDF . In terms of replacing the major parts (carburetor etc.) I shouldn't have much of a problem, it's more stuff that requires knowledge of specific measurement and intricate details, such as some stuff in the transmission and of course wiring. That's why I'm keen on getting my hands on a workshop/service manual. It's also a about time management for me, as it would be quite time-consuming if I have to access this forum for every possible question I may have (even though I'm sure they would be answered!). Thanks again.

Edit: I found a youtube link which I think shows the exact bike I have, hope this helps!

Last edited by ZS Mechanical; 02-13-2021 at 09:55 PM. Reason: New Information

Old 02-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #5

Those bikes came and went fairly quickly here on Chinariders. A blast from the past, thanks for the memories, lol. The problem with them, and why they were a blast from the past, from what I recall is they had a vague fatal flaw. The problem was, this site was barely a year old, and none of the bikes were sorted out, and if a bike was known to have 'issues' it went away. The last member I recall with the bike was someone from L.A. (they were CARB legal) who bought it for a low price. I don't recall the issue, but he stopped posting meaning he probably got rid of the few hundred dollar bike.

I am writing this not to discourage you, but because these bikes were a relative flash in the pan even for a group like this, so information will be hard to come by. I have no idea how to use it, but many members have used Taobao to search for obscure parts. CSC is not a subsidiary of Zongshen, but they do sell a few of Zongshen's rebadged bikes, so perhaps could help you with their direct connections to Zongshen. Joe Berk used to work for CSC and retired, but he had personal contacts with Zongshen as he used to go to the factory quite a lot; he has an online presence and wrote a book about riding the Zongshen/CSC RX3 on a long ride, so you should be able to track him down. 'Exhaust Notes' is a blog he contributes to, so see if you can track him down.

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 02-14-2021, 01:32 PM   #6

I believe that that is a similar motor to the XT250/TTR250 Yamaha motor, you might be able to get away with swapping Yamaha parts or even a whole motor! I'd see if you can find a pdf shop manual for them, and see what seems similar in terms of component layout, etc. I'd get a couple of pictures of the cylinder head, and then put them on an online photo hosting site and then link us the pictures. Hope that helps!

Old 02-14-2021, 02:07 PM   #7

Looks to be a manual of some type here on Amazon;

https://www.amazon.com/Zongshen-Main...ustomerReviews

Search eBay for parts.
2016 Tao Tao 125D

Old 02-15-2021, 01:56 PM   #8

You may find an engine designation(model) down near the shift lever shaft. Most China bikes have a flat spot where the designation is engraved from the factory. Dunno if it was common, but I have seen it on machines dating back to 2012 at least.
Using that you may be able to figure out a sister/brother/cousin of the engine that comes close to what you have.
ZS1xxFMM would be a zongshen with a bore of xx mm, a CG clone. Changing the FMM to something else would make it a CB clone(OHC) as a semi-example.
Add to the last letters if you have a balance shaft equipped version.
tom

Old 02-15-2021, 04:20 PM   #9

Not exactly. FMM means that is an air-cooled, vertical, '250'cc class motor. The 1 is for single cylinder, and the 2nd number, like 63 or 56, is bore. Zongshen made several 167FML motors, a pushrod CG clone, an OHC CB clone, and an OHC Yamaha clone, just as an example.

There isn't anything denoting if it's pushrod or OHC, just pictures. Valve actuation never figured into their coding of the engine name. To add confusion to that, early on (I've got an '05 that corresponds to this), sometimes the name didn't actually reflect what was actually in the engine, i.e. I have one labeled 167FML that has a 63.5mm bore. Earlier Chinese stuff isn't too consistent.

I'm pretty sure that they've used this system since Chinese motorcycles were imported en masse to the US.

Old 02-16-2021, 08:30 AM   #10

Well, that explains it all... ... ... chuckle.

Just thought there may be some information on the left case. Apparently it is less than one might want.
tom

Tags
workshop manual, zongshen, zs250gs