Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2019, 09:23 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Don't worry, Frank will break her in for you. How that song goes again? Oh yeah "Take Me to the River. Throw me in the Water"

Enjoy the day with you son. That's what really matters.
take me to the river.....

Yes enjoy your son, when they could older they leave the nest. What is the son going to ride....?????
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 10-18-2019, 09:26 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
See, ya just needed a match book cover..
When the china syndrome ascends at your place, have some matchbooks printed with valve adjustment specs ok?
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 10-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #48

Now we are talking about valves. I just got this tool for valve adjustment. Something like these could make the new hawk valve adjusment, uber easy
Name:  3F95A439-62D7-4B26-BB1A-A717FEC91225.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  19.7 KB

Name:  44E4C7A8-FBC1-4B96-A9C3-BBEB430E6A5D.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  19.8 KB

Old 10-18-2019, 02:59 PM   #49

Thanks wilddog for the info....

Partszilla has one, but is a kit....73.00

https://www.partzilla.com/product/af...S-STUB-TOOL-55

rockmtn atv 52.00

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...t-wrench-set-p

ebay 29.00

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PC-VALVE-...YAAOSwTmJaoUqJ

Old 10-18-2019, 03:12 PM   #50

The funny thing about those adjuster tools? I find it faster and easier to do it with a small adjustable wrench and a box end 10mm wrench. It might just be down to familiarity since that is how I have done it for years and years, but it just seems like a special tool that takes up room and can be fiddly to work with for a simple task.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 10-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #51

I made one from a deck screw and a wire nut. Works great. Someone on here posted a picture and I copied it. I cant take credit for the idea.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:47 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armycopter View Post
I made one from a deck screw and a wire nut. Works great. Someone on here posted a picture and I copied it. I cant take credit for the idea.
That was Weldandgrind that posted it and I reposted it. Great idea he had.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 10-18-2019, 04:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
The funny thing about those adjuster tools? I find it faster and easier to do it with a small adjustable wrench and a box end 10mm wrench. It might just be down to familiarity since that is how I have done it for years and years, but it just seems like a special tool that takes up room and can be fiddly to work with for a simple task.
I didnt even know there was a tool.
seems like too much overkill...but at least i can study on something new....heck may come in handy one day...

Old 10-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #54

Quote:
I have a tool fetish and you are right. (then I cant find the tool) and So is jerry and weldandgrind, I forgot about those posts.

When I did the valve adjustment on the 650v twin arcticrap, took me 2 hours of analness, and then had my adopted son recheck me. But it is spot on and runs like a dream machine. I will change the name from crap to cat.

Last edited by wedooit; 10-18-2019 at 04:25 PM. Reason: crap to cat

Old 10-18-2019, 04:41 PM   #55

I agree with Mega, most valve adjustments are done in restricted spaces unless you take the tank off or the motor is setting on the work bench. I can just use a 10mm wrench and by the 3rd attempt (without holding the center) I can have it to the proper drag. But I been doing this for almost 40 years, it's kinda in my blood.
2011 Honda Foreman 500ES 4x4
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Old 10-18-2019, 06:10 PM   #56

Quote:
It can be quite easy, but there is something to "special" tools that to me is just nice to have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
I agree with Mega, most valve adjustments are done in restricted spaces unless you take the tank off or the motor is setting on the work bench. I can just use a 10mm wrench and by the 3rd attempt (without holding the center) I can have it to the proper drag. But I been doing this for almost 40 years, it's kinda in my blood.
That's how i did it the first and second time to these motorcycle just a wrench and i took me the same amount of time. But just like wedooit i have a tool fetish that was born thanks to Toyota.
My Yota has the same IFS that yours, once i was trying to take the pitman arm using a generic puller and it was a nightmare, i had to hunt for a "Factory service tool" once i got it, taking the pitman was a breeze. Since that day i became obsessed with factory service tools or their third party equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedooit View Post
I have a tool fetish and you are right. (then I cant find the tool)
Indeed sometimes is just nice to take a look at them

