Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2020, 07:32 PM   #1

LIFAN Expect Front Sprocket Questions

I am looking to replace the front sprocket on my 2020 Lifan 200 X-Pect. 15T to 17T

Reviewing youtube - there seems to be a huge variation from model to model. Some require you break or split chain - some don't.

How difficult is it to replace the front sprocket? Do you need to break / split the chain?

Thank you. Any words of wisdom / experience appreciated.

Jim H

Last edited by goJimH; 11-16-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #2

No need to break the chain. There are two bolts that hold a retainer. Once the retainer is removed the sprocket and with chain will slide right off. Usually changing the front sprocket doesn't require shortening the chain because there is not much difference in the diameter of the sprocket. Swapping the rear sprocket to a smaller sprocket will require you to shorten the chain.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-17-2020, 08:59 AM   #3

Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
No need to break the chain. There are two bolts that hold a retainer. Once the retainer is removed the sprocket and with chain will slide right off. Usually changing the front sprocket doesn't require shortening the chain because there is not much difference in the diameter of the sprocket. Swapping the rear sprocket to a smaller sprocket will require you to shorten the chain.
Thank you. The one minor issue I had when I received my Lifan as there was no manual. At first I figured there was no manual but reading on this forum - I see there is one. All I received was a warranty card.

Once again - thank you!

Jim H

Old 11-17-2020, 11:14 AM   #4

It really depends on each bike, chain, sprockets, etc. How easily the front sprocket comes off really depends on how loose the chain already is.

You'll probably need to loosen the chain tension to install the 17t sprocket, and you might potentially need to add a link, it just depends on how much slack the chain already has, and how much room you have to slacken it.

I would have to disagree with Jerry on one point, countershaft vs. rear sprocket, adding/subtracting teeth on the sprockets, given the same quantity of teeth being changed, will always lead to the same length chain, or the same amount of change needing to be made, for example, both 11/49 and 17/43 can use the same length chain, if installed on the same bike. If you went -2 on the rear sprocket teeth count, you could certainly use the same chain.

To wit: +2/-2 is the same effective chain length as -2/+2 in terms of front and rear sprockets. You'll get a higher percentage gearing change from changing the countershaft sprocket, since it's smaller, so it would have a more drastic effect.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:29 PM   #5

GoJimH, I would like to do the same with my Lifan x-pect, where did you get the 17 tooth sprocket and do you have the part number. I have checked out some sites for a JT 1264-17 and the parts they show differ in the inside spline configuration.

Last edited by JFOlivier; 11-17-2020 at 06:31 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 11-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #6

Thank you for your insight....

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
It really depends on each bike, chain, sprockets, etc. How easily the front sprocket comes off really depends on how loose the chain already is.

You'll probably need to loosen the chain tension to install the 17t sprocket, and you might potentially need to add a link, it just depends on how much slack the chain already has, and how much room you have to slacken it.

I would have to disagree with Jerry on one point, countershaft vs. rear sprocket, adding/subtracting teeth on the sprockets, given the same quantity of teeth being changed, will always lead to the same length chain, or the same amount of change needing to be made, for example, both 11/49 and 17/43 can use the same length chain, if installed on the same bike. If you went -2 on the rear sprocket teeth count, you could certainly use the same chain.

To wit: +2/-2 is the same effective chain length as -2/+2 in terms of front and rear sprockets. You'll get a higher percentage gearing change from changing the countershaft sprocket, since it's smaller, so it would have a more drastic effect.
Thank you for your insight.

The simple change I will try to make will be just to the front sprocket. The back sprocket will be left alone. It seems to me - going from 15 teeth to 17 teeth will add approximately 13%. I will report back results. It may be this weekend before I can attempt the switch.

Once again - thank you.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:43 AM   #7

I ordered it from Amazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOlivier View Post
GoJimH, I would like to do the same with my Lifan x-pect, where did you get the 17 tooth sprocket and do you have the part number. I have checked out some sites for a JT 1264-17 and the parts they show differ in the inside spline configuration.
JFOliver - I ordered the sprocket from amazon based on post I found here.

http://chinariders.net/showthread.ph...Lifan+sprocket

As I look closer - the sprocket indicated above is JT1264.17

The sprocket I purchased is JTF1264.17 (JTF vs JT)

Only one way to find out.

