Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > General > New Member Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2020, 01:09 PM   #1

New from New Jersey

Hey everyone I’m brand new to motorcycles let alone Chinese motorcycles. Don’t know what happened but I’ve suddenly been hooked on motorcycles and am looking to get my motorcycle endorsement and purchase my first bike (hopefully). I’ve been looking at the boomcat 125 and would love some feedback and tips on purchasing/registering the bike, like where to get it and how to get it registered.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:37 PM   #2

Welcome aboard! They are addictive. before you know it you will own 2 or 3.
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S
2004 Honda ST 1300
2016 Black Hawk 250 (sold)
Keihin PE30 carb,125 main,38 slow.Pod filter,ported & decked head 10:1 CR,Direct Ignition Coil,15/40Sprockets,NGK DPR8EIX-9,De-Cat,Dual Oil Cooler,Digital Cluster
2016 Cazador180 XL
2014 Coolster150
JerryHawk250.com
My YouTube Channel

Old 05-22-2020, 03:00 PM   #3

Thanks!! They do look like fun. I just think the boomcat is so simple and clean looking. I contacted kronik racing because I was told they are very knowledgeable in boom/baodiao bikes so maybe the can help me figure out with they are able to be registered in New Jersey. I also have another thread up in the registration section to try to get more info as well. Hopefully I’ll be cruising on a boomcat in the near future!

Old 05-22-2020, 11:49 PM   #4

Update: Pete from Kronik Racing got back to me and said the boomcat (it’s called the boom retro on the kronik racing website, I guess the names are interchangeable) can be registered in all 50 states. That sounds like great news to me but I don’t want to just take his word for it, so I’ll keep researching. I’m just afraid of forking out so much money for a bike and not being able to do anything with it

Old 05-23-2020, 12:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1298 View Post
Update: Pete from Kronik Racing got back to me and said the boomcat (it’s called the boom retro on the kronik racing website, I guess the names are interchangeable) can be registered in all 50 states. That sounds like great news to me but I don’t want to just take his word for it, so I’ll keep researching. I’m just afraid of forking out so much money for a bike and not being able to do anything with it
He is not pulling your leg, BUT it will be NJ itself that screws you. Most Chinese motorcycles are 49-state legal; Californians need not apply. However, the Boom lineup as I mentioned is actually California CARB certified which allows them to be registered there. Once a bike is California certified, it is generally no problem for all other 49 states. But, the other month, someone posted the NJ list, and from what I remember, it was based on the 2015 US EPA/DOT list. Vaders were not on that list as they hadn't been released. You confirmed that same list. However, that would mean that any newer bikes released by any brand could not be registered in NJ. Surely, if you took a sample VIN number to a NJ DMV office, they could run it and give you a straight answer?

TGB Delivery Scooter 150
TMEC 200 Enduro--carcass is sadly rotting in the backyard

Old 05-23-2020, 01:16 AM   #6

That’s a good idea. I think I’ll go and do that and see what they tell me.

Old 05-27-2020, 08:38 PM   #7

Welcome!

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 05-30-2020, 11:36 PM   #8

Hey Matt in a NJ rider as well. Just getting into China bikes, i ordered a TBR7 from Q9 and it should be here in a week or two. What sucks for us is our governor is keeping the DMVs closed so we are not gunna be able to register our bikes or apply for our moto permit. The process is easy but it’s going to be a madhouse when he finally decides to open things again. Right now it’s set to be June 8th but it’s been pushed back like 4 times already so only time will tell.

Edit: NJ is kind of strict, Apollo and Tao are one of the few China brands we can register. No Hawks or bombcats for us :(

Old 06-01-2020, 01:26 AM   #9

Yeah that doesn’t help with the DMV being closed either. I found a bike that I like that’s made my Dongfang, who is on the list of approved manufacturers for NJ. The specific model is the DF250 RTG. It’s a little more powerful at 250cc but I feel like that would actually be better. I’ve been reading another forum about it and it seems like a good bike. Let’s hope the DMV opens soon and you can enjoy your new bike!

Old 07-17-2020, 02:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt1298 View Post
Yeah that doesn’t help with the DMV being closed either. I found a bike that I like that’s made my Dongfang, who is on the list of approved manufacturers for NJ. The specific model is the DF250 RTG. It’s a little more powerful at 250cc but I feel like that would actually be better. I’ve been reading another forum about it and it seems like a good bike. Let’s hope the DMV opens soon and you can enjoy your new bike!
I was at the DMV at Somerville. Those girls are all Jumpy, COVID fever.
They denied my Hawk 250 DLX regs.