Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-12-2024, 07:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidsnake2431 View Post
I completely understand all the aspects and challenges of pull behind trailers on motorcycles. But the two trailers you guys suggested at both DOUBBLE the weight of the trailer I picked out and also smaller at the same time. The trailer I picked out is only 100 pounds.

Also I really need to figure out a mounting/hitch system. That is what I am looking for help with. Thanks!
You may know about welding but you seem to lack knowledge about heat, friction and the law.

The trailer you are focused on is illegal to put on the road behind a vehicle. It is a utility cart made to be pulled by a lawn tractor, and the bearings will burn out the first ten miles down a road at 40mph. You will be launching wheels and axles into oncoming traffic.

That is the reason for the weight on the trailers being recommended. It is a by product of the road safety requirement which requires DOT approved tires, a safe axle, bearings, wheels, wiring, lights and turn signals.

As for a "hitch setup", that is not all that complicated. You weld an extension to the frame and attach a connecting device. It can be incredibly complicated such as the ones in the EU, or as simple as a pintle hook and loop like the military uses.

I believe that U-Haul might have the small motorcycle hitch balls available. Not sure where to get the trailer side of the small hookup. Otherwise I would check with an Indian, Honda Goldwing or Harley dealer.