Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2017, 04:17 PM   #1

Is Anyone Here A Fan Of 'Hard Engine Break-In' Procedure?

I recently purchased a new Hawk 250 and while researching new engine break-in procedures online, I came across some very interesting info regarding proper engine break-in procedures. The new info that I discovered totally goes against the grain of typical and commonly known break-in procedure recommended for new engines. The info that I have been reading is quite convincing and extremely interesting. But I am still undecided on which procedure to use to break-in my new Hawk 250 engine.

While it seems safe and sensible to do an easy break-in on a new engine, there seems to be some good supporting evidence online that suggest an easy break-in doesnt allow the piston rings to properly seal to the cylinder wall. It is said that a hard engine break-in properly allows the rings to seat to the cylinder wall resulting in a more powerful and reliable engine.

So this makes sense to me so far, but I cannot help but wonder if a hard break-in jeopardizes other engine components or operation. I certainly am hoping that a hard break-in is safe because I do desire a more powerful and reliable engine (if the info is true) , but am still researching the topic for answers. I am so desperate to find answers on this topic that I havent ridden my new Hawk all weekend. I had planned to ride my bike a good amount this weekend but have been too intrigued by this topic to ride it as I need to figure out the best break-in method.

Does anyone have any info, links, or personal experience on these two break-in procedures that may help me decide? I must find this answer to this topic before I can ride my bike again. I have only one chance to properly break-in my engine and am hoping that a hard break-in procedure is the proper way to go because the rewards claimed are very desirable if so. But I cannot decide 100% Any help would be so very appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2017, 06:48 PM   #2

I am a big fan of hard break in..... sid it on my DB07a when i put a new piston in back when i got it, and its been pushing 165psi compression ever since..... no issues either....

Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Yep, covered it in my own bikes thread in detail as to how I do mine.
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 11-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #4

Also, think abiut what high performance engine builders typically do.... build the wngine and then throw it right on a dyno before its ever put in a car or bike, and push it to its LIMITS..... that to me is what made up my mind how to break in new rings....

Old 11-05-2017, 07:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadan View Post
Yep, covered it in my own bikes thread in detail as to how I do mine.
Thanks Megadan, can you please tell me where I may find that thread? Thanks!

Old 11-05-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTwoFifty View Post
Thanks Megadan, can you please tell me where I may find that thread? Thanks!
I actually cant find it there. I know I posted it somewhere...

Anyway, my methodology can be broken down into something simple.

Before cranking that engine hard you want to give the engine at least 2 or 3 full heat cycles. That means idle it or ride it gently for a few short miles and then let it cool fully. After that, chanhe the oil, check valve lash

Next,
I ride it around gently until the motor is up to temp and then take it out for a good 5 or 10 minutes, giving it progressively more throttle, up shifting and downshifting often. Lots of engine braking and accel loading. At this point i never go to redline or go wide open.

Park it, let it cool completely. I changed the oil, but you dont have to if uou dont want to. After it has cooled back down, I take it out again and ride it normal until its up to temp and for 10 to 15 minutes I progressively give it more and more throttle and wind out, finishing with a couple of full throttle high rpm runs through the gears followed by a downshifting decel through each gear, cruise for a minute or two to let the engine temps come down, then repeat the same thing a.couple more times. After that I shut it down, let it cool, change the oil, and check the valve lash.

After all of that I ride it business as usual. They key to a hard break in is to help seat the rings and initiate the
connecting rod to stretch. Doing this early will prevent ridge buildup from causing the main compression ring from loosing its seal on a ridge later when the rod stretches later on in life.

It is important to be methodical, check things often, let the engine cool, and keep an eye on every detail. This is a real hard break in. Just going out and wailing on the motor with no regard is just abuse.

Old 11-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkTwoFifty View Post
I recently purchased a new Hawk 250 and while researching new engine break-in procedures online, I came across some very interesting info regarding proper engine break-in procedures. The new info that I discovered totally goes against the grain of typical and commonly known break-in procedure recommended for new engines. The info that I have been reading is quite convincing and extremely interesting. But I am still undecided on which procedure to use to break-in my new Hawk 250 engine.

