Go Back   ChinaRiders Forums > Technical/Performance > Dual Sport/Enduro
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2011, 09:32 AM   #1

still no spark

hey i was wondering if you guys can help on a previous forum i was having some issues with my bike. now i have no spark. it died as i was crusing on it and the rpms just gradually dropped off till i was coasting.
i tried to get it started until i killed the battery (being that i wasnt that close to my house)
anyways im still having no spark. my first step was changing the spark plug, then i changed the cdi before doing any real testing with my multimeter. now i tested almost everything, it all seems within the right spec range and everything seems to be functioning normally, but still no spark. the engine turns over but there is absolutley zero spark. i tested

the cdi box (brand new from zongshen america)
the ignition coil
voltage to and through the ignition coil
voltage from cdi to coil
resistor cap & "rewired" the cap
engine kill switch (functioning normally but we bypassed it anyway)
ignition switch works fine.
all the connections in the headlight housing are connected and there is no corrosion
main fuse is in good shape
full battery charge (sitting on a tender)
took off the left case and checked the stator. it looks fine and we tested the 3 yellow wires
also tested the regulator rectifier even though its in the charging system
frame ground is good so is coil ground

are there any other grounds im missing? prehapse a connection i havent checked yet? are there any sensors that would prevent the bike from starting up like a clutch position switch or kickstand switch?
since we pretty much tested the whole ignition and charging system, does anyone have any ideas?
im thinking it must be something small and dumb like a ground that im overlooking or a bad wire in the harness. an input would help, as well as if anyone can verify ground and power wire colors for me on my 2006 zongshen 200 sierra 200gy-2. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #2

Hi!
Yes it has kickstand switch(for starting you need contact on these 2 wires) and a clutch switch.
I see you already checked all ignition components so...
Try checking the stator and pickup coil harness conections...its located on the left side of the motorcycle near the carb and has a little rubber cap for protection above...inside of that is one white plastic connector with 2 wires and 2 or 3 wires with plug/socket conections. I had that problem on my Zong and it wouldnt start...dont remember which one but one wire wasnt conected.

Also you can try starting it in the dark with tank taken off,and try to see if your coil and plug cable are sparking somewhere on the frame (isolation on sparkplug cable is damaged,pierced,cracked so you cant get spark on the plug )...i also had this problem,saw it in the dark,but DARK,changed the spark plug cable,rotated the ignition coil for 180 degrees facing down so the cable cant touch the frame anymore and now it fires every time with no problems..

You can download service manual from this forum , on the end of it is electric wiring diagram to determinate wire colors of Zong instalations.Its located in the first sticky.

Hope somthing of this willl help.
Greetings!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #3

Out of curiosity, did you confirm your spark plug wire was in good shape? The end the connects to the plug can get corroded if there was a hinky connection or you are a deep water fan . But either way, pull the plug, and ground it against the frame and see if it sparks.

daddy 8)

Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM   #4

^^Agreed^^

How have you been checking for spark? The only visible way is the method daddy469 shared. Pull the plug from the head, insert it into the plug wire boot, hold the plug body against the head and crank the engine.

If you don't see spark, unscrew the plug wire from the coil. To do that, peel back the boot where the plug wire exits the coil, and physically turn the wire to unscrew it. You'll see that there is a small stud inside the coil that the wire screws on to. Check the plug wire for continuity.

I don't suspect any safety switches, because they normally only lock out the electric starter. Your symptom is that the bike died while you were riding; the only switch that could create that symptom would be a kill switch or key switch.

"I figure I'm well-prepared for coping with a bike that comes from the factory with unresolved issues and that rewards the self-reliant owner." - Buccaneer

Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriel
...Yes it has kickstand switch(for starting you need contact on these 2 wires) and a clutch switch...
The Zongshen 200GY-2 sold in the United States of America does not have either a kickstand switch, or a clutch switch. The Zong sold in the U.S.A. does not have any safety switches.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-25-2011, 09:29 PM   #6

You said you replaced the spark plug. If you tested the voltage from the CDI unit to the ignition coil, along with the voltage to, and through the ignition coil, the problem must reside with with the spark plug wire. I encourage you to follow the advice of Daddy469, and Weldangrind.

Spud

"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level, and beat you with experience." Mark Twain

2015 Zongshen ZS250GY-3 (RX3)
2006 Zongshen ZS200GY-2 (Sierra 200)
2005 Honda XR650L
2004 Honda CRF250X
1998 Kawasaki KDX220

Mods made to my Zongshen ZS200GY-2: http://www.chinariders.net/showthread.php?t=6894

Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 PM   #7

I know this only has somehat to do with this thread - But I bought and installed one of these on my "Q" - I can always tell If I have SPARK - Check it out and read the description....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWNX%3AIT

Andrew - AKA Gadget Boy per Barnone! - lol

I feel your pain with the bike issues. Just went thru Carb issues on my "Q" But fortunately it was my own stupidity, but we all make mistakes.
I.m sure the guys here will guide you in the right direction and you'll be riding once again - Don't give up!
2009 Qlink XF200 Supermoto
1982 Honda CM200 Bobber - SOLD
2003 JEEP Liberty SPORT = 3" Lift
2002 Chevy Trailblazer LTZ - Family Cruiser

Old 03-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpudRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriel
...Yes it has kickstand switch(for starting you need contact on these 2 wires) and a clutch switch...
The Zongshen 200GY-2 sold in the United States of America does not have either a kickstand switch, or a clutch switch. The Zong sold in the U.S.A. does not have any safety switches.

Spud
:? Didnt know that, here in Croatia we have these buggers on almost every bike... :oops: Sorry for bad info then...
Hope you fix it and start riding it soon!