Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2017, 09:13 PM   #1

Oil cooler update.........

Ok folks, Got the new style cooler mounted up today but had to use parts from my old cooler to make it work. FYI, I pulled my old valve cover style cooler off after sitting all winter and it was still full of oil. Anyways here are some pics. The kit as it comes that goes in place the oil screen cap does NOT fit without mods. I think i can get it done if i can add some banjo fittings to the kit so the hoses can be cut to fit. Currently the hoses have crimped ends to us in a horizontal position like the 1st photo attached. As we all know this means somehow modifying the fender so it don't hit which i was not able to accomplish without hacking it up.

The last 3 pics are of the new cooler on my personal bike. Once i get the hose thing figured out we should be good to go. Haven't put a check valve in yet and i'm really not to concerned myself. Not much different than starting my truck at 30 below and the oil pressure gauge not budging for 10-15 seconds but everyone has an opinion on this. Any comments/ideas would be appreciated as time is limited for me this time of year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg horiz.jpg (60.3 KB, 1015 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_171310.jpg (66.1 KB, 572 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_171312.jpg (54.6 KB, 709 views)
File Type: jpg 20170423_171319.jpg (67.0 KB, 539 views)

Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #2

FYI, I will have 5 of the valve cover style kits available with the mounting bracket by weeks end. With the mounting bracket these will be $100 including shipping. Pretty painless install for the most part. I have plenty of pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg final oil cooler.jpg (71.7 KB, 611 views)

Old 04-23-2017, 09:22 PM   #3

Also please note, BOTH kits have the same STACKED PLATE design cooler that you can pressure wash without fear of bending the fins over.......

Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 AM   #4

Sign me up for one of the 5.

Old 04-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
FYI, I will have 5 of the valve cover style kits available with the mounting bracket by weeks end. With the mounting bracket these will be $100 including shipping. Pretty painless install for the most part. I have plenty of pictures.
Sign me up for 1 of the 5(The valve cover style).Can I mounted vertically like you did?

Old 04-24-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Hi, so I am going to be getting my Hawk in the next few weeks. I transferred to Texas DFW area would this be a recommended mod considering how hot it gets here? If you can't tell I am a newbie and this will be my first Motorcycle.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Sign me up for 1 of the 5(The valve cover style).Can I mounted vertically like you did?
Yes, Will have the bracket included.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luinn View Post
Hi, so I am going to be getting my Hawk in the next few weeks. I transferred to Texas DFW area would this be a recommended mod considering how hot it gets here? If you can't tell I am a newbie and this will be my first Motorcycle.
I lived in DFW (Carolton) in 2004. Anything you can do for added oil and extra cooling can't hurt. I got out after 1 summer! I would rather live where it gets 20 below in the winter LOL!

Old 04-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #9

Well active duty Navy so no choice sometimes. Well I may hit you up after I break her in then. Thank you for all the work on this stuff by the way.

Old 04-24-2017, 11:46 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luinn View Post
Well active duty Navy so no choice sometimes. Well I may hit you up after I break her in then. Thank you for all the work on this stuff by the way.
Thank you for your service! Got a good friend who is a Senior Chief retired and my SIL was in the Navy in the early 80's.....

Old 04-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #11

Any other feedback folks? The factory is working on the hose situation for me right now.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #12

Which is better?

Which one do you think will cool better? I'm leaning towards the new design vs the valve cover design. As far as routine maintenance goes, I think the new design will be easier to work around. I adjust the valves every time I change the oil, so the valve cover design would add to the tight quarters. Any thoughts?

See you on the trails!
-2016 Hawk 250 - Kitty Hawk - eBay exhaust, Mikuni carb(120 main/30 Pilot), airbox mod with K&N filter, digital cluster, total LEDs, 17/45 sprockets, RK chain, Shinko 244 tires, trunk, aftermarket levers, burrito tube, skid plate, Sargent Cycle Seat...
-2003 HD Sportster 100th Anniversary
-1999 Buell X-1 Lightning - Race kit, Buell Seat

Old 04-27-2017, 10:10 AM   #13

They both will do a good job but the "new design" will work better. If you mount the new one vertically you will have to use a check valve to prevent all the oil draining back into your engine every time you turn it off so you don't have a oil starved start. I would use a check valve even if I mounted it horizontally. With the old design you can route the hoses in a way so no check valve is needed, that makes it easy. I would go with the new design if I where you. Seems to me that anyone who rides one of these bikes on the highway or hard off road needs one of these. I think they should be installed stock.

Old 04-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
Also please note, BOTH kits have the same STACKED PLATE design cooler that you can pressure wash without fear of bending the fins over.......
Mystef,I will go with the new design one so I don't have to powder coat the valve cover.I will promise you I will not change my mind again.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Mystef,I will go with the new design one so I don't have to powder coat the valve cover.I will promise you I will not change my mind again.
Actually the valve covers i got are painted lol. Still working with the MFG on so hose issues on the new design....