Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2018, 10:01 PM   #1

New BMS CRP250s Here - Starting Setup

Well, the two BMS CRP250 enduros we ordered got here yesterday. We decided to do them one at a time, so we got right to work on uncrating the first one. It made the trip just fine -- no damage, no scuffs. Here's how it looked in the crate after the outer cardboard came off.

Unfortunately, the weather in northern Minnesota is NOT cooperating! Yesterday it was 16 degrees, and snowing. Our garage is not heated, so we had only one reasonable option -- put it together in the living room. We put the front wheel and the handlebars on temporarily so we could wheel it into the house.

Then, we started taking everything apart so we could put loc-tite on all of the bolts. So far, we are very happy with the quality of construction and components -- nicer than we were expecting.

We hope to finish this one up tomorrow, and then do it all again on the second one. It's still snowing, and supposed to get to -8 degrees, (below zero!), tonight so the second one will be built in the house also.

I'll post again tomorrow, and let you know how it goes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg InTheCrate.jpg (59.3 KB, 1366 views)
File Type: jpg InTheLR2.jpg (92.4 KB, 1297 views)
File Type: jpg BareEngine.jpg (79.4 KB, 1216 views)

Old 11-11-2018, 10:18 AM   #2

Super sweet! My wife would have a fit if I tried that. (And I have.)

good looking bike.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #3

Get rid of the air injection system (AIS) your bike will thank you. It causes a lot of after firing and popping through the exhaust. Barnone has a few posts on the subject. It's worth a search.

Old 11-11-2018, 12:31 PM   #4

The BMS bike should be at the least, the same quality and have the same specs as a Bashan bike--higher quality/specs depending on how BMS contracted with Bashan who is the OEM (a VERY good thing if you have read up on Bashan the past 4 or 5 years here on Chinariders). On a side note, a retailer here in So. Cal. claims they will be CARB approved for California in early '19, although not sure how BMS can get it through CARB considering on the US EPA site, the bike is certified as a Bashan bike on the list of models EPA/DOT approved (i.e. Storm 250, Brozz 250, DB-41h, Shark 250, and a few other models that are not necessarily marketed here as that is what manufacturers do--throw on a list of bikes in case they sell them here).

I guess the question is, although it is marketed and branded as a BMS product, what is on the certificate of origin, and the manufacturer plate(s) on the bike? Are they street geared like the Bashan bikes (17 tooth front/44 tooth rear--at least please count the rear since you will have to remove the cover to count the countersprocket)?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-11-2018, 06:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by culcune View Post
The BMS bike should be at the least, the same quality and have the same specs as a Bashan bike--higher quality/specs depending on how BMS contracted with Bashan who is the OEM (a VERY good thing if you have read up on Bashan the past 4 or 5 years here on Chinariders). On a side note, a retailer here in So. Cal. claims they will be CARB approved for California in early '19, although not sure how BMS can get it through CARB considering on the US EPA site, the bike is certified as a Bashan bike on the list of models EPA/DOT approved (i.e. Storm 250, Brozz 250, DB-41h, Shark 250, and a few other models that are not necessarily marketed here as that is what manufacturers do--throw on a list of bikes in case they sell them here).

I guess the question is, although it is marketed and branded as a BMS product, what is on the certificate of origin, and the manufacturer plate(s) on the bike? Are they street geared like the Bashan bikes (17 tooth front/44 tooth rear--at least please count the rear since you will have to remove the cover to count the countersprocket)?
The certificate of origin and the manufacturer's plates both say Bashan, which is what we expected from our research before purchasing. Yes, we're happy to have Bashans! I counted the rear sprocket -- it has 46 teeth. We're very pleased with the quality we're seeing, and both bikes arrived with no damage.

Old 11-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2go View Post
Get rid of the air injection system (AIS) your bike will thank you. It causes a lot of after firing and popping through the exhaust. Barnone has a few posts on the subject. It's worth a search.
Good to know -- thanks!

Old 11-11-2018, 09:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
Super sweet! My wife would have a fit if I tried that. (And I have.)

good looking bike.
Here's how that went: We bought two of them -- the red one is mine, and we got a blue one for my husband. It's been so cold here, with temps in the single digits, that we knew working in the garage would be miserable. Bringing them into the house to build was actually MY idea, not my husband's, although he did break into a huge smile when I suggested it!

Mine is nearly done, so it got moved to the dining room. We brought his blue one into the living room this afternoon. I have to say -- it makes for very nice working conditions.

Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 PM   #8

What we like, what we don't like

We've got the first bike almost completely finished, and are starting on the second bike. Here's a list of likes/don't likes. I'll start with list of stuff we're not too happy with since it's a short list.

