Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2023, 08:56 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by btr22 View Post
Well, someone is going to have to be the Guinea pig and order these. I nominate Freddy. Let us know how it goes.
I'm tempted but I still need stiffer springs. You just need adjustable damping so you're the logical choice to try them first. GL

Edit: I wanted to add that the forks from Polarbear do have the wrong feet. I'm 99% certain that the oem feet will swap over but stanchion diameter should be confirmed before taking the plunge.

Last edited by Fast_Freddy; 06-25-2023 at 01:18 PM.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:30 AM   #32

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230627_205625048.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	455.2 KB
ID:	29522

When you can't get stiffer springs.

Name:	IMG_20230627_205927847.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	898.1 KB
ID:	29523

Joe Henner max preload spacers

Name:	IMG_20230627_231247723.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	902.5 KB
ID:	29524

20psi makes a huge difference! I might need to drop down to 10-15psi.

Old 09-14-2023, 08:44 PM   #33

Hey Freddy, I'm new here. Did that solve your problem? my weight is about 225 and I don't want it to sag either. Where did you get the air valves? Thanks...

Old 09-14-2023, 09:42 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilcan View Post
Hey Freddy, I'm new here. Did that solve your problem? my weight is about 225 and I don't want it to sag either. Where did you get the air valves? Thanks...
Welcome! The combo of spacers, 15w oil and air pressure solved my too-soft front suspension. I'm currently running about 15psi which is a tad stiff and will soon try lowering that to 5-10 psi.

There's a guy on facebook who used SIDS adapters for RockShox and metal valve/caps. This is by far the easiest way. Me being me I opted for the much harder method of drilling, tapping and installing truck wheel schrader valves (long story).

Old 10-20-2023, 09:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast_Freddy View Post
Welcome! The combo of spacers, 15w oil and air pressure solved my too-soft front suspension. I'm currently running about 15psi which is a tad stiff and will soon try lowering that to 5-10 psi.

There's a guy on facebook who used SIDS adapters for RockShox and metal valve/caps. This is by far the easiest way. Me being me I opted for the much harder method of drilling, tapping and installing truck wheel schrader valves (long story).
I ordered RockShox you posted the link to. Unfortunately, they are a hair too big to screw in. I measured the thread width with electronic calipers. The stock screw was about 4.60mm and the RockShox were 4.90. (or maybe it was 3.60 and 3.90 but the same difference) I really wanted them to be an easy fix, damn! Freddy, can you post some instructions and tips on how you installed the Shrader valves?? I don't want to f... up my shock caps.

Old 10-20-2023, 11:09 PM   #36

Quote:
I ordered RockShox you posted the link to. Unfortunately, they are a hair too big to screw in. I measured the thread width with electronic calipers. The stock screw was about 4.60mm and the RockShox were 4.90. (or maybe it was 3.60 and 3.90 but the same difference) I really wanted them to be an easy fix, damn! Freddy, can you post some instructions and tips on how you installed the Shrader valves?? I don't want to f... up my shock caps.
I'm sorry to hear that the adapters don't fit, the guy on FB said they did. Maybe he just forced them, being AL into AL but I wouldn't do that. You need to measure the thread pitch of the 5mm SIDs adapters and get a matching 5mm tap. Re-tap the fork caps with the new tap and use teflon tape on the male threads when installing the adapters.

If for some reason something goes wrong you can always drill the holes out and tap them for 1/8"NPT schrader valves.

Old 10-21-2023, 09:51 PM   #37

I ordered 1/8 shrader valves and a 1/8 NPT tap today. I couldn’t find the thread size on the valves so I hope the tap matches them. The side of the RockShox that goes into the shock cap is tiny and I’m sure would break off easily. I’ll keep it posted.

Old 10-21-2023, 10:19 PM   #38

Quote:
I ordered 1/8 shrader valves and a 1/8 NPT tap today. I couldn’t find the thread size on the valves so I hope the tap matches them. The side of the RockShox that goes into the shock cap is tiny and I’m sure would break off easily. I’ll keep it posted.
You'll need an 11/32" drill bit and a drill press is nice but not necessary. The hand pump for my mountain bike air forks works great for adding air.

