Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pit/Pocket Bikes & Scooters
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2008, 11:07 PM   #1

My new to me 110cc pitbike.

Well I was really bummed when I traded the kids pitbikes for a car. I wanted
to use my tax refund to purchase a 400cc-450cc bike but the city drained
my wallet for utilities. Since a new bike was a no go I decided to try and find
a new toy for around the yard/neighborhood. I kept watching Craigslist and
one day i came across an ad for a pitbike for $250. I offered the guy $200
cash and he was about a twenty minute drive from here. Well that night he
responded and said he would accept my offer. I wasted no time in going to
pick up the bike. So here is the pic he sent me. I will take better ones when
I get a chance. Not sure what brand or anything yet as I haven't had time to
really mess with it yet. I'll keep you all posted once I figure everything out.
I am really happy to have a new toy to ride. These things are really a blast.

Old 04-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #2

ImEazy

ImEazy, looks like a good little bike, price is certainly right . From the plastics it looks like it aint a SUNL , but some other "CHINA THING" ?
Hope it all works out and is good bike for you nonetheless .
Although selling your kids pit-bikes may haunt you in the future when your in an old folks home and the kids stop feeding you from past memories of there childhood when you sold there bikes
But, you got to drive a car to work, so priorities right . Tell them if they do there chores they can ride yours, maybe

Thanks for compliment and the Carbon Fibre lead on E-Bay . I have the plastics ordered already though , and they will be here this week . I bought them from the reliable people I have bought a $1,000.00 or so from , so shouldn't be an issue of quality . I have found just a few people I trust with parts on E-Bay so far. I keep trying other people, but so far MOST suck . Ecrox for em has been phenominal, Doop's is also really good, and the other half of Ecrox " Flying 50's " is good too , and a few others, but T-Motorsports are terrible people . Beware of them,t hey are fraudulent at best .

Anyway, thanks, and get some pics out to us when you get time of this new bike.

Cheers, Kelly5150 . I wish more people would post pics here . But for the technically challenged like me, it wasn't easy to figure it out, and the fact that people wanted to mess with me when I was trying to post them, did not help me . Jerks .

Later, Kelly

Old 04-22-2008, 03:59 PM   #3

Well sorry for diappearing for a while. Major computer problems. I got this
old box up and running for the time being. On top of that life has been kicking
my rear for the last couple weeks. I'm once again unemployed and taking
a couple weeks to get things around this place together.

As far as the pitbike goes. After about $150 and some elbow grease this is
how she looks as of last night.

I wasn't even sure this thing ran when I bought it. It needed a throttle
cable. I got one from a local shop and all is well. It runs like a champ.
I took it across town today to show it to my dad. It was a great ride.
I did end up with some parts that were suppose to fit these things but
didn't. They will be posted in the for sale section soon. All in all for the
$350 I have in this thing it is worth every penny. I need to find a local
group that races these things so I can have some real fun with it. I do
have a bid in on a new shock for it as the stocker is shot. Wish me luck.

I should mention that the new plastics were suppose to be Yamaha blue.
Unfortunately they dropped the ball when packaging and shipping them
to me. For $12 it wasn't worth it to send the new ones back for exchange.
Black was my second choice so I guess I can deal with it. :?

Old 04-22-2008, 05:18 PM   #4

Looks good to me

Looks good, thanks for the pics finally, thouht you died .
I am getting pretty pissy with suppliers that do that to you, swap stuff without your say so, or just purposely do it because they know you know it aint worth the fight.
What part of BLUE plastics ryhmmes with BLACK plastics ? Plastics I guess ? Fools .
I finally found some good people and I am keeping them !
I like the Hotwheels thing going on !!! Very cool . I am sure Tonka will be short to follow that up .
Looks like the rims are Orion stuff . I bet you could use a couple more inches in the rear too on this bike huh ? Did you bid on a taller shock too ?
Looks good, glad your up and running again, its hard to be without a bike , been there , done that, won't do it ever again .
Cheers, kelly out

Old 04-22-2008, 07:36 PM   #5

Re: Looks good to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly5150
Looks good, thanks for the pics finally, thouht you died .
Nope, not yet anyhow... laughs.

Quote:
I am getting pretty pissy with suppliers that do that to you, swap stuff without your say so, or just purposely do it because they know you know it aint worth the fight.
What part of BLUE plastics ryhmmes with BLACK plastics ? Plastics I guess ? Fools .
Yeah, I was kinda bummed as it clearly stated "Yamaha blue" on the order
form. Maybe Yamaha blue is actually black? Crummy workers that
completely screwed up! As stated I can live with it.

Quote:
I finally found some good people and I am keeping them !
There is a place kinda local to me that are pretty good, unfortunately I
didn't have the time to go to that shop. Opted for ebay instead. Lesson
learned.