Old 10-18-2019, 09:37 PM   #57

Had a great time today, hawk'S first few miles. A few problems occurred.
First off, I didn't tighten the left side tensioner enough after I put on the 17 tooth. Because it was gone when I returned from its first lil 5-6 mile round trip. =(
Second is the odometer isn't doing anything at all. Speedo works, but odometer hasn't budge'd .
But still managed to put 40-50 on'r , am guess'n?
Ended up at a buddy's, buckeyekyle, I believe is his name on the forums. (Knew he had just ordered a new swingarm for his hawk, so hoped it came with new tensioner plates n such). But no such luck.
Still ripped around a couple of laps on his lil 10 acre lot that's riddled with trails, had a blast. Few baby jumps in such. Lots of 180° cut backs. One of which I came in a lil hot, (mind ya'll, about 45 minutes worth of this) and I'm no kinda dirt bike rider.
But ended up laying'r down. Super gentle style. Just a 180° that washed out a bit. hit the back brake a lil too hard, which I didn't know I could do, (cause I'm pretty sure has got some air in it, almost non-existent. Very lil braking to be had.) Pulled'r back up took off.
Next corner I went into, Tried to hit rear brake and nothing was there. Stopped, looked down, pedal was bent up and almost touching the engine.. No problem right, hoble'd it to his house. Tried to straighten it out and snapped the dam foot peg portion of it off.
Now Frank gets to show off his welding skills. Going to grind\cut off a inch or so, to make it easier to work the dam, while standing. Sure feels like the brake, and clutch are too far from the footpegs to operate easily while standing on them.

Last edited by McFailbutter; 10-18-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Old 10-18-2019, 11:27 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFailbutter View Post
Had a great time today, hawk'S first few miles. A few problems occurred.
First off, I didn't tighten the left side tensioner enough after I put on the 17 tooth. Because it was gone when I returned from its first lil 5-6 mile round trip. =(
Second is the odometer isn't doing anything at all. Speedo works, but odometer hasn't budge'd .
But still managed to put 40-50 on'r , am guess'n?
Ended up at a buddy's, buckeyekyle, I believe is his name on the forums. (Knew he had just ordered a new swingarm for his hawk, so hoped it came with new tensioner plates n such). But no such luck.
Still ripped around a couple of laps on his lil 10 acre lot that's riddled with trails, had a blast. Few baby jumps in such. Lots of 180° cut backs. One of which I came in a lil hot, (mind ya'll, about 45 minutes worth of this) and I'm no kinda dirt bike rider.
But ended up laying'r down. Super gentle style. Just a 180° that washed out a bit. hit the back brake a lil too hard, which I didn't know I could do, (cause I'm pretty sure has got some air in it, almost non-existent. Very lil braking to be had.) Pulled'r back up took off.
Next corner I went into, Tried to hit rear brake and nothing was there. Stopped, looked down, pedal was bent up and almost touching the engine.. No problem right, hoble'd it to his house. Tried to straighten it out and snapped the dam foot peg portion of it off.
Now Frank gets to show off his welding skills. Going to grind\cut off a inch or so, to make it easier to work the dam, while standing. Sure feels like the brake, and clutch are too far from the footpegs to operate easily while standing on them.
Adjusters: https://store.cscmotorcycles.com/TT2...p/zt26-107.htm

They are black, so if you care about matching order 2, otherwise, they are sold each.

As far as the rear brake, it may have air in it, but more than likely you need to adjust the pedal free play and/or the rod clevis to take up the slack. Easiest way to test it would be to get the rear wheel in the air, spin said wheel, and press brake. Adjust as needed. The rear brake on the Hawks is almost as powerful as the front.

Funny enough, most of us find the shifter and rear brake pedals too damn close or too high to operate easily while standing. Must be a giant foot issue lol.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:19 AM   #59

I wear 11 -1\2's so maybe not fee fy fo fum feet, but not dainty princess paws either.

Old 10-19-2019, 01:28 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFailbutter View Post
I wear 11 -1\2's so maybe not fee fy fo fum feet, but not dainty princess paws either.
When you wear 14 EEEE sized boots that are akin to snow shoes, everything seems small with most bikes lol.