Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Pure Dirt
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #1

Tao Tao 125 and Apollo 250 RX

I am looking at a Tao Tao 125 DB17 dirt bike for my son, and an Apollo 250 RX for myself.

Anything I should be doing/checking to these before we take them for a rip?

Break in period?

Still not sure where to buy them from either. Seems I can get them locally for 125 for $1199, and the 250 for $2000. Not sure if I can save much by buying direct from China... tried to navigate Taobao but seems I need a lot of practice before I could dream of finding anything there.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:30 PM   #2

If those are Canadian dollars that's not too bad... check and Loctite all bolts!!! I would be ready to change out the carb...stock ones are really bad. change out the spark plugs to ngk don't use the torch. lube the cables.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:38 PM   #3

That seems a bit expensive to me (if it's in USD). I just bought a x18 for $800 and a 250 RX for $1300 from Wholesale ATV. http://wholesaleatv.com/shop/dirt-bikes I made the long trek to pick them up in person (they will assemble them for you, no extra charge) and it went well. I'm pretty sure they will ship them to you as well. I used the Troy, IL. office and they were really great. Willing to share what I paid to the penny if you need.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:39 PM   #4

Ya, those are Canadian prices. They do seem reasonable based on some quick checks I did earlier.

What do you mean "don't use the torch."? Sorry if this should be obvious... I struggled with making the connection in other threads between the "cat" and what I think was being referred to the catalytic converter ;-)

Old 10-03-2016, 02:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifune View Post
That seems a bit expensive to me (if it's in USD). I just bought a x18 for $800 and a 250 RX for $1300 from Wholesale ATV. http://wholesaleatv.com/shop/dirt-bikes
The math on $1300 US comes to approx. $1700 CDN and that is without shipping... not even sure how easy it is to bring these across the border. I "think" I can talk my Canadian guy down a little bringing the difference between the prices even closer.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:53 PM   #6

Cat. if definitely referring to the catalytic converter (same abbreviation is used for cars). I think he's literally referring to a torch. Sometimes plugs bind and you can heat them (think propane torch) to help them release. Caveat: I'm new to bikes so it could be a reference I'm not familiar with.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaifune View Post
Cat. if definitely referring to the catalytic converter (same abbreviation is used for cars). I think he's literally referring to a torch. Sometimes plugs bind and you can heat them (think propane torch) to help them release. Caveat: I'm new to bikes so it could be a reference I'm not familiar with.
So obvious in hindsight ;-)

Old 10-03-2016, 02:55 PM   #8

As far as pricing, it looks close for sure. Or at least not worth the extra trouble.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:56 PM   #9

Knowledge is a stranger until you're introduced! or some drivel like that.

Old 10-03-2016, 02:59 PM   #10

'Torch' is a brand name of spark plugs that come in most China bikes. They appear to be pure junk.

https://www.google.com/search?q=torc...ih=676&dpr=1.5

/

Old 10-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adjuster View Post
'Torch' is a brand name of spark plugs that come in most China bikes. They appear to be pure junk.

https://www.google.com/search?q=torc...ih=676&dpr=1.5

/
Thanks for the clarification

Old 10-03-2016, 03:08 PM   #12

Since you are getting the Apollo for yourself I think you should stick with the Apollo brand for your son. They make a great 125cc called the big wheel (17" wheel). Here is one version of it but there are a few different versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Precis...ds=DB-X7+125cc

/

Old 10-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #13

By the way Apollo bikes appear to have an all around pretty good reputation. I don't think you will go wrong with Apollo.

/

Old 10-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #14

Assuming your thinking is that the bikes are similar in build and share some parts or at least design...I had that thought but the smaller Apollo's don't seem as readily available to me in Canada.

I will ask the guy who sells the 250 what he can bring the 125 in for.

Quote:
Since you are getting the Apollo for yourself I think you should stick with the Apollo brand for your son. They make a great 125cc called the big wheel (17" wheel). Here is one version of it but there are a few different versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Precis...ds=DB-X7+125cc
/

Old 10-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #15

Great to hear that!

Quote:
By the way Apollo bikes appear to have an all around pretty good reputation. I don't think you will go wrong with Apollo.
/