Quote:
I like the Hotwheels thing going on !!! Very cool . I am sure Tonka will be short to follow that up .
Laughs... I never thought about Tonka. The Hot Wheels decals where only
$15. Unfortunately they weren't for the xr/crf clones. I had to cut them to
fit. Pretty happy with the way they turned out.

Quote:
Looks like the rims are Orion stuff . I bet you could use a couple more inches in the rear too on this bike huh ? Did you bid on a taller shock too ?
Looks good, glad your up and running again, its hard to be without a bike , been there , done that, won't do it ever again .
Cheers, kelly out
Not sure of the make as of yet. I still need to do some research (too lazy).
Yes. I could use a few inches on the rear of this as I am 6'2" and it is a bit
cramped. Yes I did bid on a longer (11" compared to 10") shock. If I win it
I hope it will raise this thing a bit and make me happier.

Yeah it is rough being without a running bike. I'm fortunate as my MZ is
running (went for a ride last Friday and loved it). The GY is down at the
moment as I am in the process of painting and replacing the headlight.

Old 04-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #6

Couple of questions.

Does anyone know what this tube is?

Or the tube on the manifold? I plugged it and it now idles instead of dieing.

Also have you ever seen a carb with no adjustment screws for the idle and
air/fuel mixture? The PO replaced the original with a Mikuni and it has none.

Thanks for any and all help.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:15 PM   #7

Yes, I know it all

Yes, I know it all.

First off the Motor one on the head is a breather tube, it was hooked up to the SMOG . You can plug it, keep it open, whatever runs better .

Manifold tube, same issue . The manifold for that bike is not for that Carb.
I would almost bet the Manifold is too small . Take it off and measure the intake of the Carb going into the manifold , and the manifold intake connection at the carb , and see if they are equal. They should be equal, but if not , no biggy . The tube on the intake is for Smog too , plugging it is fine. Ideally you want at least 22mm intake=22mm carb opening into the intake, but the intake could be bigger , not the other way around. I use 22mm as expample, it could both be any MM carb manifold combo .
Understand now ?

And yes all those little Mikunis have both adjustments, you just don't know where they are.

First off is the Idle adjustment, it is that screw above the "Japan" printing in your picture. These carbs idle nearly all the way screwed in looking on that model carb . Back it out and you will discover a Spring, and a needle valve , I promise ! I have the same carb, but in 24mm , I know what I am talking about here.
Air-fuel is underneath the carb, on the Bowl section of the carb , on the side of the carb that sits closest to the intake manifold . You will see what looks like a long vertical solid shaft ? It is right next to it, countersunk into the alluminum with a straightslot screwdriver head in there. It is small, but it is there. You will have a hard time seeing it mounted on the bike, but once you know where it is you can adjust it just fine on the bike. It is countersunk for a reason so it won't get bumped .
Those are nice carbs and that answers all your questions.
Enjoy, Kelly out

Old 04-22-2008, 09:44 PM   #8

kelly5150 - Thanks a ton!

I was wondering if the screw above the japan stamp was the idle screw.
I'll have to look at the bottom for the mixture screw. I have to take it
apart to move the needle down one more anyhow. It is running lean even
with the bigger carb. Looks like I have a mission for tomorrow. Thanks
again!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:03 PM   #9

Glad to help

Glad to help you out, no problem .

Cheers, Enjoy !

Don't change your slide until you adjust that mixture screw first, that's what it's for man . Open it up a bit to richen it up , you will hear the bike come into its own nice smooth idle and sound if that is what it needed. Back it off if that doesn't work. Start at about 1 and a half turns, then do the adjsutments from that point , remembering how many half turns you made, so you can go back to them . If the airfuel mixture screw doesn't have any desireable effect on your carbon build-up on that plug, then adjust that slide. This is not Religeon, you can do it your owne way too, whatever you want , but that is how I tune my bikes . It works good . The slide is more for good idle in my opinion. It does let air in or dampens it down , but the tuneing screw is for tuning, get it ? Your motor will talk to you and let you know if that is what it needs . It may very well only need a slight half turn to get that carbon right, so adjusting that first might be a good idea . Its easier than yanking the carb fifteen times first only to realize you didn't need to do that .!!!

Cheers man, Kelly out

Old 04-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #10

Kelly is becoming the Pit bike expert.

Good job.

Allen

Old 04-23-2008, 09:26 AM   #11

Thanks

Thanks Katoranger ,

Kelly is no expert , Bruce is . Seriously !!!!!!!

