Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2021, 08:06 AM   #1

Serviceability of Hawk DLX efi?

I'm thinking about getting a DLX hawk or a Brozz Recon but can't decide on whether efi would be worth it in the long run.

EFI on the hawk sounds really convenient but I'm wondering if it will eventually take away from the China Bike allure which is being cheap and easy to repair. What's the consensus on Chinese efi at the moment? I know motocheez has 3k miles on his without issue.

I would just buy a brozz but I'm really hung up on the 19/17 wheels. I'm 6'3 so the taller the better imo.

Tough decisions

Old 03-22-2021, 09:19 AM   #2

I struggled with the same dilemma back in November before i ultimately went with the Brozz. Some of the things that drove me away from the FI bikes were: I read some posts of fuel tanks leaking, the added complexity of having ECU, fuel pump and more wiring and points of failure.. I wasn't super hung up on the 19/17 wheels as i knew id also be street riding and 19/17 are more stable on road, also, stronger overall than 21/18's.
One thing that i didn't consider at that time which i'd say is a big one looking back is that these bikes are so wimpy stock and beg for whatever added power you can throw at it.. pipe, air filter, head work, timing key, cam, etc can only be done with a carb model as there is yet to be a piggy-back fuel controller or ECU tune to compensate for any performance changes made. Some may say that to chase a few horsepower is fruitless but when you're starting out with 15hp, another 4 or 5 is 25%+ power increase which is huge on any other motor vehicle.
Once you get the carb dialed in its a set it and forget it for the most part, unless you like tinkering and then you can make jetting changes all day long

With that being said, in any other motorcycle, i would not want a carb again.. but in any other motorcycle id consider, they would already have adequate power or have piggy-back fuel controllers or ECU tunes available. If you think you'd be happy with stock power than the FI model should be strongly considered, otherwise its carb hands-down.. plus carb's are super easy to work on and can be worked on out in the woods if necessary with simple carry-on tools.

Hope this helps..
P.S.. heres my Pros/Cons thread when i had the same dilemma:
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?p=348397

Former China Bikes: Tao DBX1, Brozz 250, CSC RX4, Titan DLX, Templar X

Old 03-22-2021, 01:27 PM   #3

Subscribed for good info!

Old 03-22-2021, 02:12 PM   #4

Yeah messing around with a carb doesn't bother me. I have several Chinese atvs and pit bikes for the kids that I have to tinker with. Likewise I'm not too worried about wrenching on more parts associated with efi.

I'm mostly just worried about parts availability and cost to repair the efi and a little about diagnosis.

I guess I just need to decide if the convenience of efi is worth the possible issues. And I may never have any issues with it

Old 03-22-2021, 02:19 PM   #5

If it makes any difference in your choices, although its true the 18/21 are a little weaker, the taller wheels are more stable on and off road.

Sport bikes use 17" wheels on bikes to make them easier to turn on the track (and street) combined with stiff frames and large diameter forks. Technically they are deliberately less stabil. Ride a 10 speed bike down hill at about 45 mph and it will feel super stable, but hard to turn. Jump on your kids mx bicyle and go down the same hill and hit 45 mph and you'll be crapping your pants trying to keep it straight...

I put a 21" on the front of my tbr7 and it it so much more stabil and secure feeling than the 19" its night and day.
Mods so far- Brozz swingarm, 21" front rim (Bridgestone Tw302 rear/Dunlop D606 front tires), Digital gauge cluster, pz30b pumper carb, after market hand guards, aftermarket brake and clutch levers, round fold away mirrors, Fly handlebars shortened slightly, 13t front sprocket
2009 Q-link Legacy 250
1982 Suzuki GS1100ES - "Jolene"

Old 03-22-2021, 02:38 PM   #6

Just buy the reg hawk and be done with it .

Old 03-31-2021, 10:20 AM   #7

Well I ended up ordering a brozz recon. The efi would be nice but I'm afraid it would be expensive/difficult to fix down the rode.