Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Adventure Bikes > Zongshen RX3
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2015, 12:02 PM   #3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjn View Post
I remember looking through some information on this bike. It seems it uses two oil filters. One on each side? That's a bit strange. Is this correct?
The bike has one oil filter, and two oil strainers. The oil filter and one of the oil strainers are located on the right side of the motorcycle. The second oil strainer is located on the left side of the motorcycle.

The two oil strainers are reusable, stainless steel (ss) mesh. The bikes delivered by CSC have a paper oil filter, but one can also obtain a reusable, ss oil filter from China.

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM   #3437

Quote:
Originally Posted by katflap View Post
Yes your probably right, I should chase it up and I may well do.

But I would like to get the injector out and test it to see if it drips under pump pressure.

I would like to have a spare one handy just in case it all goes pair shaped and wind up killing it.
Excellent plan. There are some spares that you should just have.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2015, 01:10 PM   #3438

Quote:
I'm not sure but I think the inverse curve is the fuel consumption rate

Grams per kilowatt hour (g/kwh)

X axis Dyno rpm

y axis g/kwh on the right, goes up to 377.5

There seems to be 2 graphs in one going on here

The "Meo" curve seems to represent torque or at least the "torque revise" figures, what the hell that is I've no idea.

X axis dyno rpm

y axis (on right) Nm - ranging from 17.61 to 21.90 and above

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjr21 View Post
Two curves at the bottom deal with fuel.

Straight upwards is amount of fuel used.

Inverse curve shows efficiency of transferring potential energy of fuel into mechanical energy.
Thanks for the explanation, gentlemen. Fuel consumption vs. energy created hadn't occurred to me.

Can you further explain which curve is torque and which is hp? I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-09-2015, 03:09 PM   #3439

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weldangrind View Post
Thanks for the explanation, gentlemen. Fuel consumption vs. energy created hadn't occurred to me.

Can you further explain which curve is torque and which is hp? I think I know the answer, but I want to be sure.
I think I've got this right

Old 05-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #3440

Quote:
I have noticed over time that my oil level has been rising. At first I thought I was just imagining it. But I think now it could be the case.

So I have set up some marks on the ground and selected a block of wood for under the side stand.

This combined with a small mark I have made on the oil level inspection window so I can accurately monitor the oil level each time I check.

This I did last week. Today I checked the oil level and It does seem to be starting to rise.

Also when I initially set this up I removed an amount of oil to gain the correct level. This oil reeked of fuel, I don't mean a small whiff of petrol, it totally stunk of the stuff.

Probably best if I order a new injector before I start ripping things apart
Ok so temptation got the better of me - out it came

Switched on, pump up to pressure - no leakage

cranked on starter - injector sprayed

stopped cranking engine - no leakage

so that's me stumped for now

Anyhoo , here's a few injector pics

Old 05-09-2015, 03:56 PM   #3441

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider View Post
The bike has one oil filter, and two oil strainers. The oil filter and one of the oil strainers are located on the right side of the motorcycle. The second oil strainer is located on the left side of the motorcycle.

The two oil strainers are reusable, stainless steel (ss) mesh. The bikes delivered by CSC have a paper oil filter, but one can also obtain a reusable, ss oil filter from China.
I stand corrected. I clearly missed the left side oil strainer. I'll be sure to get it on the next oil change.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:16 PM   #3442

Sump getting gas in it.

Quote:

Anyhoo , here's a few injector pics

It may be a long shot, but there aren't many other ways I can imagine the engine filling with gasoline; either the injector is intermittently sticking/leaking after shut down, or sticking and seeping after shutdown once it's warmed up, (same thing really). I've had carbs with sticking floats overfill and fill the crankcase but I've never seen an injected model do it. The injector is the only gas link to the engine so.....I'd change that first as you planned. Having gas in the oil isn't just bad for the bearings, it doesn't help the clutch either.

Old 05-10-2015, 04:57 AM   #3443

Every USB outlet, convertor, or charger I've had the misfortune of dealing with draws power when connected to the battery, doesn't matter if anything is plugged into the port or not. Be sure to wire the USB to through a switch unless you can verify this one is somehow different. The 12 volt power outlet will not draw power unless something is plugged in, unless someone who doesn't like you drops a coin in it.

Quote:
I have no personal experience with dyno sheets, but I've reviewed several over the years. I am struggling to understand the inverse curve at the bottom of the graph, and I'm failing to get which curve represents torque.
Torque is measured in newton meters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G19Tony View Post
Thanks for all the research you do Spud. I will try the ATF you recommend. Your information makes these bikes easier to work on. I wonder if MIL SPEC HYD 83282 would work. If it's good enough for fighter jets, it should work for us! It makes sense to use hyd fluid in a hyd component.
My lubricant guru has a PhD in chemical engineering and spent 40 years analyzing and doing research and development on lubricants in the Exxon Mobil lab. Here's a summary of what I learned from him:

DO NOT assume anything used in aviation is adequate for motorcycles. I've seen several people dump oil for aviation piston engines in their motorcycles and wipe out the cams and followers in under 100 miles. 110LL still has enough lead to gag a catalytic convertor right quick. Same goes for diesel truck oils in motorcycles. Some will be fine, some won't. Even about half the Rotellas that have served riders for years no longer adequately protect cams in motorcycles. Same goes for Mobil commercial oils. Do you know how to tell the difference? If not, It makes sense to use products intended for the technologies your motorcycle encompasses. There is way too much specialization in lubricants today, with formulations changing constantly to keep up with emission and economy regulations, to just dump in whatever lubricant is handy. Even products that picture motorcycles on the labels may not be compatible with every motorcycle. An air cooled, slow turning 1300cc V-twin with dual sumps has very different requirements of its engine oil than a water cooled, 10,000rpm 250cc single with a single sump.