I know what has worked for me though , especially on Mikuni's .
For me , carburetor tuning takes a long time . I actually ride it then test the carbon build-up each time I mess with the carb to evaluate it correctly. Most people just start turning stuff and changing slide stuff and I just don't think that works very well , for me that is . It not only takes proper Carbon build-up on that plug to get the mixture right , but it takes getting the performance right too with your adjustments . That is the trick, and it takes time to evaluate that when you turn the mixture screw even half a turn , period . It took me a year or so to properly get the Norton to where I like it . Good burn, no stall , super fast . That works !
Even if you change slide postions , you still need to tune that air-fuel mixture to get the best performance and burn , period .
Oh then might I add messing around with Spark plug gaps in conjunction with all that adjustment stuff on the carbs too, good grief it is an art man, a real art . If you don't have an ear for it, your done
Ha ha ha , you all ought to try a Harley !!!
You want to talk about a motor that has a V-Twin, huge pistons and carb, that the "V" is not a true "V" , it has a slight angle difference in each cylinder head, sucks gas different in each head , idles off-beat by design, the timing for each head is different ,and try to tune that ! When its on though, there is nothing that sounds as nice, or cool to your ears . But, that motor takes some ART tuning for sure . There aint a strobe light out there that has ever got my ear to agree with it . Its mostly in your ears man .Especially on those older Iron Heads like mine .

Cheers, over and out, Kelly5150

Old 04-23-2008, 11:03 AM   #12

ImEasy

ImEasy ,

If you get that shock on E-Bay , and it is actually an 11" and your running a 10" now , it will raise your tail section very high . One inch on the shock strutt will be several inches on the rear tail section. Should be mighty nice for your 6'2" profile . I have the same issue only I am 2" shorter than you, and alot uglier I am sure You WILL have some chain drag on the swingarm while parked or jumping, but I hear that aint no biggy as long as your swingarm has protection and you are running a chain roller too underneath to keep things tight and from skipping off your sprockets .
I went with massive Jumper front ends on both my recent builds , but went with traditional frames , so I had to fabricate the strutts to get it higher for me to sit Horizontal . I ran both 10-1/2" shocks on each build , but I still had to fabricate the strutts to get it where I wanted. You might be ok with the 11" shock all by itself as long as it doesn't hit the backbone of your frame when you raise the bike to instal it . I had that problem on one of my frames . I did one without welding , used flat hardened steel plates and bolts to fabricate it , and can certainly guide you through it if you need that too . If you don't weld, this is a good option and super strong .

Cheers, kelly out

Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM   #13

Well I went out and messed around with the carb today. Man the idle screw is
easy to get to and adjust. The mixture screw on the other hand is impossible
to get to. Even with the tiny screwdriver I have. I will have to take the carb
off in order to adjust that screw. Quite the bummer. Happen to have any idea
where to start (turns)? It definitely is running lean. It stumbles on acceleration
and pops on deceleration. It does purr like a kitten at idle though. This is
for sure a science.

I understand completely about the harley motor as I owned a Buell for over
twelve years. It didn't seem as hard as these pitbikes to tune though as
everything was out in the open and very easy to reach.

I hate owning a second hand bike as the previous owner didn't take very
good care of it. One of the reasons I prefer to buy new. Just wish I could
afford too!

I don't know about you being uglier than me though. I am one ugly SOB...
laughs. A pic from the Indy race at Mid Ohio last summer. A Bud and a
smile... can't beat that.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:55 PM   #14

Completely forgot to mention the shock. I truly doubt I will win the one I am
bidding on as I have never won anything that wasn't a buy it now. If I do I
really hope it will raise this thing a lot. It kinda feels as if I am sitting on the
ground on this thing. The original shock is definitely shot, it does work kinda
but It really needs a new one. Once again wish me luck... bout two days
until it ends.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 AM   #15

Yo Bro

Yo Brother ImEazy ,
Sorry been busy today, would have got back sooner, but well , you know how it is . Had to drop off the Miss's and her Z-28 for a new exhaust system . She is such a motor head

I forgot to mention my special little secret on how to turn that screw didn't I , my bad Oooops !
I use a straight slot screwdriver tip from any multi tipped scredriver set, bit set . Put it in a foot long peice of 1/4 oil line, fuel line , black hose, you know ? Bend it up into where that screw is and start turning . It isn't that hard, but it works good once you have done it awhile .
Tighten the screw all the way in till barely snug, resistance is all you need, then back it out about 1-1/2 full turns . Unfortuntely yours sounds CRITICAL , and you may need that slide adjustment too eventually . It is definately starving for fuel , and probably air too . Depending on how impatient you are you could always just do a slide adjustment too while its off for giggles . Check for intake manifold leaks too while your at it with a can of WD-40 , spray it around the intake manifold connection at carb and at cylinder mount while running and see if it changes idle . If it does, there is the root of your problems , period . Check for leaks before you do anything though , or your spitting into the Ohio wind and that aint pretty from what I hear .

Let us know how it goes ? Count how many turns it was set at too as you start turning it in just so you'll know where it was if you need to go back to it .

Cheers, Kelly