Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2017, 04:20 PM   #1

Exhaust/Airbox mods/Proper Jet Kit

I am wanting to mod my stock exhaust by removing one of the baffles and have the ability to remove and reinstall the spark arrestor as needed depending while making the bike breathe better and still be able to retain the quiet sound when desired. What would be the best method for making the airbox breathe better? Also I am not sure exactly what jet kit to go with as I am sure I will need to do some tweaking on the carb after doing the exhaust and airbox. The brozz has a Keihin carb but I am not sure which jet kit is the correct one. Is there much else you can do to get a little more power out of these 229cc motors? I tried to search on here for more info on the jets on here but didn't find anything specific.

I think I will leave the sprockets alone for now as they are a good balance for acceleration/highway speeds stock.

Old 04-12-2017, 05:20 PM   #2

I own the shark version of the brozz. Having the airbox lid off it appears that the normal obstruction most people cut out is not there. My sprockets are already 17f 46r so really not much to change there so that leaves just the exhaust but I'm not 100% sure the one folks are using for the hawk and tt250 will work,(though the different frame on the TT might be the same as the bashans) on my stock exhaust the end cap is welded on so no easy way to cut out the baffels.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

sshevie i just bought a shark yesterday; how are you liking it so far? Also is there anything i should keep an eye out for during assembly when the bike does arrive?

Old 04-13-2017, 10:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
I own the shark version of the brozz. Having the airbox lid off it appears that the normal obstruction most people cut out is not there. My sprockets are already 17f 46r so really not much to change there so that leaves just the exhaust but I'm not 100% sure the one folks are using for the hawk and tt250 will work,(though the different frame on the TT might be the same as the bashans) on my stock exhaust the end cap is welded on so no easy way to cut out the baffels.
The end cap on the Brozz is held on with rivets.

Old 04-13-2017, 11:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbya1986 View Post
I am wanting to mod my stock exhaust by removing one of the baffles and have the ability to remove and reinstall the spark arrestor as needed depending while making the bike breathe better and still be able to retain the quiet sound when desired. What would be the best method for making the airbox breathe better? Also I am not sure exactly what jet kit to go with as I am sure I will need to do some tweaking on the carb after doing the exhaust and airbox. The brozz has a Keihin carb but I am not sure which jet kit is the correct one. Is there much else you can do to get a little more power out of these 229cc motors? I tried to search on here for more info on the jets on here but didn't find anything specific.

I think I will leave the sprockets alone for now as they are a good balance for acceleration/highway speeds stock.
Mikuni main jets will work in a Keihin, even though the thread pitch is different. Unfortunatly, the pilot jets do not inter-change...ARH

Old 04-13-2017, 04:48 PM   #6

while your airbox is open look inand see if you need one of these to keep the oil off your filter.
http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=18629
13' long chopper in progress
2009 johnny pag bar hog
2004 hd electra glide ultra classic shriner edition
1997 harley davidson 1200 sportster
1972 harley davidson amf sx250

Old 04-14-2017, 02:34 AM   #7

Tarote I'm really liking the shark from what I've gotten to ride it my ms is finnaly in the mail so I'll be putting some miles on it soon. The look of it has grown on me more and more someone jokingly said it looked like the brozz's ugly step brother. Nothing s,special for building it other than some washers and rubber gromits for mounting the front fender the plastic is not pliable and I was concerned the vibrations and bouncing would crack it.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sshevie View Post
I sure hope those exhausts work, I already have one sitting on the shelf for my Brozz LoL

Worst part is, I won't know if it'll fit for quite a while for two reasons
1) I'm breaking her in slow, and bone stock.
2) Even if I wanted to install it, my jet kit hasn't arrived yet LoL

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-14-2017, 09:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbya1986 View Post
I tried to search on here for more info on the jets on here but didn't find anything specific.
Here's what I came up with bud, hope this helps:

Us Brozz Bros. (hahaha pun totally intended) all have the KeiHin PZ30....

And, although I'll have to wait what seems to be a ridiculously long amount of time, I found a full jet kit for our carbs DIRT CHEAP here:

http://s.aliexpress.com/iIJBJNv6

Also note: if you're able to zoom in on the pictures, you'll discover that these are true KeiHin jets. (Look for the "Kstar" symbol on the #38, #45, and #52)

Tutorials on tuning the KeiHin PZ30 can be found all over the net, including here.

