Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 10:49 PM   #1

Drain Plug thoughts

Yeah, so what. I'm weird about stuff. Anybody got a link to a magnetic oil drain plug?
Or a reason NOT to use one?
I mean, yeah it's got the filter screen but that screen doesn't filter anything but mistakes and o-ring particles. I don't see why it would hurt to add a magnet to the oil drain plug, but minds smarter than mine might have a reason.
I haven't found a single particle in the screen yet in the oil changes performed.
Down the road, I am researching adding an oil cooler as I could really see that helping this engine out for idling and hot ambient temps.
So start with the drain plug magnet, possibly then upgrade to oil cooler. Would be nice to add an inline oil filter but as far as I can tell might as well add the cooler at the same time.
As always, thanks in advance for input and thoughts.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:31 AM   #2

pretty sure the TBR7 has one (i was surprised).... no reason not to use one.

all about the Tao MotorsTBR7
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=25553

Old 06-08-2020, 08:01 AM   #3

I just drilled a hole in the top of my drain plug and epoxied in a small magnet. Because the drain plug is steel, and the surrounding metal is aluminum, even if the epoxy fails (so far so good with over 5,000 miles on it), the magnet has no other ferrous metal to latch onto near the plug. I posted about the job a while back when I was still living in Georgia. I'll see if I can dig it up and link to it.

I was struggling to get my wife's attention; I sat down on the couch and looked comfortable. That did the trick!

My wife says I only have two faults. I don't listen and something else...

If at first you don't succeed, try doing it the way I told you to...

The Stable:
2005 Yamaha V-Star 650 - SOLD
2015 Suzuki DR 650
2015 RPS Hawk 250 - SOLD
2016 Ural Gear Up

Old 06-08-2020, 08:25 AM   #4

Not sure which engine you have but the CG engines have a centrifugal filter inside the clutch cover. The screen just stops big stuff from getting picked up by the oil pump.

Glueing a magnet to the oil plug is fine or you can buy a magnetic oil plug for a pit bike on Ebay for a couple bucks. The horizontal and CG clone engines use the same size plug.

Old 06-08-2020, 10:59 AM   #5

Yep, the screen is just there to protect the oil pump from larger metal shavings and bits in the oil. The actual filtration on these engines, and even most of Honda's small engines like the Grom, is a centrifugal oil filter. It spins the oil at a high rate of speed that separates out particulate. It's actually quite effective.

The Honda service interval on the Grom for this system is 7000 miles.

Does a magnet hurt? No, not at all. You know what helps the most? regular oil changes.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124