Don't Like
    1. The handgrips of pretty nasty. We're shopping Amazon for some that are nicer.
    2. The horn on the red bike doesn't work. We should know about the horn on the blue bike in a day or two.
    3. The switch gear all seems kind of cheap.

Do Like
  1. We're pleased that the BMS comes with 21" front and 18"rear wheels.
  2. We like the black wheels - looks really nice!
  3. We like the tires - they seem like a nice compromise for on and off road riding.
  4. We really like the forks! They are nicely machined, and seem like very nice quality.
  5. Like the luggage racks.
  6. Really like the dual piston caliper on the front disc brake.
  7. The seat material is very nice, and the logo is embroidered stitchery.
  8. Really like the overall lack of chrome.
  9. We are really impressed by the quality of the build. It seems there was nice attention to detail and quality workmanship. Much better than we were expecting.

We'll keep you posted about our progress. Here's some pics of good stuff.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-12-2018, 02:54 AM   #9

It ius very much like the TT250 with the heavy duty front hub etc.
I think if you can get the spares guy would buy the rack of the back.

these are not sold in China and Bashan is not far from me( Chengdu) lol but they don't sell locally (I have seen a couple from wholesalers that have an odd bike to clear etc, was a street bike EFI $400)

Old 11-12-2018, 07:21 AM   #10

You are super cool! My wife hates motorcycle with almost as much passion as I love em.

The brakes look great on that. That is a knock on the hawk to me. Back brake is adequate but the front is not very good.

Old 11-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundhouse View Post
The brakes look great on that. That is a knock on the hawk to me. Back brake is adequate but the front is not very good.
I thought the brakes on the Hawk were bad until I cleaned them with brake cleaner. There is a protective oily film on them out of the crate. Clean them and you will find they will be much better.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-12-2018, 07:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRider View Post
Here's how that went: We bought two of them -- the red one is mine, and we got a blue one for my husband. It's been so cold here, with temps in the single digits, that we knew working in the garage would be miserable. Bringing them into the house to build was actually MY idea, not my husband's, although he did break into a huge smile when I suggested it!

Mine is nearly done, so it got moved to the dining room. We brought his blue one into the living room this afternoon. I have to say -- it makes for very nice working conditions.
Well that explains everything. My wife would of gone ballistic if I brought my Hawk in the house and put it on the nice clean rug.

Nice pair of bikes Hope you two have some decent weather so you all can ride.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-12-2018, 10:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthRider View Post
The certificate of origin and the manufacturer's plates both say Bashan, which is what we expected from our research before purchasing. Yes, we're happy to have Bashans! I counted the rear sprocket -- it has 46 teeth. We're very pleased with the quality we're seeing, and both bikes arrived with no damage.
Thank you for confirming the MSO/plate and the sprocket--I keep mistaking the old Lifan GY5 which had 44 teeth, stock (I think?? Getting older and it was around 10 or more years ago, LOL) and the Bashans. Either way, the 21/18 setup is good to know, although the Brozz could have had the same thing; I had corresponded with the Bashan rep over the past few years. I was trying to convince him to let my friend's company sell the Brozz and Shark on consignment, but Peace Sports eventually won out (my guess is they paid for them, lol). Anyway, the rep asked me what kind of things people here on Chinariders would have liked to see in the Brozz after a successful 2016 run. I said make sure there is a rack and 21/18. After a year gap, and Peace brings them in (without the Shark) what do they do? Rear drum and kept the 19/17 and no rack. They did recently make up for it with rear disc and rack, but either way, BMS spec'd theirs correctly from the get-go. If they can convince the CARB gods to smile on them for California, I will definitely have it on my short list!

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 11-12-2018, 01:37 PM   #14

I am currently waiting for my BMS CRP 250 bought from Don Hopper’s site, shopapmc.com. Price is $1399. Not including shipping.
What sold me on the bike was, it’s a Bashan, 49 state legal, the 21,18 wheels, dual disc brakes, inverted forks, and a low 29” seat height. I’m hoping to teach my son how to ride a motorcycle and was going to buy the DB-41H enforcer but Don talked me into the BMS with the lower seat height.
Hoping to be a nice Father-Son project on the build.
Any specific mods needed for the bike would truly be appreciated.

Last edited by Skibrat; 11-12-2018 at 02:32 PM.

Old 11-12-2018, 02:03 PM   #15

Northrider, when you were building the bikes, you mentioned the level of quality. I was wondering if you needed to add the loctite to the bolts like the Hawk builds require? Also, are you looking at any mods for the BMS?
I’m currently waiting for my delivery from Cali.
I’m also dealing with the cold down here in Chicagoland and will see if my wife will allow me to build it in the living room. Lol. Just hoping to get it done before I need to winterize it.