Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #1

Question New Apollo DB36 250DLX Won't Start

Hi, as the title says, I just got a new apollo db36. I love it, it looks awesome! However, I got everything together - Wheels, Suspension, Handlebars, Brakes - then I get no start. Today I went through changing the oil, I have fuel, I have air, and I have spark. Electronics checkout, I started in Neutral with the clutch pulled, killswitch off, key on, kickstand up. Nothing. Battery almost drained on me and I don't really want to kill the starter on a new bike.

Any suggestions besides the basics, if you can think of it, I've tried it - the only thing I could think was I initially flooded the engine with too much choke, air filters were a tad bit wet - I used carb and choke to see if that would help but nothin. My plan tonight was to let it sit and charge the battery up. Hopefully tomorrow it will start up.

And I tried kickstarting, no cigar.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Last edited by GonorrheaHD; 09-17-2019 at 07:36 PM.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GonorrheaHD View Post
Hi, as the title says, I just got a new apollo db36. I love it, it looks awesome! However, I got everything together - Wheels, Suspension, Handlebars, Brakes - then I get no start. Today I went through changing the oil, I have fuel, I have air, and I have spark. Electronics checkout, I started in Neutral with the clutch pulled, killswitch off, key on, kickstand up. Nothing. Battery almost drained on me and I don't really want to kill the starter on a new bike.

Any suggestions besides the basics, if you can think of it, I've tried it - the only thing I could think was I initially flooded the engine with too much choke, air filters were a tad bit wet - I used carb and choke to see if that would help but nothin. My plan tonight was to let it sit and charge the battery up. Hopefully tomorrow it will start up.

And I tried kickstarting, no cigar.

Any ideas are appreciated!
Welcome here!!!! Congrats on your purchase!! Others will chime in....but is your choke off? Sometimes some of the simplest things get us. I would double check your electrical connections, and if the kickstand has the switch, double check to see if it is working, that switch is troublesome and has given members lots of grief. And the valves need to be adjusted, and or checked.

Sometimes a good Cuban cigar is better. LOL Keep it lite and don't get frustrated ok
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Old 09-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #3

Probably valves if ya got spark and fuel.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:53 PM   #4

Thanks for the replies guys! I really appreciate the ideas! I think I originally flooded it with too much choke, it just wouldn't kick over and yeah the kickstand is up, clutch in. I let it sit over night to dry out and charge up the battery. It is a little frustrating. I'll have to check the valves after I clean out the carb - fuel was real yellow in there - thinking a clogged jet or something inside. Today, I got no fuel but I have spark and air. Drained the carb, Full choke, no fuel delivery. spark plug wasn't wet at all. Tomorrow I'm taking apart the carb to have a look!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:20 PM   #5

Something that will help you, I'm sure, is replacing the fuel lines immediately. The rubber doesn't jive well with some gasoline additives(i.e. ethanol). Mine and a friend's Apollos DB-36 deluxes both had small balls of rubber coming off the inside of the fuel line and going into the carburetor, causing the floats to stick and fuel to pour from the overflow, not to mention the performance problems caused by them. It should be one of the auto-replacement things for anyone that buys a chinese bike in the US. I would do it before I ever even tried to start it if I were to buy another one. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Old 09-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #6

Thanks @Madeaupollo, I will definitely keep that in mind! I noticed a few things I would like to upgrade immediately but for a beginner bike, I'm impressed. I will get it to start tomorrow, I was hearing pops of life before we lost fuel so I have high hopes. Cleared out the carb with air gun and carb n' choke - and got rid of that nasty fuel for 93Octane - wish I spent a little more time before the first start but I was excited . Didn't have time to put everything back together today so I'll keep posting updates.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #7

Based on your laws and such where you are, if you are able, I would say it is worth the time to cut grooves in the pins in the bottom of the carburetor bowl and remove the anti-tamper cap on the fuel screw so you can go up a size on the main jet and set your fuel screw(assuming you have the PZ30 carb). I used a hacksaw blade and held it between my knees, but a dremel would probably work better/faster. I think there's a thread on this somewhere, but it is pretty easy to do.

Old 09-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #8

They are set very lean from the factory. Kind of a preference thing I suppose, but I've always known lean to equal shorter maintenance cycles. =) Also it vibrated too much for me to begin with..made my hands cramp.

Hindsight is 20/20...I did the same thing. The excitement really helps with overlooking things...lol.

Oh, and congrats on your purchase! I think they are great bikes. That said, they require maintenance like everything else.

Old 09-16-2019, 09:11 PM   #9

I'll add this last thing...I can say with almost 100% certainty that these bikes are all test-ran before they are shipped. If it didn't have any mileage on it and the plug was clean when you got it, there would be good reason to concerned about valves(or worse). If you can tell that it was test-ran by mileage or the spark plug color and it isn't running, it is almost guaranteed to be something basic.

I hope you're out ripping in no time. Be safe.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:30 AM   #10

Another member Skirush had a problem with his bike and was a no spark condition. He found that the kick stand was his issue causing the no spark issue. Assuming you do not have spark, check around the kick stand, and sensor to see if something is unplugged or is out of adjustment.

Old 09-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #11

Hey guys! I got it to run!!!!

I think something was stuck in the valve or the valve was stuck but it kept backfiring and backfiring, even caught the air filters on fire! Was fuckin psycho!

I was about to give up when all the sudden it hit. I bet it was a lean condition combined with a cleaned out fuel system just took a long ass time to get started. my poor starter :(

Thank you everyone for all the helpful info, I really appreciate it!

And thanks @Madeaupollo, I can't wait to rip it!! Just have to tension my chain, check the spokes, air the tires, and fill her up!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:20 PM   #12

Nice!...that you got it started, that is. Sounds like quite the event, lol. Sorry about your air filters . hahah.....you should be able to get those covered under warranty, depending on where you got it, I guess.
I had the same problem, Doug...except my kickstand was just down...hahaha.

Glad to hear you got it running though!

Old 09-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #13

Get that fuel line replaced or you'll be wrenching that carb off again, hahahah. I only say this because I wasted a bunch of time on carb clogs with this bike.
I use a 3/16" ID clear Tygon fuel line...could probably use 1/4" too, but stock clamps won't fit.

Best of luck to ya!

Old 09-18-2019, 02:37 AM   #14

Also, don't waste your money on premium gas, it's a low compression, low performance engine. Higher than 85/87 is just extra money being burned.

Old 09-18-2019, 10:18 AM   #15

GLAD YOU GOT IT RUNNING!!!!! send us a pix or to....congrats!!!
A family that works together, plays together, shoots and trains together, and sleds together, stays together. Second amendment! SkiDoo sleds, NOW 2 TTR225, and a BMS250. A couple of quotes (we are not farmers) "I don't get off the farm much" "Am too old school" I call the china bikes "the china syndrome".

Tags
apollo 250, new bike, no start, problems, start