Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2020, 05:51 PM   #1

Grin 2008 Lifan LF200GY-5 Second Gear and carb issue

Hey chinariders!

It's been a while sense I posted here, I've gotten so much help from everyone here years ago on my "Lifanized" Roketa db-06. I'm looking for some more help with a Lifan GY-5 200cc that will be my girlfriends first bike.

So me and my brother both have DRZ400's and my brother is completely not interested in selling or doing anything with his GY-5 so he said my girlfriend could have it, but it has some issues.

First thing is, second gear is a pain to shift into, Like you gotta stomp it, and hard to get it to go, it wasn't always like. My brother said he did an oil change to see if it would get better, but it did not help, I will start with a fresh oil change my self to see if it gets any better. If it doesn't does anyone have a suggestion on what it could be?

Second thing is, the carb spits out a lot of fuel, Like the float is stuck or something ( i've only cleaned a few carbs so im not to experienced with them ). So we had a GY-5 Parts bike, so we took the carb off of that and tried it on his running GY-5 and it did the same thing, which i thought was very strange. Im willing to just replace it with a new one if possible, if anyone could point me in the right direction for one that will bolt and hook right up, just to be done with it. If you have suggestions on it, I am willing to take it apart and have a look inside.

Any ideas or help is appreciated Thanks guys!
2008 Ninja 250R Sold
1984 Honda aero 125 Sold
1980 Honda CM400T Sold

Old 03-05-2020, 01:48 AM   #2

How's the clutch adjustment?

Old 03-05-2020, 11:28 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGammaGhost View Post

Second thing is, the carb spits out a lot of fuel, Like the float is stuck or something ( i've only cleaned a few carbs so im not to experienced with them ). So we had a GY-5 Parts bike, so we took the carb off of that and tried it on his running GY-5 and it did the same thing, which i thought was very strange. Im willing to just replace it with a new one if possible, if anyone could point me in the right direction for one that will bolt and hook right up, just to be done with it. If you have suggestions on it, I am willing to take it apart and have a look inside.
!
Idle mixture screw may be too far out or pilot jet is too big. Or the float needle is not fully sealing and needs to be cleaned or replaced. I would say take it apart, inspect the parts for any corrosion, varnish, or damage, clean as needed. Make sure the float needle nib still has some spring back to it and clean the float needle seat with a q tip and some decent elbow grease (think of it like polishing the seat). Easy float needle seal test, try to blow through the fuel inlet line with the carb inverted. You shouldn't be able to get any air past it.

Or, buy a new carb.

As far as the second gear problem, it will be hard to diagnose accurately from this side of the computer. What about the other up gears? is 3rd or 4th also hard to engage, or just second? Is second hard to engage going down from 3rd, or up from First/Neutral? Both?
https://chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=34124

Old 03-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys!

franque - the clutch adjustment seemed fine, I still have to get the bike out of storage, I plan to this weekend hopefully, I will double check it and report back.

Megadan - Thanks that is very helpfull, I will plan to take apart the carb and clean it really good, along with the blow test.

Third and fourth gear seem fine, Once you manage to get into second. As for going from Third to second I will have to confirm once I get the bike out, hopefully this weekend. second to first You will occasionally go into neutral some times, but for the most part it goes back into first just fine.

Just trying to get a jump start on what i need to look for, getting this this going for spring. I apprecaite it, and i will update you guys on what I find out.
2008 Ninja 250R Sold
1984 Honda aero 125 Sold
1980 Honda CM400T Sold

Old 03-05-2020, 02:25 PM   #5

Make sure that you have a little free play, but not too much. Having too much could mean that you're not properly getting the clutch to disengage the transmission (when the clutch lever is pulled in), it'll be difficult to shift. Been there, done that, with a clutch cable that kept re-adjusting itself due to vibration.

Old 03-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by franque View Post
Make sure that you have a little free play, but not too much. Having too much could mean that you're not properly getting the clutch to disengage the transmission (when the clutch lever is pulled in), it'll be difficult to shift. Been there, done that, with a clutch cable that kept re-adjusting itself due to vibration.
Got the bike out this weekend. It was just the clutch cable needed to be adjusted!! the engage point was like 1/16 of an inch after releasing your grip. Like you said it must had happened due to vibration. Thanks so much for the help on this, glad it was something simple.

As for the carb, once you turn the fuel on, it literally pours out from the float overflow tube. so I'm going to take it apart and see why the float needle inst sealing properly.

Also the bike is a bit tall, anyone ever tried to lower a chinabike on here, have any tips, she is about 5' 5'' tall.
2008 Ninja 250R Sold
1984 Honda aero 125 Sold
1980 Honda CM400T Sold

Old 03-09-2020, 12:40 PM   #7

Glad it worked out. I'd get her a good pair of boots, and show her that only one foot needs to be down to be safe.

Tags
carbeurator, gy-5, lf200gy-5, lifan, second gear