Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > Off-Topic/General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2009, 07:30 PM   #16

This ban wouldnt have happened if parents would just supervise their kids and not allow the kids to gnaw on the lead filled parts of their power sport toys.

When I was a kid the last thing I would be caught doing on my mini bike is chewing on it.....riding till it stopped-YES.......kicking up dust on the neighbors freshly painted garage doors-YES.......chewing on it-NEVER.

Actually my take on it is this : some "group" got this kiddie power sport ban passed by pointing out the high lead levels since that is the current scourge in kids toys.
What they really want is to stop the sale of these power sport toys that kids have gotten hurt on.
Now that is just my gut hunch opinion.

Old 02-13-2009, 07:58 PM   #17

Yea, I agree Teamcheap. I think it's because of kids that have gotten hurt. I hate to see kids getting hurt, but they are just as likely to get hurt on a bicycle. When my son rides his PW50, I make him do a pre-trip inspection of the bike, we sit down and talk about riding techniques, talk about understanding the consequences of pushing the envelope as his skills and confidence increase, and he must wear his safety gear. I encourage laid back trail riding but will let him race around for a little bit, but only after another sit down talk. Can I completely prevent him from getting hurt on his motorcycle, No. However I can keeps the odds in his favor while letting him enjoy life.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 PM   #18

Send a message via MSN to liverchip
I sounds like the anti "thrillcraft" group is behind this one.

2007 X-Moto(Jetmoto) GY250
--mods---
15/40 sprockets
UNI Pod Filter

2007 Shineray TMS 200XYi--Betsy
Betsy Mods:______________________
Acerbis DHH headlight
FMF Powercore pipe
Uni Pod Filter

Old 02-15-2009, 10:32 AM   #19

I read where the ban will go as far as not to even allow shops to work on the old bikes, as well as sell new ones. I sure hope there is a HUGE uproar by the public to get this reversed on motorcycles. They should not be part of the toy ban....
2005 TANK Trail 200
2009 Lifan LY110GY-3 (2)

Old 02-15-2009, 10:59 AM   #20

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/pr..._overview.aspx

Scroll down to the 50s. Temporarily not available.

The crf50 is not even listed on Honda's site.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #21

It doesn't seem to matter much what the subject, some people (and therefore groups) will always insist that they have exclusive insight into how other people should live their lives.

When they get their way with one item; such as banning atv's, motorcycles and other powersport "toys", they will move on to some other "threat" to their own precious view of how life should be lived.

Same old sad song, just a new verse. :roll:
2005 Kawasaki EX250 - A new project

Old 02-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #22

I have to work with one of those. He constantly is trying to tell everyone how to live there lives. Fortunately we are in the south and everyone else just tells him to go back to California.

He didn't care for the black smoke from my diesel benz either. (I puff alittle extra his way whenever I can.)

I keep thinking back to the America I grew up in. I rode bikes with no helmets or pads. Didn't have a carseat, ran around in the back of the station wagon. Dad put me on the G john deere and I drove while he loaded bales on the rack. I was 6.

Allen

Old 02-15-2009, 01:34 PM   #23

...But letting people think for themselves and learn from mistakes would be Anti- American.... :roll:
Can you imagine what would happen to society if the Gov't and Special interest groups were not around to run your life??? without Big Brother we would probably drive humans into extinction.

Remember rich city people dictate rural policys because we all know how "edumacated" laywers have our best interests at heart, regardless if they have even sat on a tractor or stepped in cowshit!
It only stands to reason that people who are scared of, or disinterested in powersports make laws that affect people who actually ride. :wink:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 02-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #24

Why are we (N. Americans) following this New world order???
Idiot laws are turning us into sheep. I can't count the people who are oblivious to the few dictating to many...100 years ago the Many dictated to the few...I guess it has something to do with the Few making Billions more dollars than the many...when 1 Ceo earns the Gross product equal to all the wagearner citizens in 1 state...they get listened to at the fundraising banquet.
I would suggest standing up to these kind of people...but that would put me on the terrorist watchlist and may earn me a vacation to Gitmo. :roll:
'08 Yongjiang 150cc atv (Jinlong)

Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #25

Yeah I've had it with people sticking their nose in my business and telling me what I should and shouldnt do.
They have NO idea of what I want/need/like but insist on telling me what I should do then they dissappear when some real work needs to be done.

Some laws are good and needed but the vast majority of them could be thrown out.

I dont think this ban will be here for long but it is a very disturbing ban nonetheless.(you gotta wonder what else is on the agenda)

Old 02-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #26

I sent a e-mail both to the Consumer Protection Agency and to my Congressman. I encourage others to do the same. Your local Motorcycle store should be able to assist you in getting the right e-mail address in your state. I wrote in my letters the negative affects of disrupting an activity that bonds families, the law hurts the economy, and takes away freedom. I thanked them for looking into a potential health hazard, but explained that it should not have been turned into a ban, but that just a simple letter from the dealer explaining the health hazards associated with the motorcycle would be sufficient and let the consumer make his or her decision from there. I explained to them that I was dissapointed with the constant intrusions coming from the Government not only in this law, but several other laws that have come to pass over the last 10 years or so.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:26 PM   #27

Please sign the petition. This is total BS!

http://www.petitionspot.com/petitions/thumpertalk

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #28

Now if they REALLY want to do something to protect us they should outlaw fishing. How many times have you ever smashed a split shot with your teeth :oops: or handled a LEAD sinker with out washing your hands immediately :roll:

Old 02-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake100
Now if they REALLY want to do something to protect us they should outlaw fishing. How many times have you ever smashed a split shot with your teeth :oops: or handled a LEAD sinker with out washing your hands immediately :roll:
They've already started that in this state, but they are doing it gradually by having "fishing tackle turn-in" programs where you exchange your lead sinkers for tin ones. There is no ban as of yet. Of course, the tin ones don't work as well for fishing because tin is less dense and therefore requires a big sinker to achieve the effect of a small lead one. I don't want to give them any ideas, but I really think gold would be a better material for fishing sinkers than tin.

Old 02-17-2009, 05:10 PM   #30

You guys .........they're "doing it for the children"