Also, without rejetting we can STILL richen things up by adjusting the A/F screw that's found vertically, underneath the engine side. Opening it up will help the dangerously lean stock settings, but only so much.

Also, the needle can be raised to a higher setting by dropping the clip from it's stock setting to a lower groove.

Rides a 2016 Bashan 18C with Blue PlastiDip, piped and jetted, USB charger, real-time digital volt meter, faux carbon fiber handguards, 5 COB led headlight upgrade, auxiliary led light bars, and an MSR shift lever with new grips, T6 aluminum handlebars anodized in blue, polished handlebar brace, decals, HD Unibear chain and spoke covers waiting on the always-full mod shelf......

Old 04-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #10

Thanks for the link I ordered up the Jets

Old 04-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWeld View Post
I sure hope those exhausts work, I already have one sitting on the shelf for my Brozz LoL
My guess is it should. It's just a CG so the header pipe should slip right in. You will probably have to nip the ends out of the flange, as the Honda 230 has a narrower stud pattern. On the TT250 I had to "format" the clutch lever on the motor a little flatter to miss the header pipe......but not a big deal.

Where the header pipe joins the mid-pipe, unless they moved the mount hole in the frame, it should bolt up. Use the same bolt that come on the bike, not the one supplied with the exhaust. I did a check-fit last night and it looks like the pipe may clear the air box. Time will tell.

Finally the muffler, I had to make a bracket to go between the muffler and frame for the TT250 but it was easy enough to do.

I'll be mounting this exhaust on my neighbors TT250 starting tonight.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Old 04-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
My guess is it should. It's just a CG so the header pipe should slip right in. You will probably have to nip the ends out of the flange, as the Honda 230 has a narrower stud pattern. On the TT250 I had to "format" the clutch lever on the motor a little flatter to miss the header pipe......but not a big deal.

Where the header pipe joins the mid-pipe, unless they moved the mount hole in the frame, it should bolt up. Use the same bolt that come on the bike, not the one supplied with the exhaust. I did a check-fit last night and it looks like the pipe may clear the air box. Time will tell.

Finally the muffler, I had to make a bracket to go between the muffler and frame for the TT250 but it was easy enough to do.

I'll be mounting this exhaust on my neighbors TT250 starting tonight.
THIS POST is the perfect example of how and why this forum is fantastic. The open sharing of experience and info, for the common good. Thanks 2LZ

Old 04-14-2017, 03:26 PM   #13

Quote:
THIS POST is the perfect example of how and why this forum is fantastic. The open sharing of experience and info, for the common good. Thanks 2LZ
Piece-o-cake.

Here's how I did the exhaust flange to accommodate the wider studs. Just a couple minutes with a Dremel is all it takes. The metal is softer than you'd think. I chose this method to keep the head pipe centered in the head. A couple washers should help support, if you think it's necessary. I don't think I did anything special to the TT250.

If I get around to making the bracket tonight, I'll shoot pics and dimensions. If your frame is dramatically different, I'd be surprised.

2007 Suzuki DRZ400S (SM convert)
2009 Q Link XP 200
1967 BSA B25 250cc Starfire
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2023 Royal Enfield Scram 411
1948 Royal Enfield Model G 350

Last edited by 2LZ; 05-26-2020 at 12:24 PM.

Old 04-14-2017, 04:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LZ View Post
Piece-o-cake.

Here's how I did the exhaust flange to accommodate the wider studs. Just a couple minutes with a Dremel is all it takes. The metal is softer than you'd think. I chose this method to keep the head pipe centered in the head. A couple washers should help support, if you think it's necessary. I don't think I did anything special to the TT250.

If I get around to making the bracket tonight, I'll shoot pics and dimensions. If your frame is dramatically different, I'd be surprised.
Did you reuse the stock gasket?

Old 04-15-2017, 12:00 AM   #15

Quote:
Did you reuse the stock gasket?
You can by finding the original orientation of that gasket in relation to the head pipe and cylinder exhaust port. Then just attached it to the head pipe with some masking tape and bolt on. The tape will burn off. At least this is what I did to reuse mine. No leakes .
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~Benjamin Franklin~