I expect the shop manual lists lubricant specifications and those should be adhered to--at least check and make sure what you are thinking of using meets the requirements. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Never know until you check.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #3444

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldqwerty View Post
Every USB outlet, convertor, or charger I've had the misfortune of dealing with draws power when connected to the battery, doesn't matter if anything is plugged into the port or not. Be sure to wire the USB to through a switch unless you can verify this one is somehow different. The 12 volt power outlet will not draw power unless something is plugged in, unless someone who doesn't like you drops a coin in it.

Torque is measured in newton meters.

My lubricant guru has a PhD in chemical engineering and spent 40 years analyzing and doing research and development on lubricants in the Exxon Mobil lab. Here's a summary of what I learned from him:

DO NOT assume anything used in aviation is adequate for motorcycles. I've seen several people dump oil for aviation piston engines in their motorcycles and wipe out the cams and followers in under 100 miles. 110LL still has enough lead to gag a catalytic convertor right quick. Same goes for diesel truck oils in motorcycles. Some will be fine, some won't. Even about half the Rotellas that have served riders for years no longer adequately protect cams in motorcycles. Same goes for Mobil commercial oils. Do you know how to tell the difference? If not, It makes sense to use products intended for the technologies your motorcycle encompasses. There is way too much specialization in lubricants today, with formulations changing constantly to keep up with emission and economy regulations, to just dump in whatever lubricant is handy. Even products that picture motorcycles on the labels may not be compatible with every motorcycle. An air cooled, slow turning 1300cc V-twin with dual sumps has very different requirements of its engine oil than a water cooled, 10,000rpm 250cc single with a single sump.

I expect the shop manual lists lubricant specifications and those should be adhered to--at least check and make sure what you are thinking of using meets the requirements. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. Never know until you check.
I know. I just thought I was being funny.

I follow the tech data for what ever I'm messing with.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:06 AM   #3445

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
It may be a long shot, but there aren't many other ways I can imagine the engine filling with gasoline; either the injector is intermittently sticking/leaking after shut down, or sticking and seeping after shutdown once it's warmed up, (same thing really). I've had carbs with sticking floats overfill and fill the crankcase but I've never seen an injected model do it. The injector is the only gas link to the engine so.....I'd change that first as you planned. Having gas in the oil isn't just bad for the bearings, it doesn't help the clutch either.
Yeah, I will definitely change the injector out when I've got a new one.
Like you say, it could be an intermittent fault.

I Will be keeping a close eye on the oil level and change it out often.
As you have pointed out, I don't want to shag the bearings or the clutch.
I guess it could also begin to degrade the seals too.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:10 PM   #3446

Quote:

I agree with Veteran that perhaps there is an intermittent leak at the injector when the bike is off. Is there an opportunity to pull the injector after a ride and leave it out? Perhaps you could suspend it over a container, to see if any fuel escapes overnight.

I would certainly change the injector, but I always prefer to have solid evidence to back up my theories. That said, I also agree with Veteran that the injector is the only fuel link.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:13 PM   #3447

Quote:
I Will be keeping a close eye on the oil level and change it out often.
As you have pointed out, I don't want to shag the bearings or the clutch.
I guess it could also begin to degrade the seals too.
I can see where fuel would harm traditional babbit--style automotive bearings, but I don't think rollers would be harmed. Some people wash that style of bearing in petrol anyway. I wouldn't, but some do.

I agree that the fuel can't be good for the clutch.

A certain amount of fuel always ends up in the bottom end during normal combustion, but not a level that you would ever notice. Perhaps you should check your venting system, just to be sure that it is free of any obstructions. I'm not saying the venting system is the cause, but I'd feel better knowing it is capable of dealing with the pressure.

Old 05-10-2015, 12:16 PM   #3448

Quote:
I think I've got this right

Excellent! I surmised that the bell curve was torque, and it is almost the inverse of the fuel consumption rate curve, which makes perfect sense.

I am a little confused by the RPM data; do you think the chart is posting both crankshaft RPM and gear reduction RPM at the clutch?

Old 05-10-2015, 03:35 PM   #3449

Quote:
I agree with Veteran that perhaps there is an intermittent leak at the injector when the bike is off. Is there an opportunity to pull the injector after a ride and leave it out? Perhaps you could suspend it over a container, to see if any fuel escapes overnight.
That's a good idea, I will try that when I get the opportunity

Old 05-10-2015, 03:42 PM   #3450

Quote:
A certain amount of fuel always ends up in the bottom end during normal combustion, but not a level that you would ever notice. Perhaps you should check your venting system, just to be sure that it is free of any obstructions. I'm not saying the venting system is the cause, but I'd feel better knowing it is capable of dealing with the pressure.
Assuming the only vent is where the oil/water separator connects to then this appears to be fine.
Though it might be worth me disconnecting the tube for a while and monitor for any difference.