Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2006, 12:07 PM   #1

Hensim DB 150 experience

Some info on my Hensim DB-150.
I haven't completed the break in process yet, but here are my comments thus far.

Bike arrived with only minor shipping rash - nothing serious to me (it is a trail bike after all)
Came with owners manual, parts manual, and Certificate of Origin.

No setup manual, but I didn't need one anyway. What needed to be installed after removing from the crate:
- front tire
- left footpeg with sidestand
- right footpeg with rear brake pedal (and return spring)
- rear exhaust bolt
- rear shock lower linkage bolt
- side number plates (removed seat to install)
- front number plate
- front fender
- fork protectors
- handlebars
- clutch perch on handlebars

If I just wanted to slap it together and go it would have been about 1 1/2 - 2 hours (possibly less)... but I wanted to do a little more than that so it took considerably longer.

Major issues / concerns:
- none so far

Minor details:
- very slight warp in front rotor, but it should be fine for what the bike is intended to do for me
- bearings in steering have flat spot feel to them (I was going to tear it apart and confirm if they were bad, but decided to ride it and see if it becomes a problem -- this is just a play bike for me anyway)
- front spokes; a few just needed to be snugged up - wheel was true enough (rear seemed ok out of the box)
- there was no oil on the air filter foam; easy enough to fix
- I pulled and greased the axles; I’ve always done this to my bikes
- checked torque... everything was close enough to spec, a couple were right at the bottom end of the spec scale
- put blue thread lock and lock washers on many of the bolts
- lubed the clutch and throttle cables; throttle cable seemed to need it
- heat shield bolts came loose quickly on exhaust (even with lock washers), I will check frequently and possibly tack weld them in place if needed.
- replaced the oem Champion P-RA7HC spark plug with NGK DR7EA (also bought a DR8EA, will monitor and determine correct heat range as I get more time on the motor)
- changed oil & inspected the little screen oil filter

General comments:
- I wish the exhaust was just a little less throaty/load; quiet is better if I had a choice
- suspension is very basic (but I knew that before I bought it)
- power is pretty solid for a small 4 stroke motor; I'm pleased
- didn’t want to idle very well and had a slight bog – especially when cold; it’s only 45 degrees out so jetting may not be correct… I’m not concerned, that stuff isn’t usually too hard to correct.
- I'm anxious to hit some hills and see if gearing is going to be a problem - I may need a larger rear sprocket.
- I'm not sure if I will be able to get a title in Ohio with the unsigned Certificate of Origin that came with it, but I don't think I'll be riding at the state/national forests so I may not title it anyway (and I think resale market is non-existent on these bikes .)

Overall, I think for the price this bike is a good deal. It's got some area's that could be improved upon if they wanted to compete with the big 4, but then the price would have to jump.

If you're not mechanically inclined then I would suggest finding a reputable dealer to do the prep for you. Otherwise, the communication I've had with Hensim USA and Ray at www.motofanatix.com prior to and after the sale have all been positive to this point.

I'll have more updates later, but realistically probably not anything substantial until spring - not sure how much quality riding I'll be getting in during the winter.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-14-2006, 07:44 PM   #2

here are some pictures: Note that they were out of green so they sent me a red bike and then the green plastic -- so don't be alarmed at the color change.... So now I have a green bike with a red spring -- one of a kind...

Also, I don't have the fork gaurds on -- and that's about all that's left.

'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 AM   #3

I think it looks nice! Hope you´ll enjoy riding it.

Old 11-18-2006, 01:01 PM   #4

I was breaking it in some more today and took it off a small jump (only about 3' or so) to see how it's gonna handle a drop off on the trail and stuff... well if it keeps plugging like it has been so far then I'm gonna be a very happy man. This bike rides as good (if not better) as my '83 XL 80 did 20 years ago and the brakes are definately stronger.

The motor is not a racer, but it's not intended to be.... I'm all giddy that so far I've gotten much much more than I paid for!!! (of course it is still very early - time will tell)

A note to add to minor complaints:
The kick starter sticks out a little farther than I'd like -- wish it could tuck in closer to the bike, but it's still ok.
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 11-18-2006, 03:42 PM   #5

Hmm...brings back memories from June for me. You've said almost everything I have (or would have) said about my bike. That's a good thing...shows the company is consistent at least. Watch for a rattly exhaust after awhile - both my buddy's and mine needed replacing through warranty. I had a leaky fuel petcock too. Otherwise, I'm pleased to hear you're experiencing all the positives I've experienced - especially the value for dollar, man!