While it seems safe and sensible to do an easy break-in on a new engine, there seems to be some good supporting evidence online that suggest an easy break-in doesnt allow the piston rings to properly seal to the cylinder wall. It is said that a hard engine break-in properly allows the rings to seat to the cylinder wall resulting in a more powerful and reliable engine.

So this makes sense to me so far, but I cannot help but wonder if a hard break-in jeopardizes other engine components or operation. I certainly am hoping that a hard break-in is safe because I do desire a more powerful and reliable engine (if the info is true) , but am still researching the topic for answers. I am so desperate to find answers on this topic that I havent ridden my new Hawk all weekend. I had planned to ride my bike a good amount this weekend but have been too intrigued by this topic to ride it as I need to figure out the best break-in method.

Does anyone have any info, links, or personal experience on these two break-in procedures that may help me decide? I must find this answer to this topic before I can ride my bike again. I have only one chance to properly break-in my engine and am hoping that a hard break-in procedure is the proper way to go because the rewards claimed are very desirable if so. But I cannot decide 100% Any help would be so very appreciated. Thanks!!!!!!!
Post a link to the "hard break in " as I'm gonna soon break my cg200 topend in. I've read so many different procedures. I decided to go with Duncan racing's method but would like to hear this one. Thx

Old 11-05-2017, 08:16 PM   #8

Sorry just seen your procedure

Old 11-05-2017, 11:49 PM   #9

corvettes suggest varying the rpms not staying at one rpm for sustained periods
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 11-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #10

I pretty much followed this same procedure except for the numerous oil changes. The main thing is running it through a few heat cycles as Megadan stated.
Quote:
I actually cant find it there. I know I posted it somewhere...

Anyway, my methodology can be broken down into something simple.

Before cranking that engine hard you want to give the engine at least 2 or 3 full heat cycles. That means idle it or ride it gently for a few short miles and then let it cool fully. After that, chanhe the oil, check valve lash

Next,
I ride it around gently until the motor is up to temp and then take it out for a good 5 or 10 minutes, giving it progressively more throttle, up shifting and downshifting often. Lots of engine braking and accel loading. At this point i never go to redline or go wide open.

Park it, let it cool completely. I changed the oil, but you dont have to if uou dont want to. After it has cooled back down, I take it out again and ride it normal until its up to temp and for 10 to 15 minutes I progressively give it more and more throttle and wind out, finishing with a couple of full throttle high rpm runs through the gears followed by a downshifting decel through each gear, cruise for a minute or two to let the engine temps come down, then repeat the same thing a.couple more times. After that I shut it down, let it cool, change the oil, and check the valve lash.

After all of that I ride it business as usual. They key to a hard break in is to help seat the rings and initiate the
connecting rod to stretch. Doing this early will prevent ridge buildup from causing the main compression ring from loosing its seal on a ridge later when the rod stretches later on in life.

It is important to be methodical, check things often, let the engine cool, and keep an eye on every detail. This is a real hard break in. Just going out and wailing on the motor with no regard is just abuse.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-06-2017, 02:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
I pretty much followed this same procedure except for the numerous oil changes. The main thing is running it through a few heat cycles as Megadan stated.
Yeah, and the oil changes don't have to be done as frequently as I did them. I am just...paranoid.

Old 11-06-2017, 10:38 PM   #12

Quote:
Yeah, and the oil changes don't have to be done as frequently as I did them. I am just...paranoid.
I just recycled over 25 gal of oil over the weekend . Between 2 vehicles a motorcycle and a couple o lawnmowers. Lots of oil used in this country if your like me. I change mine every 5k. The mc when it gets black..about 1000 miles or so.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-06-2017, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBike View Post
I just recycled over 25 gal of oil over the weekend . Between 2 vehicles a motorcycle and a couple o lawnmowers. Lots of oil used in this country if your like me. I change mine every 5k. The mc when it gets black..about 1000 miles or so.
Lol, I have about 12 5 quart jugs to bring for recycle. My truck alone take 7 quarts.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 11-06-2017, 11:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryHawk250 View Post
Lol, I have about 12 5 quart jugs to bring for recycle. My truck alone take 7 quarts.
I have a 15 gal keg so it tends to just fill and fill. At least i don't just dump it off the overpass . Everything will be electric by the time we get to be old
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~

Old 11-07-2017, 12:34 AM   #15

So what does my 7 5 gallon buckets say about me...