Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Other Brands
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2014, 08:10 PM   #1

New member, new XR conversion

Hello all, I thogght that I would introduce myself and let you in on my project. My name is Jason and I live in western Montana. Years ago I had an XR200. It was an awesome bike. It burned oil like a two stroke, and was gutless as can be, but it never let me down. In a quest for a bigger bike I decided to trade it towards a Husaberg 600. What a mistake that was! Anyhow, recently I came across another XR200 for $50! AWESOME! I got her home and found out the previous owner didn't have a clue. The cam timing was all out of whack, the valves were shot, sprocket welded on to the countershaft, etc. In other words it was a basket case. It was then that I had an epiphany. I had recently purchased a Harbor Freight chineese engine for use on my Melroe Skidsteer, and it worked out great! Surely there must be a replacement that would work in the XR. Bingo! I found a Lifan 200cc engine complete with all the accessories on Ebay. So here I am now. I've got the engine mounted, some of the electrical mounted, and I heard it run today. Now all I have to do is wait for my chain and sprockets to come in (and figure out the last of the really wierd wiring). I'll post some pictures, and videos as soon as I figure out how!

Jason

Old 04-27-2014, 08:49 PM   #2

Looking forward to the pics.

07 Ural Gear Up
79 Honda CX500
77 VeloSolex 4600 V3
73 VeloSolex 3800

I'm making this up as I go.-Indiana Jones

Telling me something 'is for my own good', is a fast way to a fat lip.-Me

I don't even care about my own problems, why should I care about yours?-Quote on one of my favorite t-shirts

Old 04-27-2014, 10:15 PM   #3

Welcome. You are not the first to make this transplant. Do you have a 520 sprocket and chain coming?

Old 04-28-2014, 12:41 AM   #4

Welcome; you came to the right place. We are glad you joined us.

Among others, FastDoc did a similar conversion. I'm sure he will soon appear to help you with your wiring questions.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 04-28-2014, 11:33 AM   #5

katoranger, I have a 13 tooth 520 sprocket for a 1991 Honda Fourtrax coming. I'm mating it to a 45 Tooth. I'm not sure how the Lifan is geared, but I tried to keep the same ratio as was set up on the XR.

Wiring.....I've got two sets of wires coming out of the engine. One of which has a green plug on it that fits the main wire harness. The only problem is that the foltage regulator has the same plug. Which one is supposed to plug in to the harness? Where do I plug in the other?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140427_153611.jpg (58.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg 20140427_153624.jpg (61.6 KB, 78 views)

Old 04-28-2014, 11:46 AM   #6

Welcome!

We've done a similar swap into Son of Weldangrind's XR200R. He was torturing yesterday.

I think I understand your question, but I'm not sure. The regulator does not plug directly into the stator wires from the engine. Does that make sense?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-28-2014, 01:56 PM   #7

Weldangrind, that was exactly what I needed to know. How does one go about wiring in kthe regulator if there is no where for it to plug into? I considered taking the wire harness apart so that I could tell exactly where each wire was going. I'm not sure that will help al that much as it seems that the colors of wires may not nessicarily align to any of the wire diagrams I have seen.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:00 PM   #8

You will be geared low. Should climb well.

Old 04-28-2014, 07:33 PM   #9

That's great news....I'm too fat for a 200. I need all the gearing help I can get.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:03 AM   #10

I'm pretty sure the harness has the right connector for the regulator. The harness should position the regulator either under the seat or under the tank. The harness does not have a mating connector for the regulator?

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 AM   #11

Are you planning to run lights and electric start?

Old 04-29-2014, 08:59 AM   #12

The regulator has a 6 pin connector with 5 wires in it. The only available plugs on the harness are 4 pin. I would like to run lights and possibly electric start if I can figure out where to put a battery on the frame.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:26 AM   #13

That sounds like the regulator or the harness are incorrect. Perhaps you should contact the seller. Where did you buy the engine from?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #14

I ordered the engine on Ebay. I contacted the seller today and got the wire diagram from him. Looks like only one of the sets of wires (5 wires) coming from the engine are used. Simple enough, I may have to hard wire a couple of connections. Now I am wondering what the other set of wires coming from the engine (6 light gage wires) go to. Are they lighting coils? Why so many wires if so? How do I wire them up? I haven't seen any schematics showing this group of wires.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:09 AM   #15

Could also be an LED shift light option, like our Lifan bike has. Really hokey.