Old 11-01-2023, 07:46 PM   #39

Quote:
You'll need an 11/32" drill bit and a drill press is nice but not necessary. The hand pump for my mountain bike air forks works great for adding air.
Well, I popped the cap off my front shock. How do I separate the cap from the inner shock body? I’ve watched some videos online but there seems to be a lot of parts and seals. I could just start taking things apart but figured I’d ask for help first. I need to separate the cap to drill and tap it for the shrader valves.

Old 11-01-2023, 08:10 PM   #40

Quote:
Well, I popped the cap off my front shock. How do I separate the cap from the inner shock body? I’ve watched some videos online but there seems to be a lot of parts and seals. I could just start taking things apart but figured I’d ask for help first. I need to separate the cap to drill and tap it for the shrader valves.
You don't need to disassemble much, just place a wrench on the cap and another (14mm?) on the nut just below the cap and loosen. Once loose the cap will spin right off the shaft.

Old 11-01-2023, 10:25 PM   #41

Quote:
You don't need to disassemble much, just place a wrench on the cap and another (14mm?) on the nut just below the cap and loosen. Once loose the cap will spin right off the shaft.
I feel stupid. That was super easy to get the caps off. I installed both shrader valves and pumped up with air to 20 psi. One side leaked down in 5 seconds. The other side held good for a while. After a few times airing up and down that second side is now leaking air. Maybe more Teflon tape will fix it. Too late to investigate now.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:19 PM   #42

Odd that any air leaked out. I've only done this to two bikes now but never had any air leaks from the forks. 20 psi should be very stiff, maybe try 10psi per leg.

Old 11-19-2023, 10:30 AM   #43

Quote:
Odd that any air leaked out. I've only done this to two bikes now but never had any air leaks from the forks. 20 psi should be very stiff, maybe try 10psi per leg.
I finally got around to looking at the valves. I took them out and put on only one or two wraps of Teflon tape. Then put some pipe sealant on the threads and screwed them in. Both shocks are holding air for several days without losing any pressure. I haven’t taken it for a ride yet. The air volume must be really minimal because just taking the inflator on and off the valve loses a few pounds. I filled them up to 20 psi with my electric Ryobi pump then use my low pressure gauge (15psi max) and bleed out the air to 15 psi. From your suggestions I’m probably gonna be comfortable at 10 psi.

Question is there any possibility of blowing out seals in the shocks with the extra air pressure?

Old 11-19-2023, 09:28 PM   #44

Quote:
I finally got around to looking at the valves. I took them out and put on only one or two wraps of Teflon tape. Then put some pipe sealant on the threads and screwed them in. Both shocks are holding air for several days without losing any pressure. I haven’t taken it for a ride yet. The air volume must be really minimal because just taking the inflator on and off the valve loses a few pounds. I filled them up to 20 psi with my electric Ryobi pump then use my low pressure gauge (15psi max) and bleed out the air to 15 psi. From your suggestions I’m probably gonna be comfortable at 10 psi.

Question is there any possibility of blowing out seals in the shocks with the extra air pressure?
Yes, use a hand pump. Ideally a bicycle suspension air pump works best since they don't lose air when disconnecting. They use a switch to open/close the valve. I wouldn't put more than 25 psi in them although they may hold more.

The forks are pretty firm at 15 psi aren't they? I've got mine down around 5 psi for road use.

Old 12-27-2023, 09:40 PM   #45

So I’ve done a few rides with the air valves in the shocks. I do feel there is a difference and improvement over stock. I run about 7 to 10 pounds. That seems to be pretty good. They hold air for a two hour ride and are still pressurized the next time I go for a ride. With the warm weather and no snow here in NH I rode three times in December so far. It was 46 degrees on Dec 26th and had a nice 15 mile ride in the woods. I prefer riding when it’s colder versus sweating like a pig in the summertime with all my safety gear and helmet.