Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2022, 02:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
Maybe tire pressure is to low also?
If it was my Hawk DLX with 32 lbs max in the tires, John would be over the bikes weight limit! Safety is a concern and knowledge is what makes safety happen. Look at your tires and read the print!!!

Old 06-16-2022, 08:27 PM   #17

Extra weight won't make a huge difference in MPG, at least not enough to be getting 60-70% of the MPG that others are reporting. My guess is that either it is running pig rich (but even then the fuel consumption wouldn't be increased by that much), there is a dragging brake (but again the odds of that not being noticed seem to be pretty small to me), a big fuel leak, or the likeliest, a lack of proper measurement. I would use Megadan's method and reasses the MPG.

There aren't many likely things that would nearly double an engine's fuel consumption besides a large fuel leak or miscalibrated measurements, much of what I listed above would not likely account for that low an MPG.

As for weight limits, those are more for American lawyers than anything else. I've seen things overloaded to the point that they'd make your hair curl, and do that day in, day out. If the clutch isn't slipping (usually the weak point for these in terms of load capacity, all other mechanical functions being ideal), it is most likely fine, if not good, in terms of load capacity; many of the components are capable of withstanding loads much higher than rated capacity, though that's only my opinion, and I assume no liability.

Also, as a last point, the reserve level on these is dictated by how long a tube is cut on the inside of the petcock assembly, so there is a good amount of space for variability in terms of how much reserve you've got.

Old 06-16-2022, 08:49 PM   #18

I used to get 55-60mpg using 17-50 sprocket, now I use it for commuting after I put in a 17-44. So it will be exciting to see if I get any better mileage?

Old 06-16-2022, 11:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Fun View Post
John would be over the bikes weight limit!
Uh, no, he isn't over the bikes weight limit. Rated maximum carrying capacity of a Hawk 250 is 331lbs as stated by the manufacturer.

Last I checked 280lbs is less than 331lbs.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 06-17-2022, 12:49 AM   #20

The stock speedo/ odometer is not right. The best my hawk has ever gotten is about 55 mpg on country roads(40 to 60 mph) 110 main jet open exhaust , ported head, 2.64 gears. I'm 5.9 170lbs
To whoever stole my anti-depressants.
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 06-17-2022, 01:28 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnetattoo View Post
Sounds like I need to figure out whats up and more accurately measure my fuel.....I have to be wrong.

I'm noticing that sometimes the tank capacity is listed as 14L but mostly 12.5L

I was going off the 14L, 3.23 gallon until reserve specs that I found online.

I filled it up using a 5 gallon gas can and not the darn pump. I have no clue what I actually put in.

So, anyone know what the actual capacity and reserve capacity is?
My measument was just over 3 total
Maybe a pint over
I Hope Your Happy !

Old 06-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #22

On the DLX the actual tank size based on filling it is close to 2.6 gal (I haven't dared to run it all the way down). Going off the odometer and what I put in at the pump with a breather pod and the upgraded sprockets I'm getting between 72-86 MPG cruising backroads. For the sake of science and tedium, I'll have another go tracking it with actual GPS, but anecdotally the EFI seems slow and efficient.

Old 06-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #23

update: I ran the bike 50.5 miles via GPS starting with a full tank and ending at the same pump. Used .595 gal. 85MPG is really not bad. The Odometer read 51 miles so its off but not off by a crazy lot.

Old 06-25-2022, 10:51 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnetattoo View Post
I am actually over complicating things. I am using an aftermarket odometer and speedometer that has been calibrated to match my GPS and seems very accurate. I don't take the bike into town to fill up and just bring fuel cans to the station. I guess I'll actually ride the bike into town or measure my fuel more accurately and try again.

Thanks guys,
I was wondering about odometer accuracy, but you obviously covered that. Still you should be getting at least close to 50mpg. I use mile markers to test the odometer, but haven't even checked on the Storm, TBR7 or the new Templar which I haven't figured out how to switch from km mode to mile mode!

Old 06-25-2022, 11:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol,fart View Post
The stock speedo/ odometer is not right. The best my hawk has ever gotten is about 55 mpg on country roads(40 to 60 mph) 110 main jet open exhaust , ported head, 2.64 gears. I'm 5.9 170lbs
Update -Current gears are 40/15 2.66 ratio not 2.64 had to use the reserve today 165 miles according to calibrated speedo
I Hope Your Happy !