Went for a rip on mine today (which is weird for mid-November in Saskatchewan!). Had to increase the idle a little for the cooler temperature and it took awhile to start (been sitting for month) but after fiddling with the choke and idle I got 'er going and went for a 20 minute rip around town. No problems...dare I say the "R"-word? Reliable?

Cheers,
Rian

Old 11-26-2006, 09:59 PM   #6

I'm laughing all the way to the bank so far with this bike... It's just great.

Had it out on some real trails today. Put in over 2 1/2 hours and it never gave me any problems. Climbed every hill, trudged through the thick mud, tackled the big rocks and fallen trees.... I'm so impressed. And some of these trails were tight and tricky -- I tried to go through a section that wasn't quite wide enough... ooops. no harm, didn't wreck or anything, just stopped, and slid the bars through slowly and on I went.

I haven't cleaned off the mud and checked for lost bolts yet -- if any turn up missing I'll let ya know.

These aren't the greatest quality - but here are some pics from my helmet cam (just stills, I didn't take video)... I'm certainly going back to this place -- 400 acres of fun!!! (the pictures make it look flatter than it really is)

'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 12-15-2006, 12:21 PM   #7

I have climbed this hill on my KLR650 many times... Great fun!!!

Old 12-15-2006, 01:10 PM   #8

Doesn't it look much flatter in the pics that it seems in person.

I'll be out there this Saturday (12/16). If you happen to head out there, feel free to flag me down.... I'll be the guy on the little green chinese machine. Later in the day I'm supposed to hook up with a buddy of mine on his utility quad & see what kind of fun we can find out there. :wink:
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 12-15-2006, 11:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John22j
Doesn't it look much flatter in the pics that it seems in person.
It is wicked at the very top. Narrows down to a skinny two track up through the trees and you have to get it just right to get through. I did alot of hillclimb practice on that hill. Next spring I'll be back with the Chna Bike and my XT250.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by panterra_rider
Watch for a rattly exhaust after awhile - both my buddy's and mine needed replacing through warranty.
What ended up being the replacement? I noticed towards the end of my 3 hours pounding this weekend that it started to rattle a bit. Didn't see any loose bolts during a quick onceover and haven't had it running since to really try to diagnose it.

I doubt that I'd mess with warranty stuff because of the hassles of sending parts back... I'll either live with it or just gut the exhaust until I solve the problem.

Also, I noticed what appears to be the paint coming off of the CDI cover. I don't care because it's not like this is a show bike, but figured I'd point it out for anyone interested.... and the chain streched during this ride - popped off at one point after a hard hit on a downed tree, but went on easy and stayed on the rest of the ride. Neither are big deals in my view.

--- I put some very rough video up from my ride if anyone cares to watch (my wife gets dizzy watching them) :roll:
http://media.putfile.com/crow20061216a

http://media.putfile.com/crow20061216b
'02 Kawasaki KX125

Old 12-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #11

I have not been here yet but I will soon!! This is just south of Canton, Ohio off of Exit 99, Fohl Rd.

http://www.bearcreek.us/features.html#trails

Old 12-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #12

John, I don't know if you knew, but the head office for Hensim always has those little Google ads (<--- to the left) on one of these screens. If you needed parts and such...

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 06-04-2007, 10:46 PM   #13

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom
Hey nice bike I want to get one I was thinking a 200cc or more but how fast does that 150cc go I might consider one of those oh and where did you get it and how much was it thanks

Tom

Old 06-05-2007, 12:12 AM   #14

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
My 200 will now do about 60 after the sprocket change. I am running a 15 front and 40 rear on a 16" rear rim.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 06-05-2007, 01:30 PM   #15

I don't know the top speed - I can guarantee it's nowhere near what my KX125 is though.... but it's not supposed to be. I bought it to be a trail bike and it has never left me wanting more -- I'm mostly riding in the woods, and usually do not get above 3rd gear.

I bought mine from www.motofanatix.com and at the time it was $1000 shipped... it doesn't look like they still offer the DB-2 (which is what I have - with the inverted forks) -- but I think there's another Hensim dealer on here that may be able to help you find one.

I'm very pleased with this bike. I had it out last weekend for almost 5 hours of riding through tight woods, deep creeks (had the airbox under a couple of times for brief periods -- was a little scary, but luckily it kept on plugging along), large rocks, long hills.... it was a good ride.

My chain did stretch again - it seems like if I ride more than 3 hours it will pop off after a hard hit... this time it happen to be in the middle of a creek. :roll: -- fortunately the water was only a little above my swingarm so I just popped the chain back on and it was fine for the rest of the day.

Tom, If you are looking for top speed type of riding then you probably want something other than one of these 150's. They are nice trail bikes, with good manageable power, but they are not top speed monsters.
'02 Kawasaki KX125