Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Rear Shock Options

So I'm currently looking at new shock fir the Hawk. Currently looking at these 2 DNM shocks i seen guy on here use the 1200lb 295mm at 80 bucks said was way better over stock requires some washers between bushings and he had it filled with nitrogen. And there is another DNM MK AR 1000lb same dimensions little more pricey at $118 that might be little better. Also seen the keoghs that is recommended on the hawk website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190622-204817_eBay.jpg (71.8 KB, 1359 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190622-204748_eBay.jpg (88.1 KB, 1441 views)

Hawk250RedRyder2018
FlyRacing/D.I.D./ProTaper/JTSprockets/Nibbi30/DPR9EIX/PNP/KendaWashougal2/Acerbis/AlpinestarsTech5/HJC/.........TheRideContinues........RockyMountainHigh ..........LIFE ELEVATED!!!!

Old 07-21-2019, 02:27 AM   #2

I have seen alot of posts with riders installing this shock.
Seems that everyone of the day it is a night and day difference. I am actually thinking of installing this exact same shock but I would much rather order from Amazon. There are tons of them listed there as well and the same price.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:04 AM   #3

I have the Keoghs adjustable shock found here. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...3-76cdf671bc30

It is listed as 320mm on the options list, but is in fact 325mm. The extra 5mm in length will result in about a 1/2" higher ride height than stock with the suspension at full droop, and the total stroke of the shock gives the rear about 7 inches of total travel, which is just a bit more than the stock shock. The spring rate for these shocks is 1200lb/in, which is perfect if you are a bigger guy (200+lbs). I have yet to bottom out my rear shock and I get full travel from it.

If you are a lighter guy (sub 200) then the 1000lb spring rate will likely be more ideal for you.

Just be aware that any small change in length will translate to roughly a 2.54 times change in height - Courtesy of OneLeggedRiders figures and results from a 30mm(1.18inch) shorter shock - 290mm - lowering his bike 3 inches. This figure also exactly matches my change in ride height with a 5mm longer shock, which if you do 5 x 2.54 you get 12.7, which is exactly 1/2 inch.

Interestingly enough, this also means you can easily calculate a ride height change from the difference in length in mm to ride height in inches thanks to the conversion for a mm to an inch being 25.4, and the ratio of length to right height being 2.54. Literally slide the decimal of the length difference to the left 1 point and change mm to inch.

Example: a 30mm shorter shock = 3.0 inch decrease in height. Or a 5mm longer shock = 0.5inch increase in height

If you are curious about how that works we can run through the math. Take 30mm times 2.54 to calculate the change in height, which is 76.2mm. Divide 76.2 by 25.4 to convert to inches and you get 3.

Obviously this isn't an exact thing since the arc of travel of the swing arm will alter the ratio some, but for the range of motion we are dealing with, it is more than sufficient.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 07-21-2019, 09:31 AM   #4

Dan you broke it down wonderfully and thoroughly as always, but I would make it even simpler for the average Joes/window lickers.

1 centimeter on the shock = 1 inch of height change on the rear.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 AM   #5

Did the Chinese design these bikes around a damn atv shock? Because when I do searches for 320mm shocks, motorcycle shocks dont come up but a ton of atv shocks do.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:13 PM   #6

It’s been my experience the past year that this shock is decent on fire roads but bounces down the highway like a pogo stick. 60 mph or 30 mph it makes no difference and repeatedly rebounds. You can get the back tire off the ground like skipping a rock if you let it keep rebounding. Deaccelerating sharply or standing is the only way I can get mine to quit bouncing. The 1200 295mm is what I have.
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 08-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjmt View Post
Did the Chinese design these bikes around a damn atv shock? Because when I do searches for 320mm shocks, motorcycle shocks dont come up but a ton of atv shocks do.
Probably a 49cc scooter haha!
Bashan Storm: Ebay steel exhaust wrapped, folding shift lever, seat mod, vm26 carb, air pod, dual led scrambler headlamps, windshield mod, led brake/tail light, secondary led brake light (swingarm), Ebay 295mm rear shock, back up CDI (racing unknown), oil cooler, digital gauge cluster,

Old 08-04-2019, 11:25 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
It’s been my experience the past year that this shock is decent on fire roads but bounces down the highway like a pogo stick. 60 mph or 30 mph it makes no difference and repeatedly rebounds. You can get the back tire off the ground like skipping a rock if you let it keep rebounding. Deaccelerating sharply or standing is the only way I can get mine to quit bouncing. The 1200 295mm is what I have.