I will be this weekend before I have a chance to look deeper.

I will post my results.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

JTF1264 is indeed the correct sprocket. Fits with no problems. Best change I made on my xpect(besides adjusting the valves).

Old 11-18-2020, 11:51 AM   #9

Thanks for Vote of Confidence....

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
JTF1264 is indeed the correct sprocket. Fits with no problems. Best change I made on my xpect(besides adjusting the valves).
Landshark - thanks for the confirmation!!!! I have read a lot of your "Lifan" post. Many of them have been very helpful. For example - my Lifan will die at idle sometimes for no apparent reason. You left your settings alone and rode it for 150+ miles and things improved.

I did not receive a manual with my bike. I am not sure how much it would help - but not having one makes this forum even more valuable.

Hopefully I will be able to get a manual soon.

Old 11-18-2020, 01:40 PM   #10

goJimH,
The manual is pretty useless. You will find the info you need on this forum. My xpect has been a ton of fun, I'm sure you will feel the same. 17T sprocket was, too me, a huge improvement.

Old 11-18-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

Lifan Perspective...

Quote:
goJimH,
The manual is pretty useless. You will find the info you need on this forum. My xpect has been a ton of fun, I'm sure you will feel the same. 17T sprocket was, too me, a huge improvement.
Landshark,

Your insight matters. As I do my best to survey the history of the Xpect - you are one of the early adopters. Your mention of "My xpect has been a "ton of fun" is a meaningful and endorsement - and - encouragement.

I tried to search the history of the Xpect today. It seems since Lifan Xpect has be available in the US - the first true owners happened about the 2nd or 3rd Qtr of 2019. That places you among one of the early adopters. Hence your endorsement after some 14 months really matters.

Alas - this is my best understanding at this time. I see a few early adopters but lately it seems that daily I see comments of it being ordered and/or being considered.

At least this is the best I can piece it together.

Perhaps others will chime in and provide a better or more accurate or meaningful history or pedigree.

Once again - thank you!

Old 11-19-2020, 07:38 AM   #12

I think I have commented on the few things I have done to mine in different threads. Valve adjustment is a must. I changed to a heavier fork oil and increased the volume as mine was a little on the low side(I mentioned in another thread the easy way to do this). I had a short in the wiring between the fork and head tube that was blowing fuses. I have adjusted the chain tension a couple of times. I also put different bars on it(not necessary) and of course the 17T sprocket. That is pretty much it. It always starts instantaneously. I just hop on and go.

Oh yea, I also had the vibrating tube in the gas tank that a bent ever so slightly to stop the rattling.

Old 11-20-2020, 09:35 AM   #13

Good History Wrap Up!

Quote:
I think I have commented on the few things I have done to mine in different threads. Valve adjustment is a must. I changed to a heavier fork oil and increased the volume as mine was a little on the low side(I mentioned in another thread the easy way to do this). I had a short in the wiring between the fork and head tube that was blowing fuses. I have adjusted the chain tension a couple of times. I also put different bars on it(not necessary) and of course the 17T sprocket. That is pretty much it. It always starts instantaneously. I just hop on and go.

Oh yea, I also had the vibrating tube in the gas tank that a bent ever so slightly to stop the rattling.
Pretty good for 14 months. I imagine the short was not fun to trace down. However I am pleased for what I don't see. No EFI problems.

Thank you.

Old 11-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #14

Front Sprocket Installed on Xpect

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFOlivier View Post
JFOliver,

I installed the front sprocket today and it fits. A couple of cautions / notes:

1. The back wheel was off the ground during installation. That helped.

2. The bolts that hold the sprocket retainer on are soft and will break easily. (Please don't ask me how I know)....

3. Clearance is tight. When replacing the housing cover on - I had to work with it - and - rotate the back tire a little. Luckily I had read about this somewhere else. At first you think it just wont go - but it did.

In the pics below - I think my angle makes the clearance look worse than it is.

Once again - my thanks to JerryHawk250, Landshark and everyone else who commented here.

STOCK SPROCKET:

NEW SPROCKET

Old 11-21-2020, 01:15 PM   #15

South florida adventure sports

Visit for Everything lifan x-pect, exploring and momo eats

Tags
lifan xpect, sprocket