Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > ATVs
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2008, 04:37 PM   #1

Anyone have problems with front hubs?

I have a Taotao ATA250-L http://www.taotao.us/ATA250-L.htm . It has the drum brakes up front. The drum is integrated with the hub. Here is what they look like: http://www.chineseatvpart.com/front-...tv-style/p253/ . The bolt pattern is 4/88. Anyway, it seems that these things are not true. I suspect that the bearing carrier is welded into the drum at a slight angle or slightly off center. I don't know how to measure this. The front wheels/tires seem way out of balance when you get up to or over about 30mph. In fact the wobble is astoundly bad and very rhythmic like you would expect in an "out of balance" situation. However, balance really doesn't seem to be the problem. It did this with the original chinese wheels and tires but I have upgraded to ITP T-9 Pro wheels and Holeshot tires. It is still the same. When I try to balance using an excellent static tire balancer, I can add over 3 oz of weight and still not come close to counterbalancing the "out of whack-ness these things have. I'm pretty sure it's the hubs. Has anyone else experienced this and if so, is there a solution? Maybe similar hubs from a better manufacturer or maybe changing the hubs to a different kind or maybe getting different spindles, hubs, brakes, etc??? I would like this to be fixed to a very high degree of perfection. Overall the quad is pretty respectable given it's price $1000, but these hubs are just lame.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #2

Wobbles.....

OK.... I am not Frick and Frack...... but I can tell you that wobbles typicaly won't come from hubs on these things. If you are worried about this, or convinced, then take them to a machinist and have the turned. That will tell you if they are out of round or somthing.
These were not designed for on road use or presure over 5 lbs in the tires. They should be 4-5 lbs, and off road. There you should not feel a thing.

www.atvwholesaleoutlet.com

Old 08-29-2008, 07:55 PM   #3

Re: Wobbles.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
OK.... I am not Frick and Frack...... but I can tell you that wobbles typicaly won't come from hubs on these things. If you are worried about this, or convinced, then take them to a machinist and have the turned. That will tell you if they are out of round or somthing.
These were not designed for on road use or presure over 5 lbs in the tires. They should be 4-5 lbs, and off road. There you should not feel a thing.

www.atvwholesaleoutlet.com
you're the MAN! 8O

I wish I could put you in my tool pouch!!!

Keep up the good advice,
Tigertamer

CAUTION
Obey The Traffic Regulation.
Always Wear a Helmet.
Don't Ride After Drinking Wine.
Before Operation, Read The Owners Manual Carefully.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 PM   #4

Finaly some nice guy comments?

Finaly you say somthing nice to me? No sacrasum? Or did I miss a hint at it, or clever words, and I am too nieave?

I hope you can see me for what I am. I am here to try and help. My company and web site may have somthing to offer backyard mechanics, and people looking for parts and advise for Chinese stuff.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:25 AM   #5

1) The hubs are crap but they weren't the problem. Still there is a good reason that quality vehicles have precision hubs.

2) Being off road with 5 lbs of tire pressure is irrelevant when you are going over 3o mph. Hubs have to be true, wheels need to be at least close to balanced.

3) Turns out the wheels/tires (ITP T-9 Pro wheels and Holeshot HD tires) were actually as unbalanced as they seemed. Balancing them (took a lot of lead) fixed the problem.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #6

Just to add the the thread a little bit, I found with mine, Too much toe in, or out will produce kind of a steady "boing, boing boinG" Jumping action. (About 1 boing every 3 seconds, at 40mph.)

Kind of like the front suspension loads up, with sideload, and then releases itself. Most noticeable of hard-pack or asphalt. I find about 1/8" to 1/4" toe in, unloaded is about right.

Not that I would ever recommend riding or paved roads, at highspeeds on ATV's that are not road licensed, *Especially* Not In Semi-urban Areas, Allways stop for peace officers, etc, etc.

--Vince