Your experience is quite different from mine. My shock performs wonderfully on and offroad with my 6'2" 260lb frame. It's not bouncy at all on the highway and I have the rebound damping set 3 clicks from firm. Due to it's reduced travel (the 290mm) I can get it to bottom out offroad but you have to work at it. There's a little bridge down from my house that I jump in 4th gear, and 90% off the time the rear suspension soaks up the landing without bottoming.

Old 08-04-2019, 06:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipToothy View Post
It would be nice to know who made your Ka-boing, Ka-boing shock. The reason I ask is because when I enquired of the various firms selling these things, that they had no model named Ka-boing Ka-boing anywhere in their data base. Maybe you can help me out?...ARH

Old 08-04-2019, 08:06 PM   #10

Razz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Your experience is quite different from mine. My shock performs wonderfully on and offroad with my 6'2" 260lb frame. It's not bouncy at all on the highway and I have the rebound damping set 3 clicks from firm. Due to it's reduced travel (the 290mm) I can get it to bottom out offroad but you have to work at it. There's a little bridge down from my house that I jump in 4th gear, and 90% off the time the rear suspension soaks up the landing without bottoming.
Ditto. Mine does get a bit springy outside of the last 4 clicks, but fully firm is borderline too firm. And 3 back is perfect for bumpy terrain.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 08-04-2019, 10:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Ditto. Mine does get a bit springy outside of the last 4 clicks, but fully firm is borderline too firm. And 3 back is perfect for bumpy terrain.
Seems i got a bad one like chiptoothy Mine is just like a pogo stick on dirt or on road. the spring rate is better than my TBR7 stock shock and sadly my rebound clicker adjuster is worthless.

My shock was also shorter than what i ordered , received a 300mm and i ordered a 310mm.

I got some of my money back when i filled a claim , shock cost $104 and i got back $57.

It seems the quality control is not good and luck plays a big part, kind of like buying a china bike most have great bikes but some have problems.

I still need a rear shock but i will probably get mine from amazon or ebay or wherever i can send it back if i get another dud. I don't know the ratio of good to bad but so far its 50/50 as in oneleggedrider and megadan both got good ones and chiptoothy and myself got bad ones.

Almost forgot , but mine was a Khoegs from ALI and came from china.

Old 08-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsstag View Post
Seems i got a bad one like chiptoothy Mine is just like a pogo stick on dirt or on road. the spring rate is better than my TBR7 stock shock and sadly my rebound clicker adjuster is worthless.

My shock was also shorter than what i ordered , received a 300mm and i ordered a 310mm.

I got some of my money back when i filled a claim , shock cost $104 and i got back $57.

It seems the quality control is not good and luck plays a big part, kind of like buying a china bike most have great bikes but some have problems.

I still need a rear shock but i will probably get mine from amazon or ebay or wherever i can send it back if i get another dud. I don't know the ratio of good to bad but so far its 50/50 as in oneleggedrider and megadan both got good ones and chiptoothy and myself got bad ones.

Almost forgot , but mine was a Khoegs from ALI and came from china.
Did you have the fill the shock with Nitrogen? If so how many lbs?

Old 08-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #13

Now the TBR7 on the other hand.. The stock shock may have adjustable preload but all that thing does is bounce.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:03 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat67 View Post
Did you have the fill the shock with Nitrogen? If so how many lbs?
That might be the missing ingredient. My shock arrived with zero paperwork or info, literally a shock in a padded plastic bag. I asked for advice from others as to which way up it goes in the bike, seller was like zero help with basic questions and zero help with my shock . So made a claim with Ali , who i must say were quick with a response and gave me the option of a full refund if i would send it back to China (i would pay shipping )( maybe so they could sell it to the next poor guy? ). or a partial refund if i kept it. I took the later option as i did not feel like dismantling the bike again and chasing a "we never got your shock scenario "

There is a plug on one end of the shock that could be the nitrogen refill port but i don't have any stuff to even do such a think anyway.

The big problem with my shock is the rebound clicker can just be spun around and around in either direction with maybe 3 clicks total in one full rotation every now and then.

I plan on stripping the shock down and cut it open if necessary to see what's in it and how the rebound clicker is supposed to work , I will post pics of course so people can see on this site.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLeggedRider View Post
Now the TBR7 on the other hand.. The stock shock may have adjustable preload but all that thing does is bounce.
My original shock started out ok but just go worse and worse too. If i pushed the back of the bike down really hard the back wheel would bounce off the floor when it rebounded .

Just so you know eye to eye stock is 12 inches (on my bike ) or 304mm. If Jay decides to upgrade he can raise (310mm-325mm ) or lower the bike ( 275mm-295mm). Also as megadan and you pointed out the 1200lb spring is good for more aggressive riders or 200lb plus weights and Jay could get away with the lighter 1000lb spring.